OT - The (mis) adventures of a Pacific NW Model K, part 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - The (mis) adventures of a Pacific NW Model K, part 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

The other thread was getting long, and there is more.......

You know your having a bad day when you, your wife and car make the front page of the Seattle Times due to her injury traffic accident:

Sep 4, 1907

Then, the local paper writes an editorial about her driving:
Sep 5, 1907

It just doesn't get any better (or worse) than this......

Or does it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

it looks like they weren't on the front page, they WERE the front page!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

Clayton,
I "chopped" the top headline out so the story and heading would be sized right. Still about a quarter of the front page was dedicated to the story. Even more unusual are the photos (not a lot of pics in old newspapers I've looked at):

As if matters weren't bad enough for the Baumgartner's, on the 14th of September we learn they are being sued over the accident. The suit in today's dollars would equal about $375,000:

And yes, there's more.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 06:35 pm:

So attorney's chasing ambulances is nothing new. I wonder if it because Baumgartner's are wealthy that they are being sued.

Mrs. Baumgartner the party animal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Denny,
It appears suing for damages, justified and otherwise, is not a new concept...:-)

By now, the Baumgartner's have had a tough few weeks. However, they still need to get the Model K home from Seattle. What do you do? You plan a trip with a few friends, and your niece, and drive the car back to Portland.

Unfortunately, it becomes the "trip from hell." The car is disabled by broken springs, mired in mid, almost plunges off a cliff, and leaves the passengers stranded overnight. Following the trip, Mr. Baumgartner says "no more trips for me."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

i hate that when my machine wont answer the call of the driver. great stories rob, thanks again for your effort. as we see every day how the media can twist a story, this guy sounds like he was on the trip with them. i guess they remembered the trip from hell accurately enough to tell him

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 12:47 am:

Clayton,
It appears the Baumgartner's got over the trip pretty quickly. A few days later they are reported driving to the state fair in Salem:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 03:16 am:

WOW!
But you can't keep a good autoist down.
Thanks Rob.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

And I thought women of today took a lot of funding for up keep. This lady will break the bank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Wayne, your welcome.

Denny, and her troubles weren't over yet. This article explains how difficult it is to empanel a jury for Mrs. Baumgartner's trial, because of prejudice by prospective jurors (all men) against both automobiles and women drivers:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

I guess some of those fellows wanted to hang her and then give her a fair trial after the funeral.

Quote: "John Woods, "Women folk ain't strong..." I guess he didn't look across the courtroom and see the size of Mrs. Baumgartner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 07:47 pm:

As it turns out, having a good lawyer was as important in 1908 as now (is that an oxymoron?).

The Baumgartner's lawyer successfully argued that Mr. Baumgartner was not involved with the accident. As a result, "the little missus" only had a net worth of $500, and that was the sum awarded to the accident victim:

Almost finished with the saga of this Portland Model K.

The Baumgartner's are about to learn one more lesson about Fords that we are all aware of. Any guesses what that is? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 10:38 pm:

Since the Baumgartner's didn't own a trailer the lesson they learned couldn't have been the "trailer march."

Nevertheless, the lesson might have involved starting the K on a cold day with heavy oil in the transmission.....and being run over by their own car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Tim, both of us have experienced the wrath of a Model K with stiff grease in the tranny trying to run us over (starting on a cold day). However, the event Mr. Baumgartner learned about the hard way would later plague hundreds (maybe thousands) of Model T owners to this day. The dreaded "kickback." In other words, like the Model T, the "K" can bite. This is the second news account I've found of a Model K owner breaking an arm cranking his machine. Mr. Baumgartner's arm is reported broken while cranking the K after an Elks club meeting:

Not to be deterred, the Baumgartner's are reported to be leaving for a tour of southern Oregon two weeks later with their "six-cylinder, 40-horsepower Ford."

Due to his broken arm, it's reported that Mrs. B will do most of the driving. I bet she would have driven regardless of the injury to Mr. B.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

Poor Mr Baumgartner.. It's easy to forget to check if the spark is properly retarded when showing off how easy the Ford six is to start after some drinks with the boys at the Elk's club..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

I'm still back on some poor sap getting run down by Mrs. B. and while the news report
said the guy was hurt badly, he gets stiffed for recompense by the not-so-financially-
hurting Baumgartners. I wonder just what culpability our injured man had and just how
severe his injuries were ?

One thing in life that chaps my ass, it's people not doing the right thing, especially if
someone gets hurt. The mists of time have probably obscured this one forever. I hope
the poor guy wasn't permanently maimed at the hands of a buffoon driver and then
overwhelmed by a superior depth of pockets for legal matters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Burger, all 100% true, i agree completely however, the doctor bill was probably about fifty bucks, not the stupidness we see today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:33 am:

The rate of $50 in 1907 in todays dollars is $1250

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Rob-
If you haven't, I suggest you contact the Portland Rose Festival. They might have some archive information and/or photos about Mrs. G and the Model K.

Did the Model K have one of those type of coils that you cam prime the engine, then push the button in and "start on the spark?" I was wondering about the cranking ability of Mrs. G.

: ^ )

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

While the newspaper reports seem to ignore it, Mrs. Baumgartner was
a former Russian Olympic wrestler and shot-putter, competing in the men's
heavyweight classes. She was known to throw men like folding chairs
when provoked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Keith,
Good idea, I sent an email off. On their website they mention the festival is over one hundred years old. It would be great if they have photos or more info on the Baumgartner's winning car......
Burger......... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

The Portland Rose Festival had a very nice Centennial Celebration in 2007.

I know the City of Portland has come through for you in the past.

Is this Mrs. B. at the wheel?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Keith,
It looks like a car with less spokes in the front wheel (unless the "color" artist took liberties).

I meant to add, the K does not have a button to fire all cylinders like some ignition systems did. However, with six cylinders, it seems easier to prime and have a compression start than with a four cylinder (explosion every 120 degrees instead of 180).
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Rob, I noticed at the bottom of the following thread

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/510315.html?1425402725

a photo of a K 6-40 roadster said to be owned by Willard Pike. The car clearly has ten spoke front wheels.
Farther up in the same thread are clippings from a 1954 news article and photo said to be showing Elmer Bemis on a rally in England in a model K? It also has ten spoke front wheels. Same car? Different times? Maybe not a K?
Then, another car photo captioned "This same Model K became part of the Towe Museum collection, and today is located at the California Automotive Museum:" clearly shows twelve spoke front wheels. So, is this the same car? Were wheels changed at some point? Are all the pictured cars Ks? (American Underslungs have been mis-identified as Ford Ks in poor resolution photos, I cannot provide a link, but recall the discussion. And some of them DID have ten spoke front wheels)
The question becomes; did some model Ks have ten spoke front wheels back in their day? They may have had wheels from another large car or after-market supplier adapted at some time later.

As for the postcard photo posted by Kieth T. I don't think that is a Ford K. The hood is too short. For that matter. I am not sure those are women in the car. One of them looks like there is a mustache on the upper lip.
Anyway. Thanks all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

Hmm, if Mrs. B did compete in sports in the men's division & could throw folks around "like folding chairs" maybe she had a mustache too???
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Often mistaken for Abe Lincoln when she forgot to shave. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration