Pikes Peak Brake Pedal, does anyone know anything about them. ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pikes Peak Brake Pedal, does anyone know anything about them. ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:37 am:

I guess Im going to be the "proud new owner" of a Pikes Peak brake pedal. It is the one Ill show in the photo. I had thought that the pedals were part of a "braking system" like AC, Rocky Mountain, Bennett, ect. But the owner of the pedal I just bought, had heard that they were a "prize" in a Pikes Peak event held possibly in the 70s 80s era. ??? He had been told that if you "completed" the "climb" that you got a pedal ... It really does not matter one way or the other to me personally, but I would like to know the history of the pedal to give "correct info" when Im asked questions about the pedal .. So does anyone know anything about them ... I plan on using the pedal on my speedster project. I have been up Pikes Peak three times, (never in a T) but who knows, I still may make it in a T yet. :-) :-) So the pedal will be a reminder to keep trying.

pedal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:50 am:

First I've ever heard that B.S. story - those pedals were an actual component of a set of "bolt-on accessory" external brakes as were Rocky Mountain, Bennett, Cleveland, Sure-Stop, A.C. and others.

I'll attempt to locate an "era" advertisement in library of Ford Owner magazines & Western Auto catalogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 11:06 am:

Steve, That is what I always thought. His story was not a selling point, it was just what he had been told. Could be that the story is "partly true" if they gave a pedal to the winner and it was an original pedal ... Just guessing. I would like to see an ad if you find one. I have not found any yet in my researching ... thanks for the input

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Never heard about the "prize" I grew up in the Denver area, was a member of the Mile High Chapter of MTFCA. Could have been a possibility

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

They were a brand of accessory brakes.

In this older post is a link to a picture of the rear brake casting, it too has the cast in "Pikes Peak Brake".

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/400223.html?1384119205

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

I agree that they are a manufactured braking system. The link with the picture pretty much proves that. The photo in the link will not let me save it .. so I can not post it here. Im just glad to finally find one for the speedster project. Thanks for the input everyone ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

About a year ago (maybe two?), I was talking to Larry Sidmore (manufacturer of AC small-drum brakes) at a swap meet. I can't remember everything he said about it, but he said something about the Pike's Peak pedal having been reproduced back in the '70s (and who had made them). I believe he said something about the whereabouts of the mold to manufacture them, and that he was considering getting the mold and making them as well as the pedal for the AC brakes. I do not know if he has done so or not.
I am also fairly certain that these pedals were made way back when. The first one of them I ever saw was at a swap meet over forty years ago. It was worn, bent, rusty, and on an engine that looked like it had been pulled out of decades in the weeds.
Good deal Donnie, and congratulations. It should be a great addition to your speedster!
Drive carefully,and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 06:56 pm:

The picture

Pikes Peak?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Thanks John, I do not know why I could not save the picture. That happens to me,every once in awhile, for no reason I can figure out .?? I have a complete/restored set of small drum AC brakes that I plan on using with the pedal. My AC brakes have a bracket/clip that clamps around the stock Ford pedal and then goes to the AC cable system. It appears the Pikes Peak pedal will work in the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Donnie,

I also tried to capture this photo unsuccessfully. I'm not sure but I think it failed because I'm using an iPad not a computer. Maybe that's your problem too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

I received my Pikes Peak brake pedal today. Im pleased with it and it will work very well for my speedster. But it opens up another question. I believe my pedal may be one of the repro ones made in aprox. 1970s, as Wayne states above. But it is made in a strange way. Mine is made of a thin pad with the Pikes Peak letters on it, welded to what appears to be a modified stock pedal. The pad is steel and not brass. You can see the seam where it is brazed on. I wonder if that is how all the repros were done. It opens up another possibility. I think it would be very easy to have the pads cast for resale, if there was enough interest in them. They could be made as "pads" like mine, or made like the lettered repros are made. The lettered ones are the entire end of the brake pedal with about 1 inch of the stem and the weld is made on the stem. "Just thinking out loud"

pedal 1

pedal 2

pedal 3

pedal 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

I would think that would be a way better way to reuse and save old pedals. The weld on cast heads letter or ribbed they sell are problematic at best in my OP. Maybe a thin head with ribs or letters to weld or braze to yours. Maybe could do Bennett(sp) or AC's too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:47 am:

Interesting. I agree that looks like a brazed-on pad added on top of a standard later pedal. I have always thought something like that would be a better way of providing "C", "B", and "R" replacements for brass era Ts than the weld-on whole pedal as they are done now.
I frankly don't know that much about the various versions of the Pikes Peak pedal made over the years. Like I said, I've seen one that I was sure was an original. I've seen a few that may have been originals, but I did not look that closely at them. I have seen a couple that I think were newer cast copies, but again, I did not look that closely at them.

I got interrupted after writing most of this. I see that Mark G made some comments that I agree with.
Also, again, Larry Sidmore does make the AC brake pedal similar to Donnie's Pikes Peak pedal.
I have an original AC Brakes pedal on my boat-tail.

Just for comparison's sake. It is worn and doesn't show really well in the photo.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration