Removing front wheel races

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Removing front wheel races
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 05:55 am:

Is there a trick to removing the races from the hubs? I can't get any pullers to grab on. We finally tig welded a piece of stock across the race to press it out. Seems to me there must be an easier way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 06:25 am:

There are notches in the front hubs on either end behind the races. You use a long punch and hammer and alternate back and forth from the backside of the race to push the race out. I think, depending on the year, earlier cars did not have these notches---but someone here should verify that for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 06:33 am:

And if the race is truly shot, welding on the race is actually a good method to remove it. Welding makes it hot and it wants to expand, but it's held by the hub and can't. Since it's hot it can reshape slightly and won't harm the hub when expanding. When cooling down, nothing stops the race from shrinking, so it'll be easy to remove when cold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 07:13 am:

Even on some of the ones with the notches, the notches are not deep enough to get behind the race with a punch. Welding a bead around the inside surface of the race will shrink it just like Roger said. They literally fall right out after cooling. Of course, it ruins the race, but I doubt many folks are trying to remove a good one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Punch tools work well. You have to make one with a bit of offset, and it will punch out the worn race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Saniewski Denville NJ on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:23 am:

Thanks for the info on the Stevenson tools, it may be worth making something with a bend that conforms. But for now I will just Tig the stock inside the outer race. The inner one I can get to because the lip is large enough to grab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:01 am:

The early hubs don't have those two notches, and if someone is foolish enough to put in a tapered race, watch out! In that case you will have to weld a plate across the race to drive it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

FWIW I'm not terribly savvy regarding races, but I've removed a few. The wheels that had races made for ball bearings were relatively easy, but 2 of my 21" demountables had races made for tapered roller bearings (or so I was informed).

The roller bearing races were a bear! Much perseverance and making an offset punch finally did it, but I can sympathize.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

I use the arc weld method every time and it works like a charm. I usually bead blast the races, prior to the process. Just run a half-inch bead on each side and they fall right out. Got the tip by reading the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steve johnson on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:10 am:

We have remove thousands of the races and we have made and do use tools illustrated to drive them out. The first step in rebuilding a wheel is to remove the races before truing the hub in a lathe. The easy way to do it is to stand it up in a vice insert an old screwdriver in the slot from the bottom holding it in one hand while inserting air hammer in from the top. Place the air hammer bit against the screw driver as close as possible to the race and drive each side out a little at a time. This method will remove a race in seconds. I hope some can use this.
Steve Johnson

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration