Brass Lug Nuts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brass Lug Nuts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Okay! You got me, they're not actually brass. But they look great don't they?!?

Some folks don't mind mixing chrome/nickel colors with brass on a car, they just like the shiny. I personally think you should pick, either a chrome theme or a brass theme, I don't like having both at once. I'm changing my speedster over to wire wheels and the lug nuts I got with the hubs were a mess, beat to death, so I ordered new ones. Was not thrilled about having nice new brass hub caps beside chrome lug nuts.

The problem is brass plating isn't anywhere near durable enough to live on a lug nut. They'd be ruined the first time I used them. While pondering this problem my eyes happened to land on some drill bits that were gold . . . "Hey what are these babies coated with?" I discovered TiN coating, that's titanium nickel coating.

Surface Solutions Inc out of Minnesota ended up being my choice for having my lug nuts coated. The TiN coating is absurdly durable, looks like brass, and was only $5 per lug nut. My POC was Mike and he was awesome. I shipped my lug nuts out on a Tuesday, and they had the nuts coated and ready to be shipped back to me Thursday!! I had no idea it would go so fast. I didn't even check email until Friday afternoon to see invoice. They could have had them shipped out Thursday if I had realized. Ultra quick service and I'm VERY pleased with the finished product.

I know this probably won't be helpful to anyone but the speedster crowd, but still like to say good things about a company when I get great service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

They look great! Don't you mean Titanium Nitride coating?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

Yes Mark! Lol I think I got nickel on the brain when I was talking about the original lug nut finish. Titanium Nitride. Duh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Good idea, Seth. I posted your idea on the HCCA Forum. I have a 1905 Maxwell that originally has a brass-plated iron gear-shift lever, and TiN might look good on that part. It looks like there is a size limit on the parts to be coated, however. Does it ever need polishing?

Phil

(Message edited by veloman on March 05, 2015)

(Message edited by veloman on March 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

Yes, I don't think they are set up to do anything really big. The TiN coating is more geared to high wear tools like drill bits, medical equipment, that sort of thing.

Mike did say that they could polish the lug nuts before and after the coating if I wanted to get a more mirror finish. I have no idea about having to polish it. Based on the way these drill bits have done that it doesn't tarnish or rust. I will let you know now that I've had my greasy fingers on them what they do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

Just so yall can see how these turned out, the color is perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:19 am:

I've been googling a lot and reading up and looking at pictures and from what I can tell the Titanium Nitride coating will be as glossy and mirror-like as the surface it is coating. So, if you have a part that you really want to look brass - it needs to be smoothed an shined up really well before it gets coated. The other thing I discovered that it is used for it coating firearms parts.

I will say that I prefer my guns like I prefer my 1919 Model T's - all black. But this picture gives you an idea of the potential that TiN coating has with a well polished surface.

The guy who owns that gun says that he's pretty rough with it and jambs it in and out of a holster all the time, no scratches. The only place he has any wear on the coating is where the barrel rubs the slide inside. The slide on the pistol is polished stainless steel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Kramer, Woodstock, Ontario on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

What a fantastic idea Seth. Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for an option for the lug nuts for my speedster. There's no way I could ever put chrome lug nuts on a brass car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration