I am angry with the new pop-ups

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I am angry with the new pop-ups
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Today for the first time ever I attempted to read an interesting post and got advertising on the right side of my screen. It covers about one fourth of the message and will not go away. When I attempt to roll it away that function does not work. I did hit refresh and it did go away but when I attempted to scroll down to finish reading the post that silly advertisement came back again. It takes control of my keyboard and will not let me erase the advertising. I am not pleased with this new issue, anyone else have the same problem ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:27 am:

Not showing up for me, sounds like you need to run a malware scan.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Yep, Malware

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Download Malwarebytes for free, run it and that will likely fix your problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Do NOT download MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) from any other site but MBAM (link below). Click on the FREE version.

When the install starts uncheck the free trial box. The image below is old and it may have changed but DO NOT select the Trial Version of PRO unless you really want to. If you do, the PRO version will expire unless you buy it.

Link to MBAM: https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

Frank,

This same thing happened to me 2 or 3 months ago.

I opened an email in my spam box that I thought had been sent to me by someone who knew me. I was wrong. The ads were popping up on every site I went to, including this one.

I ran my anti-virus scan (Windows Housecall). I clicked re-start after that however, the problem remained. It was late, so I shut the confuser off and hit the sack.

The following day, I expected to have the same problem and was ready to call my computer genius buddy to get things straightened out. Gladly, the problem was gone. Apparently, I needed to shut the machine completely off to dump the malware.

Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

Malwarebytes is free download for a basic scan that finds most malware and deletes it. You will be surprised at how many bad files are on your computer once scanned.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Megadittos for Malwarebytes - far better and less intrusive than Glary Utilities (I've tried both).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

Frank,

That is your wife just trying to get your attention ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 03:22 pm:

Ken and Ed,

My computer was almost useless. I used the link you guys provided above, downloaded it and ran it. Made a HUGE difference!

Thank you!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

Henry,

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by 'almost useless'? Do you mean it was running slow, or what?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

You're welcome Henry. There are others that are even more powerful but shouldn't be used without experienced supervision. :-)

If you're still experiencing problems after MBAM, some deeper scans may be in order. I would suggest you make sure your AV is up to date as well as Windows and that the AV definitions are current then run a full scan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

No pop ups here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

Hal,

It would run very fast on its own, you could hear the chip cooling fan going fast and the little dial indicating level of activity would peg out even though no one was using it. Software would often fail to open and when it did it ran slow. Often just trying to open a program would result in a total lock-up, the only remedy being shutting it down with the button and hoping it would re-boot when restarted. It's old and needs to be replaced, but the malware program helped it a bunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

Thanks Henry. I think I need to try that on the laptop at home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Frank,

If you would stop taking that little blue pill you wouldn't need to worry about pop ups! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 05:42 pm:

OOOOTTTTT. I know this is off the subject ! I have been running XP and Windows 7. Well "smart me I saw in my Icon Window an Icon I thought was wrong, well you know what happened-----DELETE-- now I do not have a speaker function, so what do I do had how can I solve the problem except calling a mobile repair person and I have to say I am not the sharpest knife in the box so it has to be simple. Any HELP will be a BIG thank you if it works. Right now I am using FIREFOX, and when I turn my computer on it loads to Yahoo in stead of AOL? which I like best.
Bill d

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

Bill, you might try a system restore. As I recall, it's fairly easy to locate and perform in XP, not sure about 7. Been a while since I had those programs. You should be able to locate it in "control panel", you'll have to look around a bit for it, but it's in there. Ask a high school kid!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Bill, I am not sure what you did but you can try system restore.

Hit the start button, type in system restore in the search area, it should be the at the top of the list, open it.
It will search for restore points; highlight the one that's dated before you lost sound. You will not lose files but it will return your pc to previous settings, it may restore your sound.

I am not familiar with Firefox but in explorer and chrome you have to go to settings and choose your homepage. It may have changed when you downloaded a file. You have to read everything when you download a program making sure to uncheck anything that will change your setting. Like when it asks if you want to make Yahoo your homepage. Thatís how they sneak stuff onto to your pc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

How about another OT How come some time about 50% of the sites, this one included, it opens two of the sites at once, when I only click twice?

I have run Malwarebytes, AVG, Spybot, CCleaner. Both in safe mode, and normal boot. It also stops, and goes when loading any page, any where.

Dell with XP home. I have installed two more memory sticks, each is 512 a year ago, because it was slooow.

Pat

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration