Speedster project update, moved handbrake.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Speedster project update, moved handbrake.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

I finally got around to moving the handbrake outside the body, It was just too close inside for my liking. Basically all I did was extend the handbrake shaft to move it outside the body and add a third frame bearing/bracket. I then "blacksmithed" a bracket from iron for support and a place to mount the quadrant and third frame bearing/bracket. The iron was taken from old farm equipment. Trying to stay true to the era, I hand formed everything. The four welds were done with a mig to put in the "root pass" and then finished up with brazing. I like the strength of the steel "root pass" and the looks of the brazing. Even after re-riveting the handle to the new shaft it still was a very little bit loose on the shaft. That is why I brazed the handle to the end of the shaft. The hardest part was all the measuring and fitting, over and over till it fit right. The shaft extension was tig welded for safety's sake. Just a lot of time consuming parts making for such a little (but important) part. So now,that's one more part out of the way. :-) :-) There is a galvanized "trim piece that fits onto the yellow rail around the bottom of the body. There will also be a "skirt" to hide the frame rails and battery box. It will be aprox 5 to 6 inches wide under the body, and taper up to both ends of the frame.

handbrake 1

handbrake 2

handbrake 3

handbrake 4

handbrake 5

handbrake 6

handbrake 7

handbrake 8

handbrake 9

handbrake 10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

I forgot. All the nuts and bolts are temporary. Ill find original rusty bolts for the final fitup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

nice work. i have to say i used to have all my hardware in one gallon cans, and painted different colors just like you do!! i've never seen another do it that way. all my 5/16 stuff was red, 3/8 was green, etc. always found it by color. all gone now and i have real drawers where i cant find stuff as fast. sorry for the drift, great looking speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

Clayton, I built that rack of cans about 35 years ago. It has been one of the handiest things I ever made. Each color means something. Red is fine thread, green is bolts by size, blue is washers, ect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

Donnie,
Looks like a great idea. More room in the "cockpit." Thanks for the update,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Great work, I like it so well I may copy your design! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Very nice fabricating. Very impressive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 02, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

I plan on adding one of the accessory handbrake handles to the stock handle. It should move everything back enough for me to reach it OK. I decided to leave all my parts I moved outside in the same plane as the original parts and not bend or change any of the original geometry. I was planning on using the accessory handle, so did not see the need to change anything. I found a couple pics of the accessory handle on the web.

handle 1

handle 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:03 am:

Nice work. Since you are going to all the trouble, now is the time to move the whole assembly back about 8 inches. Then use a short link to operate a cross shaft in the original location to release the clutch. Much more sanitary than an extension on the handle and you can place the lever exactly where it is most comfortable for you. I am six feet plus tall and this makes reaching the lever much easier when I have moved the seats and steering way back.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:24 am:

Donnie,

I really like the rebar saw horses. That is southern engineering that fits a T! I bet a T guy from Kansas (and some other friends of mine) are wondering why they did not think of that. I know that I am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 06:17 am:

Nice work Donnie. I think it fits the era great, and kept it rather simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Erik. I thought about moving it back and using a "chain drive" to do the activation. But I wanted to stay as "simple" as possible. I also like accessories, so the handle extension is OK for me. One other part of my "design" is I did not want any of the parts attached to the body. My bracket attaches to the same original holes the quadrant used. Then I have a small brace from the bottom, center, outside, of my new bracket to the top of the frame rail. It is very solid. With the placement of the new third bearing/bracket close to the end of the shaft and the handle, there can be very little to no flex at the area the pawl meets the quadrant. I bought the rebar saw horses years ago at a auction here in the hills of Arkansas (hillbilly engineering) I gave 2.00 for them :-) been a very well spent 2.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 09:42 am:

That body is just incredible Donnie. I know the subject is the handbrake, but with every picture you post that has the body anywhere in it, I am struck by how great - how AUTHENTIC - it looks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration