1923 Ca License plates with a Star symbol in the middle - Significance?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1923 Ca License plates with a Star symbol in the middle - Significance?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Webb on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

I recently obtained a pair of 1923 CA license plates with a "star" symbol in the middle. I have never seen these before and was hoping someone would know the significance. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Perhaps this can help:

https://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/app1e_CA_License_Plate_Data_1209.pdf

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Webb on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Thanks Mark,
I had found this site before but could not see where it explained a "star" in 1923. The only mention was for 1919 where the star was on all the plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

I didn't see anything on that doc that shed light on the mystery either. I have 1923 Cal plates on my car and have no stars. I hope someone can enlighten us.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David J. Holland Ohio on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

In Ohio star plates were used in 1927. As the combination of two sets of three numbers neared 1,000,000 they added a star in front and started the numbers over. They solved the situation by adding letters to the number series. Variations were tried from 1927 to 1931. Letter placement and size produced some interesting plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Suttle on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

As I understand it the 1923 California plate with the star indicates 1,000,000.
So if you have 26*713 as I do, that is actually
1,026,713. There is only room on the plate for
6 numbers, so at 999-999, the sequence would continue with *1. Whether there were over 2,000,000 passenger plates issued that year I do not know or if so, how that was handled.
This information came to me from a long-time ALPCA member.
The porcelain NM plates in 1923 had a 6-pointed star as the year tab. Many folks here assume that it's some sort of sheriff's or police badge. It is not. This is the same usage as the 5-pointed star on the 1919 Calif. plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

Or maybe the car once belonged to Mary Pickford. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Cabin fever setting in for you too, Steve?

Just the same, Good One !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 12:06 am:

Randy: I got your message but don't know any more than these folks about 1923 California plates :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 03:05 am:

I'll be repainting my plates soo and discovered that the shade of blue on 1926 is a slate blue.
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Suttle on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:14 am:

Nah, Mary Pickford had a '28 Model A sports coupe that her husband, Douglas Fairbanks, gave her for Christmas 1927. Edsel Ford arranged delivery of the car.
It's currently in a collection in Reno.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Paul: I have a set of 1919 Cal Plates and on the left there is a star. That is the year 1919, but your 1923 does not have a sticker of tab. None was issued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Webb on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Sorry but I haven't been on the post for a few days. Thanks for the info. The number on mine is 125*606 so I guess that would be the 1,125,606 plate for that year. Pretty cool!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration