Historic plates wasn't understood by police - owner got arrested

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Historic plates wasn't understood by police - owner got arrested
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

This turned up in my Facebook flow.. flow:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=namOxeGceCo

Be aware when driving with historic plates in areas where the police aren't fully capable of running their computer checks..
This Washington couple drove a Chevy, but it could as wall have been a Ford where the VIN was one number from some stolen vehicle..

(fortunately we haven't got any historic plates over here, special plates for antiques would have been an invitation for the authorities to restrict use..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

I was once stopped by a highway patrol officer who didn't know about the YOM law. I sat waiting for about twenty minutes while he was on his radio having it explained to him. Since then I carry a copy of the law, with the pertinent passages highlighted, in the car along with the registration and the insurance card. You can't assume that everybody is competent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:17 pm:

Honestly Steve, when it comes to the police, you have to assume they are completely incompetent. I make a point to not have to have any personal interaction with them, but, the stories I get from friends and stories I see like this one just leave me without much confidence in law enforcement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

Your tax dollars at work........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

I don't understand, who taped all the footage? It looks like it would have had to be the police.

What a nightmare! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

Expect it to get worse as Obama is seizing control of local law enforcement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:20 pm:

i'd sue them too, thats crazy! is that how the police are in washington? gun point for a traffic arrest? thats why i have never used the YOM plates, they are cute, but i dont trust that all the cops know what they are. one elderly friend i had, since passed, used YOM plates for 20 years and never had them registered to the car! i guess they would have shot him

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Since Missouri permits them, cops seem to be aware of them here (i.e. they don't even pay any attention to them). When I used to go on tours in other states, I also carried a copy of Missouri's YOM plate law.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

The same kind of thing happened to my brother. The difference was that his car didn't come back as stolen. He did have to drive to Libby, MT (300 miles or so, round trip) to attend court, but ultimately got the ticket thrown out.

Link to newspaper article below.

http://www.thewesternnews.com/members/desire-to-correct-a-wrong-helped-bring-mon tana-to-libby/article_78fc2b52-98df-11e3-bc1d-001a4bcf887a.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

Read the article. It says, "The engine sends 20 horsepower of torque" It also states we have "the original automatic transmission". Funny, I've been driving mine for years. It hasn't shifted automatically yet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

The police in my country can deal with that situation with only one person, no megaphone required and they don't normally have guns.
They don't make you take your shirt off either, they just talk to you. Some idiot pulled me over for having a broken window while i was driving to a place to get it fixed and he was holding my license and walking around with it as if he was going to run away with it. i thought he over reacted then too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

I hope that Libby officer got reprimanded--he should have also paid your brother's expenses!
Egads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

There are good guys and idiots.
It's sad to say that the idiots make things bad for the good guys and force the legislators to make ridiculous laws that defy common sense just to attempt to clarify things.
Lawyers are the worse at ignoring common sense by using loopholes to get people off.
Take the Boston marathon bomber for example - Why would any self respecting lawyer drag this out for years?
On the other hand there are few folks that say the kid was setup and he didn't do it- those are the ones that really concern me.
Have they lost all ability to reason?

The officers in our town are great
I am sorry that the same can't be said for the rest of the world

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I used to admire police officers and often defended their actions (they were NOT wrong with Rodney King, I saw the whole tape). But society as a whole, our government in general, and what are now considered by most people in government to be "its" police officers have all gone a long ways down hill over the past forty years.
Sorry. But Abraham Lincoln's "Government of the people, by the people, and for the people" has been replaced by "Government of the masses, by the selected, and for the chosen few".

I should shut up now. But I will relate one more story.
I was once held by the police at gunpoint. Officers in an unmarked car.
It was almost 45 years ago. I was treated respectfully, and I did not mind. I was not aware of it until they told me, but there had been an armed robbery just a few blocks away about twenty minutes earlier. They had to use due caution. They treated me with respect, I treated them with respect. They decided I was not who they were looking for. We chatted for a few minutes, they apologized, I said "No problem, have a good evening". They continued patrolling the area and I continued my walk.
That is the way it should be. Forty five years ago, I probably would have never believed it would get SO BAD during my lifetime.

I read a report about this collector car incident on Yahoo News two nights ago. It said they were from Washington, but the incident happened in Nevada. So state boundaries and information added to the incompetence of more than one clerical error. But there is NO excuse for the way these people were treated by people they should be able to trust.

Do be careful out there. W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Ever since the depression, when the LA cops were beating up Okies, they have had a reputation for violence. A former co-worker hated Thanksgiving, as that was when he would have to listen to his brother-in-law, a Signal Hill cop, brag about all the N... they had beat up.

A Signal Hill high school football star was killed by those same cops a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 09:32 pm:

Signal Hill was notorious for DWB stops. I hope they've cleaned up their act.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan Bright on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

I carry a copy of the legislation in my glovebox. I have been stopped twice for the YOM tags. Both times, after presenting the legislation, I was waved past. I figure the cops have enough problems to worry about. If i can help their day progress easily, then thats just fine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 12:59 am:

Dave Wells, yeah, they always get stuff wrong. They have me saying a bunch of stuff that I never said too.

David Dewey, they fired the cop that gave my brother the ticket. I don't know if it was for that or something else or a combination of that and other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 02:13 am:

Tom, Ah, ain't Karma a bitch??
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 07:54 am:

As a retired Sgt. my thoughts. Most dept's but
not all have inservice training. Here it is every
six months usually conducted by the state police
for a week. Hate to say we stuff a cruiser with
officers for more like a night in town. (I did not
say that LOL) I went to a different class being
a supervisor and not once in my career was this
subject touched on as well as apportioned / commercial plates. Although I had to take new
kids under my wings we never bothered with this.
Or I would not allow it. I was the boss don't cha
know. My Chief had the same theory, which I agree
and he got in the shits for allowing a fleet of
antiques trucks cars you name it with no plates
for memorial day. The idea was like say a brass
auto has the American right; we should be grandfathered and yet here I posses my grandfathers 4 digit plate that comes back to
around 1907 so I get penalized here and pay 50 more bucks??? so I pay it ! Is that right? NO
thats my family rights to preserve our past and
I pay : So bottom line is officers just have
not had up to date training. I discount bad apples or the brain deads but they come out in the
wash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

In Michigan you have to get YOM plates registered by sending a photo copy of the plate to the Sect. of State office in Lansing. You cannot get them registered at your local SOS office. As a result your plate number was put in a different data base from regular plates. Consequently validation of your YOM plate registration was not possible by a patrolman during a traffic stop. This was a problem a few years ago and my have been corrected by now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

You would think that for six figure salaries, we would get police who were smart enough to understand that if the licence plate number matches the number on the ownership, it probably means the plates are registered to the car. Oh wait, they're protected by the public service unions. Never mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

Ha! When I worked for the city, our "Union" (we weren't allowed to call them that, they were "Associations") was basically worthless--many employees just dropped out, as they thought the $17/mo membership was wasted. I know they never helped me with my employment issues (the city was actually breaking their policies with me--but Gee, they laid me off, I don't have to deal with them anymore! Don't have to deal with earning a living either, but that's another matter--far less stressful than the city hall mess! Yes, I could sue them, but it would take years, and the lawyer would get rich, and the ones that wronged me would not even be around by then--no sense costing the taxpayers any more $$$. )
Sorry, got off topic--And yes, I thought Dave's comment IS funny!
Hey Gary, the CA DMV doesn't trust their local offices either--you can apply at one, but they have to make a Xerox copy of your YOM plates and send it in with all the paperwork so Sacramento can bless it.
"Forgive me Clerk, for I have erred" "And what is the nature of your err, son?" "I bought a car without a clean title" "Ah, for penance you must go through many hoops of paperwork and endless misdirections".
:-)
Do I need to add:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

There are incompetent people in all walks of life- then again I have had good experiences with Police and old cars- more good ones recently!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 07:49 am:

I have YOM plates on all my antiques. I was pulled over once for no brake light in the Touring. Then the guy said something about the YOM plate. I showed him the "Real" plate that was under the seat and explained the law to him (On YOM plates as well as original equipment). After 15 minutes of him sitting in his air conditioned patrol car on the phone with his superiors and me sitting in the hot sun with no air moving, he got out and handed me my license and such and I was on my way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kent sumner on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Several years ago I was pulled over in Milwaukee for exceeding the speed limit in a hospital zone by 30 mph. I was driving a stock 1919 T. I know for a fact that I could not have been going 60 mph in a 30 zone. The female motorcycle officer was about 3 blocks ahead and aiming her radar down the street at me and the car that was speeding by next to me. She also started giving me a hard time about seat belts, brake lights, ect. All said and done I had a ticket for over 200.00. Several guys in our local model t club were city of Milwaukee police officers so after consulting with them, they even showed up to the court hearing because they wanted to see what the judge would say. So after bringing pictures of my car and several pieces of period literature showing my car should really not be able to obtain 60 miles per hour, the judge looked over at the officer and instructed her to apologize to me and then proceeded to apologize for wasting my time. I still have a copy of that ticket today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Here in Texas you have an attached sticker that validates the old plate.

Bill

plate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:40 am:

We lived in Utah after living in TN for many years, my daughter was going to Grad school in Pittsburgh,PA, our move and her move all happened at the same time, Her car was registered in my name, she still had a TN drivers license, I registered her car in Utah, , PA has a vehicle emission check and is reciprocal with Utah, so she went to the testing station and had her car tested, A policeman stopped her and told her she needed to remove the sticker because the car was not licensed in PA, he gave her a warning, so she did, a few weeks later she was stopped by another policeman who gave her a ticket for not having a sticker, she was upset and called me, I got all the information and called the police dept. and spent about three hours on the phone trying to get ahold of someone who knew the laws ,I finally hung up and told her to pay the fine and not to worry about the sticker, just keep all the information in her car in case she was stopped again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 11:25 am:

I was stopped years ago in my home town for driving a car with expired plates (like ten years out). I pointed out the temporary operating permit in the corner of the window but that didn't interest him. He wanted me to pull the plates. I handed him a stack of DMV paperwork and pointed out that the license plate number was on every document. About then he noticed that I only lived 2 blocks from where he stopped me so he told me to go home and don't drive the car til it was registered. I drove it home, waited 10 minutes and took off again. I wan't going to let ignorance spoil my day. And for those that know me, it was NOT Lisa that stopped me, same car but she stopped me in my driveway. Lied to me and lied to the city for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Idaho issues an annual sticker with matching number which I don't like the looks of but I see it is a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

I don't run no stiken tags on my year of make plates but I do carry them in the tool box. The cops can punch your license plate number into their onboard computer and tell if your legally registered or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

In Ontario, they allow the attachment of a "mini plate" to hold the sticker if there in no room for it on the plate. Some people put it on the bumper next to the plate. I put mine on the tire carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 06:56 am:

I was surprised when I shipped my Kamper to the USA that I could use the Australian historic plates to drive across to Richmond Indiana and back via Canada.

Not once in 10,000 miles were we stopped by anyone.

Though several times police, sheriffs, and other law enforcement officers stopped to check out the Model T when we were parked somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Texas Gulf Coast on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:07 am:

I have a WW2 Jeep that uses the Hood Number as a license plate. There is no plate anywhere on the vehicle. I carry a letter from the State of Texas explaining. I have educated more than one Rookie Officer. I have displayed YOM plates along with my Antique Texas plate on both Model Ts and Model As. I got stopped once for displaying more than one license plate. I think he just wanted to see the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Peter, the U.S. and most other countries signed an agreement in Geneva in 1949 I think. You can drive anything, anywhere that is legal in your country while visiting another. One time a man brought a Smart Crossblade (look that car up) from England to Florida. He got hauled off the road for having no windshield. He found out about the agreement and contacted the media too. Next thing you know, he had a letter from the Florida Patrol stating he was free to enjoy his car in Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:54 am:

In 1977, Anja and I drove a 1936 Austin Ten with Dutch registration and plate (PD-34-03) 6,500 miles through the US and Canada. We were only stopped once, by the New Brunswick Provincial Police. After doing the official part (looking stern, asking for papers, etc.) one of the cops admitted that they had stopped us just because they were curious about the car and wanted a look at it. He later seemed concerned that I might be angry about being stopped. I told him it was okay if he would let me take a picture of the little Austin with the large NBPP cruiser behind it. (I still have the picture, but it was pre-digital and I don't know where it is.)

Here is the car:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration