Old Photo -Model T Era Peerless Garage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo -Model T Era Peerless Garage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:58 am:

looks like working at the peerless shop was kinda like being a maytag repair man, not much going on there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Wonder if the swing away pipe and hose above the ladder is for water or Premier gas?

(Message edited by redmodelt on March 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:45 pm:

The Danforth Lady was found here.

As it appears today.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Nice photo Jay. Looks like you can just drive right in doesn't it?That is only blocks from where I grew up. It is a heavily congested area as the new photo shows and it's hard to imagine it looked like it did back then. In the 1910s however, that would have been the new frontier in Toronto and would have grown rapidly soon after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 04:08 pm:

One more thing, if you look at the old photo, you can see a square with a round spot on between the road and sidewalk. It looks like it was prepped for a future fire hydrant. In the new pic, you can see a very old hydrant. It appears the location is exact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

if that is the same building someone made a lot of changes to it????????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 04:36 pm:

Great photo Jay, wish I had a garage just like it.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Nice pic. Looks like a new building to me. Too many differences, second story, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

Gary,

I think you are right. Probably a new building. The article on the Danforth Lady murder said that the she was found when they were clearing the site for a new building.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Ken, you had me a tad confused. You mentioned the "Danforth Lady case". I had not heard of that one where a woman named Molly Burns went missing in the early '40s and was found in 1980 at the Peerless Garage site. I was confused because there was another woman named Dorothy Cox who went missing in 1943 and was found in 1995 under the showroom of Roberton Motors Chevrolet, also on Danforth Avenue (I was in that building once). That case I remember well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Dave,

It could be two stories. I just found the picture Jay posted shown in the following article:

https://krazykillers.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/the-toronto-danforth-lady/

Since you are from the area, you may be able to make the correct correlation. The article does mention an auto dealership I believe. I just took that to mean that a dealership was built "next" to the old garage site. I probably just misread it.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

Ken, both events happened on the same side of the same street around the same time but are unrelated. The one you posted was the Peerless Garage at 425 Danforth. The other was Robertson Motors quite a ways down at 1515 Danforth. Both buildings are now gone and replaced by newer buildings. I once bought some rare NOS parts at Robertson. It seems weird now to think there was a murdered woman lying beneath the floor where I was standing.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration