The price of T's has really gone up! Auction price anyhow!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The price of T's has really gone up! Auction price anyhow!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

I got April's edition of Hemming's today and man was I surprised. At the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale auction, a run of the mill, 1925 Touring car, #2-condition, with wood wheels and no extras I could see or were spelled out, sold for $14,300. And it had mis-matched, worn tires to boot.
The big surprise was that the average selling price for this vehicle was listed at $17,500! I guess big name auction houses view vehicles differently then I do. I guess I need to raise my agreed to insurance coverage price of my 25 touring up $8,000 more. I need to be paying more attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Sorry, I don't know how to copy the photo out of the Hemming book to post here! I was just posting as an amazed observer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 07:16 pm:

And Ken, how do you do those emoticon thingies??

Tom...I look at those high prices as a good thing! Hopefully it'll mean an upswing in values finally. I have a gorgeous '15,as close to Grade 1 as it gets, very correct, that according to Old Car Reports Guide should be worth $32K, have it listed for $29.9K but only have a couple of bites. Not as big a crowd looking for museum quality for one thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Hemming's is the place for inflated prices followed by 'well known" auctions. Not arguing mind you just saying. While you'll see them sell on occasion it's not the way to buy a T for a guy like me whose looking for a decent driver at a reasonable price. I have to look the car over, make a few checks (not usually allowed in auctions) and a drive if possible. An auction is almost like buying a car sight unseen because I can't do my thing and that's a no-go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

pic of that car would be a waste of time,just my opinion!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

Here's a link to the auction listing:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1925-FORD-MODEL-T-TOURING-18 0031

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 08:23 pm:

Here is the picture from that link, brighten up a bit.

It's no '25...the touring is a 1923. Low radiator, no radiator apron, low cowl.

Nice paint, that is what sells cars :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

nobody at the dmv knew what year it was, even the owner, and the auctioneers, and most likely the new owner doesnt know he bought a 23. nice kink in the fender the painter forgot too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Prices in Hemmings range from very reasonable to very crazy. Some people think Grandpa's flivver is junk, and some think it's a rare treasure, and some are deluded enough to think they can get back what they put into their car.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on March 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 03:26 am:

Anybody notice that the car has been touched up a bit with airbrush? That front inside shine is too hard a line to be real, no matter how much armorall you used on it. Also the outside rear wheel looks funny too. My guess is the picture was waaay over exposed and they tried to compensate with contrast, and then had to fix the compensation with airbrush, notice you see no details at all on the rear outside tire or the front inside tire, yet you can see them on the inside rear tire and front outside tire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 07:38 am:

I don't necessarily see an upswing in prices as a positive thing. I guess for the guy who has 10-12 T's and is looking at selling off some of them, it is a good thing. But for the guy who only has one or two and would like to have more, it is not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:21 am:

I agree with Hal. If you intend to live in your house until you croak, increasing "value" does nothing but raise your taxes. If you're shopping for a car, increasing prices are a negative. If you leave it for your estate sale, you won't care what it's worth.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration