Jay Leno Hates Ethanol

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Jay Leno Hates Ethanol
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:47 pm:

Check out this new article written by Jay Leno in Autoweek. Although he points out a lot of things we all know and have discussed here before about the side effects of ethanol, he really emphasizes the risk of fire caused by gasoline leaking from deteriorated rubber fuel components onto hot engine parts. Not something that I really thought about before.

Do you think the risk of fire is overstated, or no?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/jay-leno-hates-ethanol?utm_source=DailyDriv e20150305&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_c ampaign=awdailydrive

(Message edited by Dan B on March 05, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

that motor he is working on is a v12 tank engine he has in a 32 ford roadster. i bought 2 semi loads of them for scrap price once, thought i was gonna get rich, but nobody at the time wanted them. back to the scrap yard they went. i wonder , will they ever quit with the corn gas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

I only go to the gas station near me that doesn't have ethanol. It makes a difference in how my truck runs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

I wouldn't be concerned about it on a T with stock fuel system, as there's no rubber to deteriorate, but yeah, I'd be concerned about it on something with rubber fuel lines. There are rubber lines available that are ethanol proof. If you have a car with rubber fuel lines, it might be a good idea to swap them out for some known ethanol proof lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

I always like to talk ...

Once along I-95 toll road in New Jersey I noticed the ethanol pump was separate from the other unleaded fuel grade pumps.

The attendant told me the ethanol was so corrosive it required stainless & other corrosion resistant materials to store & dispense it.

He said still with those measures - they had a lot more maintenance on the ethanol pumps which cost much more than the other unleaded equipment.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

we dont have a choice in minnesota, and now the biodiesel is gonna kill all my diesel stuff too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, March 05, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

The only thing good about ethanol is that it eliminated MTBE. MTBE has contaminated ground water. One part per million in your ground water and you can taste it. There is no way to remove it from an aquifer. Once its there, its there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

I keep all my MTBE in asbestos lined uranium pouches for safe keeping.

Makes a delicious dessert topping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

Model T's don't seem (at least so far) to be affected too much by E10. It has been a real nightmare in my other collector cars with zinc Holley carburetors and aluminum fuel pumps though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Oh for the good ole days of Lead Free Ammaco (?)
gasoline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Tune in to Bloomberg tv today. Many of the Repub hopefuls will be at an Iowa Ag fest today. Watch them dance around ethanol.

Ethanol was foisted on us in about 2004 because the war killed Iraq oil output.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

Ricks

Your constant political bashing of anyone non Democrat is tiring. Let's at least be honest and admit it was hoisted on us by the states that are big corn producers. It mattered not which party the politicians belonged to, if they were a corn state they jumped on it both Dems and Repubs.

Let's also not forget the pressure put on us to be "green" by going ethanol. If you weren't for it you hated the environment. At least that was Al Gores stand on ethanol before he was against it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Hillary was invited, but she declined. She would do the dance, too.

Gary, I've always been against ethanol. It makes no economic sense; something like 100 gallons yield per acre per YEAR. Big ag like Monsanto is the big beneficiary. The farm bill subsidies are too big for either party to fight.

If cheap Iraqi oil had continued to flow, there wouldn't have been any ethanol, and the Bakken would still be untapped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Your last sentence isn't factually accurate. The ethanol lobby is big and have been around since the end of the 70's. It didn't take off however until big brother was on board. Anything that can be tied to "security" gets a pass without close examination. Iraq did not produce that much oil and we weren't buying from them at the time anyway. They were less than 5% it seems from memory. Granted, 5% is enough to raise prices but supply and demand is a self leveling deal.

You and I agree that it was and is a bad idea like shooting yourself in the foot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

I like it as it keeps farmers working and right wingers bitching!!!!!!!!!!!!!Heating with CORN Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Good for you Bud! RD and I are politically opposite but if you'll notice he is against ethanol as well. BTW, my mother had 250 acres corn this year. The problem with the govt propping someone up is they will always be beholden to them.

It is a bad move for the environment so many of the left are against it as well.

I'm guessing you like public housing projects for some of the same reason? Just saying........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Iraq had #2 proven oil reserves, and it's cheap to extract. While we had the embargo prior to the war, they were hauling 1,000 truckloads a day north through Kurdistan.

When the English woman carved out Iraq in 1923, she made sure the minority Sunni were in control of the majority Shia, as the Shia were crazier. The war undid that and now Shia Iran is helping Shia Iraqis take back from (Sunni) ISIS.

The poor Kurds are no doubt the most rational Muslims, and Kurdistan is divided between Iran, Iraq, Syria and Turkey. It would be good to liberate them, but relations with Turkey are in the way. We won't even give them arms to fight ISIS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

We hit a thaw at 38 today and the Wind Farm is really working! Bud in central Mi who cares less about Leno!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Kevin Holland hates Ethanol too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Thompson on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

In response to some of the comments on ethanol, I would like to present these facts. One bushel of corn produces 2.8 gallons of ethanol. It also leaves 19 pounds of by-product, commonly referred to as DDG. This is a mid-level protein feed used in the cattle feeding industry. In other words, we get ethanol and still have a feedstuff left. Is this not increasing efficiency? The big chemical companies are not making any more money on ethanol than if we were feeding the whole bushel of corn without taking the fuel out of it. If this is so dangerous, how has NasCar been able to race 6 million miles on ethanol? I haven't seen any "exploding fireballs". Many times people are against ethanol because they don't understand all the aspects of it, and try to immediately turn it into a political football. We need to get more self reliant as a country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

This isn't politics.

It is a ruined carburetor with aggressive white corrosion covering the insides, clogging everything.

Regardless of what ever they do with the byproducts, E-10 causes great harm to the collector car hobby, to fishermen, to people who own lawn mowers, and on and on.

E-10 is bad gas.

(Message edited by adminchris on March 09, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

Here's what E-10 did to the fuel pump. This is a three year old pump that costs $100. All the steel parts are rusted red, and the aluminum is growing black corrosion all over the inside of the pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

I am "E-10" stupid but I am an old car lover. Guess I need to do a little reading about it.

I have 5 acres and a great deal of gasoline powered equipment. Anyone know if mixed gas prevents the corrosion Royce is showing us? I would think it would help prevent it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Anderson on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

It takes more then one gallon of petroleum to produce one gallon of ethanol. That's why the oil companies didn't raise a stink when they lost 10% of their sales at the pump. And thats why you never see these ethanol plants running on ethanol. Its the ethanol lobby that railroaded this scam on the ignorant public and is forcing us to buy their product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Thompson on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

On our ranch, we have approximately 25 carbureted engines. I am counting farm trucks,pickups,lawnmowers, fertilizer transfer pumps, portable welders and portable air compressors. We do all our own mechanic work, and have used E-10 for approximately 12 years. Many of these engines don't get the gas drained during lack of use in the winter. We have never encountered anything like your pictures. We do use "Seafoam" mixed in the gas. I know of no problems like that here in Colorado, as we cannot get regular delivered to our farm tanks that is not E-10. As to the one gallon of petroleum per one gallon of ethanol, where is petroleum used in the process? All of the plants here use natural gas. The end product is "denatured" by adding a small amount of gasoline to the ethanol. If this process is not done, then the transportation companies are legally hauling "moonshine". Let me tell you, if ethanol was causing problems like your pictures, I would be the first to complain, but we have not seen these problems here on our ranch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Here is some (I believe) non-biased info on corn ethanol and its energy balance (cost in energy to produce). Pretty confusing. I doubt many drivers would use it if given a choice.

http://alternativeenergy.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001261

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

Ethanol hates Jay Leno.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:05 pm:

As for the link above, I didn't even bother reading it. If they can't spell I doubt they can give the correct facts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:24 am:

If you look hard and long enough you can find a web site that supports your point of view.
If you can't you can fabricate your own truth, make a web sit, and find someone that agrees with you.

As for republicans dancing around ethanol -
It is better than Hillary dancing around the May Pole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 01:05 am:

Please give us another bush and the recession and war that goes with a bush!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:36 am:

All I know is ethanol is nothing but trouble for myself and my friends and neighbors as I am always cleaning carburetors for stuff.
Drink and eat corn, burn gasoline. Duh, It aint rocket science.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:59 am:

It's really odd that some people never have actual trouble with ethanol mixed fuel (I haven't) while others have all sorts of trouble?

Could it be a climate related problem linked to temperatures and humidity? So maybe ethanol mixed fuel works ok in some climates or some applications but not so much in others?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

I have nearly burned up 2 classic cars due to ethanol softening the rubber fuel lines. One was my Chevelle, the other a '57 Bel Air that belongs to a neighbor and I was bringing it into my shop to fix his brakes. Both cars suddenly started dumping fuel all over the engine, but luckily both times they were not warmed up yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Roger

I too have wondered to what degree the ambient humidity is a factor in whether or not the ethanol triggers corrosion and clogging issues. Humidity may well be an important factor since ethanol attracts water.

I live in a humid climate and ethanol, which is the only fuel available where I live, raises havoc with my gasoline powered cars, trucks, and lawn equipment.

What is the ambient humidity in the location where you are not plagued with ethanol issues?

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

In eastern North Carolina we get some pretty intense humidity. The worst I've ever experienced was in New Orleans - walking outside was like swimming. But in NC, I don't have any problems with the ethanol fuel. I think my truck runs a little better with straight gas (might be my imagination but I think I get 30ish more miles out of a tank before the light comes on), but my T can't tell the difference. I would think it's every bit as humid here as it is in Charlotte, or even Texas?

Is there different kinds or levels of ethanol? I don't claim to know anything about it. I do know it ate all of the varnish out of my gas tank that hadn't been run for years - made quite the mess. But once I got that cleaned up it was fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

I would guess all gas is not the same? The last gas trouble i have had was in about 1986-8 when we came back from FLA in winter and headed for Marquette,Mi!! That good southern blend took 7 cans of dry gas before it would burn!! I have used a lot of gas since then with no trouble?? I think what we git here is 10% and i have not used e-40. Bud in central Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 04:24 pm:

I don't know if this is helpful of not - for "classic cars". Published in 1952, Ford Speed Manual, by Fred Fisher, there is a discussion on the use of alcohol as fuel. There is a suggestion of after running the vehicle using compressed air to blow out the carburetor. Then coating the inside of the carburetor with light oil or kerosene to eliminate the power gray coating that forms after alcohol is used.

In 1980 a publication How to make your own Alcohol Fuels by Larry Carley discusses changing fuel lines to neoprene, replacing floats with brass or alcohol resistant material.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration