Model T's in Hawaii

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T's in Hawaii
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Andersen on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 10:31 am:

I just sold my 1916 depot hack to a fellow in Honolulu, HI. He needs to meet other T owners in the islands. How to contact or link-up with them? All Hawaii owners please shout out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:19 am:

When I was in the Navy back in the '60s, there was a '26 roadster parked in a gas station there, so there must be a few around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:24 am:

I saw one one the island of Maui. I don't think it runs though. The sign says it was imported from the Philipines. The owner drove it for many years on the island.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

I know there is a Model A in Hilo, as we ran into him at a gas station. Cars rust a lot in Hawaii--as does everything else!!
Hmm, Koa wood spokes--now THAT would be interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Quite a few model A's there but i had not seen many t's although the roads there would be just great for a T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson Absaroka County on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:40 am:

I would love to drive my coupe through the red dirt on Molokai. A lot more fun than the rental car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Livingston, Honolulu, Hawaii on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:34 am:

Our Director of Restoration at the Hawaiian Railway Society is a member of the local antique car club. I'll ask him for contact information. There are a few T's around as well as others but not many. If it weren't for this forum I'd be working in a complete vacuum on the TT Rail Bus project.

Jeff Livingston
Historian
Hawaiian Railway Society

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 06:50 am:

I lived in Hawaii on Oahu for 3 years while my dad was stationed there. I don't know if I'd want to have a T there or not. The car theft and vandalism is unreal. Maybe if you had one with lots of patina like Kirks . . . I just, if you had a restored car I'd be worried about it getting gone any time you didn't have your eyes on it. Kirk I'm not picking on you - I love the patina cars. You'd think that car theft would be kind of silly on an island but they'll steal a car and have it chopped and GONE in a scary fast amount of time.

Also, don't get me wrong, I made several life long friends that I'm still in contact with and see sometimes when we can. But, the general population of local folks on Oahu is the laziest, most entitled group of handout takers that I've ever seen. They want all of the benefits of being one of the states in the US, but want no military or government (except the parts that benefit them directly) presence on the islands.

If I ever won the lottery I might visit for the surf or to see friends but you'd about have to pay me to live there because of the people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Seth,
Big Island more betta! My folks were there for some 18 years, don't remember any criminal activity that effected them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:59 am:

Ho bra! So akamai. I visited the big island, way more space, way less people. =) I'm pretty sure any of the other islands are better for everything except surf. But I was never on any of the rest of them for more than a few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Seth's comment, "If I ever win the lottery I might visit" makes me think of the 8 or 10 weeks I spent attending a US Navy school on Ford Island in the fall of 1968. My gross monthly pay was somewhere around $98 per month. Even then this wasn't much. I saw Oahu on the economy plan. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 02:02 pm:

Henry- I lived on Ford Island for 6 months in 2007, right next to the air tower. I went back in 2013 and unfortunately that whole island is prime real estate and they are building homes all across the airfield. it was a great time though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

I was on Oahu living on the north shore in the mid 60's and mailed nearly a whole T back home thru the APO system. There were several A's around then and a nice 32 phaeton down the street from me and I drove a 39std cpe I bought there. Brought it back and still have it. Do not remember seeing any whole Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Seth,
Nah, I jes a Hoale, but one with respect for the native ways and beliefs. BI getting crowded, even Kona has Costco etc. Funny thing, when I was there, best deals on Aloha shirts was at K-Mart!!
Mahalo for the compliment though!
Aloha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Livingston, Honolulu, Hawaii on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Gentlemen,

I have yet to receive the contact information but expect to soon and I will post it.

I transferred here in 1990 and retired in 1994. Heard all the horror stories about the locals, crime,politics etc. All BS. Sure, Hawaii like all States, has its fair share of problems. Some are a bit different than the mainland. I can't think of any other State that had its government overthrown. Anyway, I've found Hawaii a great place to live although very expensive. Never have had a problem with the locals or anyone else. Treating people with dignity and respect works exceptionally well in any state or country. By the way, the housing on Ford Island is Navy housing. $98 a month? Must have been E-4, I was making a lot less then. Volunteered for subs to get the extra $50 a month hazardous duty pay.

Jeff Livingston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:17 pm:

Seems to me I heard there were some states whose governments were overthrown in 1865 or thereabouts.

(My old cars have been snowed in for over two months, and I have cabin fever. I thought it might be fun to stir the hornet's nest about something other than Kevlar bands or disc brakes.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Skip Anderson, Bloomington, MN. on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

I was stationed on a ship berthed on Ford Island in 1968. Plenty of old cars on Oahu back then. They were mostly Model A's located on the large pineapple and cane farms however. Never had a problem with the locals either, and still don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:52 pm:

Just got back from a couple weeks on Kauai. Took a trip to Hanalei and spotted a '41 International Woody parked out front of a business. That was the oldest car I saw. A few 50's era hot rods to boot in around Kapaa, but Jeep Wranglers appeared to be the car de jour for the small island. Great touring roads, but not many to pick from. I cannot imagine an 80 year old car lasting out in the bush. Even my 2014 rental was starting to rust. W

TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Livingston, Honolulu, Hawaii on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:41 am:

The local (Oahu) club's website is:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/alohaaaca/

For more information contact Glenn Houlton at glen@planeteldoraro.com

The salt and the sun take a toll on everything here, cars, trains, buildings, anything. 40's and 50's hot rods are more prevalent than T's, A's or any other make or model pre-1940.

Jeff Livingston

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 06:04 pm:

Some of the best times I ever had were on active duty in the Navy. I don't think I was ever sober for very long! Even then Honolulu was expensive.
I still have the tattoo I got there from Sailor Jerry on Hotel Street.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration