Old Photo - Hauling Parts At The Minneapolis Plant

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Hauling Parts At The Minneapolis Plant
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 09:58 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

Just have him drive that over to my place please. I'll share it with you really I will...honest!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

Dennis, he left shortly after the picture taken. He should almost be to your place by now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

It's interesting that there is a truck plate on the tractor meaning they were driving it on Minneapolis streets, not just on the plant grounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 02:41 pm:

From the width of those rims stacked in the nearest corner of the trailer, they look to be late TT rear rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 02:52 pm:

I think you're right Terry. I can see some fenders, but not well enough to identify. I wonder what other treasures are lurking in that load.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

Is that a UFO hovering near the corner of the building?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Yes it is a UFO. It is disguised as a light for the parking lot.:0]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

I love that building. It sits right across the street from Target Field, the Minnesota Twins ballpark. Every time I go to a game, I go up to the highest level of the stadium and have a gander at the Ford plant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Your all wrong, it ain't no stinkin' UFO, it a 1925 Drone!!!!!!!! A little know fact ole Henry was experimenting with Drones starting in 1920.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 07:36 am:

If it's a drone, Chevrolet must have sent it to spy on the Ford operation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:28 am:

If Chebby made drones in the twenties they probably haven't survived any better than the cars. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Eric,

Is this the correct angle?

Still a Ford building.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:09 am:

I answered my own question and....

This is the correct side and the Fordson was in the area on this side of the Ford Building. There are major rail lines on the left side of this photo today.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:10 am:

Ken,

Your photo proves the presence of the drone in the period photo. It's gone. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 11:02 am:

Honeywell owned the building for many years and light manufacturing was done there (thermostats and such).

From around 1970 to 2010 it was mixed used loft style office and studio space and it was rented out by many artists and other creative types.

As the demand for real estate in that part of town has gone up, especially since the completion of the new Twins Stadium and the addition of light rail and commuter heavy rail, starting in 2010, it went through a $40 million renovation and is now high-end loft style office space.

I have driven by the building many times over the years but I kick myself because I never saw the inside prior to the recent renovation because I understand that the interior was relatively unmolested.

My dad's '17 touring and my '17 roadster were most likely assembled there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schiebe - Plymouth, MN on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Our 1925 Model TT was most likely assembled at this plant as my grandfather purchased April 4, 1925 from Rettinger Ford in Long Lake MN. The dealership was just west of Minneapolis and my grandfather had farm in Plymouth. The new Ford plant in St. Paul was up and it was my understanding they started production in St. Paul May of 1925. As they moved production to the new plant the photo may show them transporting parts to the new plant since the tractor has license plate. The following is a picture of our family treasure.

Model TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Thanks Gary. Great looking TT Truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schiebe - Plymouth, MN on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

I forgot to add this timeline of Ford assembling/manufacturing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. Here is link from Minneapolis paper.

http://www.startribune.com/components/134952973.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Great looking Model TT! Proper meaning of term "Homemade" Ford.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:44 pm:

I was inside a couple of times about ten years ago. There was a offs shop in the basement and a few T parts on the wall as a display. I got to talking with one of the loft renters and he showed me around his studio. He made trade show displays. At any rate, the building was really cool. The line shafts were still in place in parts of his studio. I wish I had taken photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schiebe - Plymouth, MN on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

The box was made by my grandfather for hauling and selling vegetables. The sides drop down to lay flat so they could display baskets of vegetables. The truck was well protected as my grandfather Henry always kept in a shed. One picture we have was taken in summer 1941. Little did I know I would be the care taker for future generations as that is me the little boy standing on the fender with my dad next to me. The story goes they were taking it out for joy ride in the fields on a Sunday afternoon. In the previous picture above the hardware signs were added in the 70's as a promotion for my fathers hardware store.

Kid on Fender

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration