OT Model A Cabrolet - Painting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Model A Cabrolet - Painting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Some of us enjoyed the Montana Mail Truck in past discussions:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/280550.html?1333763156

I thought I would reconstruct it to a more correct configuration (except wheels). I also used some buildings from one of Jay's photos.

Rich

A few Model A's now and then help us appreciate Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

My hat is off to you Richard.
Thank you for using your talent the way you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Thanks Herb. There are relatively few folks who enjoy old pictures but the forum has a lot of us that do. I am indebted to you and Jay and the others who find the wonderful black and white photos that capture those years. Also, my Father captured some great things on 16mm. The children in my painting are my brother and sister.

All we can do is try.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

rich,
I don't know if you intended it, but there are enough details in your painting to date the car to an early '30! Well, at least pre-June 30. With the V-8 wheels on it, I would guess your painting would be around 1940 or so?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 11:21 pm:

David, I hadn't given it much thought but the car is a '30, the buildings photo had a Model T in it originally and the children would have been photographed about 1944 or '45. The patina on the car could be 10 or more years old. Getting the shapes and the colors where they don't bother me consumes most of my time. I wish I had the knack Norman Rockwell had for really telling a story. It's just a fun way to spend time as is playing with old cars.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

great stuff Richard, you always amaze me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 02:57 am:

Rich,
well, I think the reflection in the window glass is really amazing, so I think your "our" Norman Rockwell!
Check out these pics for some "inspiration" The CHP officer really is one, does historic appearances. The Roadster is one I did back when I had a restoration shop. Long story there, but no longer have that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 03:16 am:

Rich - David Dewey "hit the nail on the head"!

"You're our Norman Rockwell"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 03:34 am:

Richard E,
Yes, a lot of people on this forum love the old black and white (sepia and others) photos posted by Jay, Herb, David G, and a dozen other regulars.
I think nearly all of us also love your paintings! They are so wonderful how real, and fitting, they look. Just beautiful. And such incredible talent.
I agree, also, you ARE OUR Norman Rockwell.
Thank you. Thank you to all of you.
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 04:35 am:

Beautiful work Richard. I wish that I had even a small proportion of your skill with a brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 07:26 am:

I know a lot of ya'll aren't sports fans but I grew up watching and loving college football. I'm a GT fan, and while I'm a Model T guy through and through I've always had a soft spot for a 1930 Model A Sport Coupe, or cabriolet as it were.

This is the Ramblin' Wreck, leads the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football team out onto the field before every home game.

As a T guy I've found the Model A crowd to be a bit snobbish, especially compared to the humble and helpful folks who drive T's. But I still love that white and gold car. =)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 08:26 am:

It's fun to see the photos David and Seth and thank you all for the kind words. Not to drift the thread but I hope nobody lost sleep over my miss-spelling of the word Cabriolet. Spell check did try to correct me but sometimes in my attempts to create I keep going my own direction. I realize some are more sensitive to errors like this even though they occasionally make them themselves.
Like Seth, I haven't found a model A group as who have the same appreciations that this Forum has or I would have posted the painting there. I sold my Model A many years ago but know a lot of great folks who own them. We are just lucky to have this Forum the way it is.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Richard I meant to say that your painting is fantastic. I got wrapped up in posting the picture and forgot what I wanted to say in the first place. LOL

Your painting is fantastic! I think one of the coolest parts to me is how well you depict the glass in the shop on the right. I can't imagine being able to convey that mixture of reflection and transparency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 08:58 am:

I started out with Model A's in the 60's in street rods and got tired of the car shows. no buddy just wanted to ride, too much chrome to polish. I then switched to just doing repair work on them for about 20 years for others. This got old, it's hard to please a customer that knows nothing about how the car they own was built or should run. I stayed away completely from antiques for about 20 years. Last year an old friend of mine showed up in my driveway in a 1915 touring and took me for a ride. I was hooked. within 2 weeks I had purchased my first model T 26 coupe. In the model A group, a rusted, bent up, engine smoking model A is called a "rat rod". but in the Model T group, the same condition model T is called original and beautiful. There is no comparison with the two groups of people. I build my T to drive and do it safely. If show is your preference, I can accept that too. I like looking at a 100 point car Model A or T. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 08:59 am:

Thanks Seth. The magic was in the photo Jay posted. I can't paint without some good reference material to go by.

I do collect a ridiculous amount of material before I am done with a painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

As the second owner of a '30 Model A Sport Coupe, I have to correct Seth's statement: a Sport Coupe is NOT a Cabriolet. The Sport Coupe is an imitation of one, the top does not fold, like a Cabriolet does. The "Rambling Wreck" is a Sport Coupe, the car Rich painted is a Cabriolet.
Now I see some of how you get so much detail in you paintings Rich!
And yes, many of the A group looks down their noses at us T folks--I am here to admit, I was a died-in-the-wool A guy, until Tom Sharpsteen had me drive a T around his orchard. That's all it took! Later Tom even let me drive his unrestored '14 (with MANY DB parts on it) in the Orland 4th of July Parade--he was busy driving his TT truck.
I used to also own an unrestored '31 Deluxe Coupe that was called the "Rambling Wreck" because we belonged to the Redding Rambling A's club. I remember taking it to a meet (Woodson Bridge, for those that remember that meet) and parking it with all the other restored As. Overheard two kids walking along the row of cars, and when they got to ours said,"WOW!! Lookit this OLD car! (the cars on both sides were older, but nice & shiny).
Ma Green, about 1978ma green
The Rambling Wreck, about 1980--I don't remember what the Stop sign joke was about!The Rambling Wreck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

Learn somethin' new every day. I didn't know there was a Sport Coupe AND a Cabriolet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

I know there are folks who get put off at this site just as some of us don't take to other sites. 99% of the Model A folks I know are great people but I did post a question and my painting of the "Girls" asking why aren't there more pictures of open cars with their windshields folded down on another site. The discussion drifted into "anybody would be crazy to drive with their windshield down" and ended with a variety of photos of guys dogs drinking out of toilets. I don't understand why. but I don't check out that site as often now.

I did know there was a difference in Sports Coupe, Business Coupe and Cabriolet but had never gotten acquainted with the differences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

Richard,
OK, more info than you wanted!
Business coupe , '28-'29 only (some may argue '29 only) sort of a stripped-down sport coupe, but with different rear bow brackets so an oval window could be fitted into the soft top on the sides. Also came with a trunk (ALL Sport Coupes came with a rumble seat) Sport Coupes, non-folding top, dummy Landau Irons (BTW, hard to find nowadays too!). The 30 sport coupe is actually a rarity, only 50,000 recorded built. The Cabriolet bodies were made by Briggs and Murray and have wood-framed bodies. late in '30 the Cabriolet came with a slanted windshield (and the '28-29 ones had a streamlined cowl and hood like the '30-'31 cars (as did the 4 door sedans. The standard '28-29 cowl gas tank just mounted under the cowl 'skin').
The fold-down windshield was a feature of the '30-'31 Deluxe Roadster, and many original Ford adds show it with the windshield folded down (can't fill the gas tank with it down, though!), just like your very cool painting of the V-8 does. ('32 model? I'm not as up on the V-8s)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Thanks David. I knew the '30 Tudor I had pretty well. I've seen factory picture of 30-31 Phaetons with the fold down windshield. I love that look for pictures. Yes, the second painting is a '32.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:15 am:

Ah,yes, I forgot that the Deluxe Phaetons also had that feature! Cool, thought with that front bumper and the larger diameter tires it might be a '32 -- If I recall correctly, that one year Ford used 18" tires, then in 33 17" and 34-35 16" the 36 wheel was a lot like the early VW wheel, mostly a rim with the bolt circle on the outside edge of the brake drum.
This is all by memory folks, so don't get out the hangin' rope if'n I'm wrong!
:-)
So you had a '30 Tudor, eh? another "closet" A guy!
Heh heh heh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 07:24 am:

I showed my wife Richard's painting last night. I said "Look at this painting". She said "That's a painting?" Then she remembered some of Richard's other paintings I had shown her and then she said "Oh, that's that guy, isn't it?" Good work Richard. I love them. Keep 'em coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:29 am:

That is nice to hear Hal. I am fortunate enough to have some nice, easy places to show them and only hope some can enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed the photos and conversations on the Forum.

Rich

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration