OT 1929 Ford Tri Motor visits Long Beach, CA.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT 1929 Ford Tri Motor visits Long Beach, CA.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:37 am:

A 1929 Ford Tri Motor airplane has landed in Long Beach! Today, Thursday, was VIP and Press day, and the Long Beach Model T Club, the Orange County Model T Club, and the "Un Club" provided 12 era cars for the event. There were 7 model T's, 2 Model A's a '29 Whippet, a '30 Franklin, and a '36 Plymouth taxi cab displayed on the ramp with the Tri Motor and a bi-plane. After the photos were taken several drivers took to the air 1929 style.

The Tri Motor will be giving public flights Friday, Saturday, and Sunday March 6, 7, 8. Go to www.flytheford.org or call 1-877-952-5395 for info and tickets. Flights are $70.00 advance or $75.00 walk up. The weather in Long Beach was beautiful today and will be beautiful all weekend. Come and fly the Ford!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:55 am:

Fantastic plane. We used to have one "residing" near here in Port Clinton Ohio and it used to run regular daily flights back and forth to the Lake Erie Islands. Always loved watching that thing fly over us when we were out in that neck of the woods in our sailboat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:00 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:02 am:

I got to sit in one once. I think it belonged to Bill Harrah, but yesterday I rode in the one pictured above. Pretty neat experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:43 am:

I rode in the one pictured above last year when it was in Northern Indiana. A good friend of mine who is a pilot in the Michigan Civil Air Patrol paid an extra $25 to be the co-pilot and took over the controls about halfway through our flight. Should have seen the smile on is face.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Bill Bakers Grandson June 2011

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:58 am:

If only I lived a few miles closer!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:50 am:

I rode in one at the EAA in Oshkosh a couple of years ago. It's a wonderful experience.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:40 pm:

I believe that plane will be in Paso Robles Calif around the 16th or so of April

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

A group of us Aussie's had the ( Fly The Ford ) experience in June 2013 at Yankton South Dakota. Something I will never forget. Thanks to my good mate Doug Partington for having the foresight to work it into our trip to Nebraska.

Best regards, John Page , Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

The Ford Tri-motor that Bill Harrah owned was one of Ruckstell's three. It's now in an air museum in Oregon sitting under the wing of Howard Hughes Spruce Goose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

I have a small Autobiography of a man named George Wells Bucklin who went to grade school with Bill Stout as he called him. One day Bill was fussing with some wires and rubber bands and when the teacher asked him what he was doing, he replied, " I am inventing something." " Well," said the teacher, "if you are going to be an inventor, you need to know arithmetic, so put your invention away and pay attention." Being an ex-aviation type person, I have always considered the tri-motor a beautiful aircraft.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

Wonder when they're coming to Florida. I had a tri-motor ride in about 1990 so I'm way over due.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason, Whittier, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Jeff, thanks for the heads-up on this event. I can't get the silly stupid grin off my face.

.Above Long Beach 3 6 15

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

In 1976 I flew my two kids to California (from NJ) and back in a Cessna 182. The trip took 3-1/2 weeks, and we had a vast variety of experiences. We landed at Put-In_Bay, in Lake Erie, so we could take a ride in the Ford Tri-Motor that Island Airlines was still using. Going to Sandusky, I rode in the co-pilot's seat and got to fly it for a bit. On the way back to Put-In-Bay, my 12-year-old son "flew" co-pilot and I rode in back.

Going to the mainland, we'd been almost empty. Going back to the island, we had a full load of passengers who had just transferred from some airline's 727. So, before takeoff, the plane had to be retrimmed for the bigger load in the after part of the fuselage. Trimming was accomplished by changing the angle of the horizontal stabilizer, which was done via a huge crank at the back of the cockpit. The pilot, who can't have been more than 25, faced the passengers while he turned this crank. And turned it. And turned it. And turned - - - . It got kinda quiet in the passenger cabin while people watched this operation. Remember, these weren't antique airplane nuts; these were people who'd been transferred from a modern jet to this relic and had no idea what was happening. I piped up in a loud voice: "Ladies and gentlemen, we'll be taking off for Put-In-Bay as soon as the captain gets the rubber band wound."

Nobody ever said I was nice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

Brian, I know what you mean about the GRIN. I got up early this morning and drove almost 200 miles to Long Beach. Paid the 75 dollars for the ride and the extra 50 to sit in the co-pilot seat.
What a thrill to fly in the old bird. We went out over the harbor and the Queen Mary. Got to wear the headset and talk to the pilot. I asked if I could hold the yoke for a minute and he released his hands and said have a good time.
I did take an old camera so lets see if I can get some help to download the drivers and post some pictures.
Worth every penny, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:30 am:

Wish I had been up to going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Those are very cool pictures. That would be one of those ride of a life time trips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

It will be at Lincoln Airport in Northern ca. June 4-7. You can see their full schedule and pre-book a flight on the eaa.org website, click on events. Mark, they will be a short drive away in the Paso Robles-San Luis Obispo area April 17-20,. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

Gilbert;
Love that line! LOLX2 :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

The one about the rubber band or the one about nice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:29 am:

I drove my '25 pickup to the event. It took me 1/2 hour to get there from Lomita. I got a link of the entire flight yesterday in an email, but have no idea how to get it on the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Larry, just highlight the email link by running over it with your cursor, then right click on the highlighted link and select "copy".

Then come back to the forum, go to the "add a message" box, right click, and select "paste". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Post the video on YouTube then post the YouTube URL link to this forum posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:59 am:

Winding the rubber band. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

A tri-motor flight should be on everyone's Bucket List

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Jesteadt on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 10:54 am:

There are several of these restored vintage Ford planes across the country. They come from a museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Back in February there was one near me, in SE Florida. When it came to my local county airport I jumped into my 1914 Touring with my brother and sister-in-law. A local newspaper report was there to do an article for the Palm Beach Post. They invited me to bring the car out onto the runway for pictures. They ended up featuring them in the local section of the paper. Here is a link http://www.palmbeachpost.com/gallery/news/local/photos-vintage-1928-ford-tri-mot or-north-palm-beac/gCQ3J/. They treated us well and gave us a terrific discount for the 15-minute flight. Quite an experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir Atascadero on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

Back in the mid '30s a Tri-Motor landed at a now vanished airport on the Union Oil Co's property in San Luis Obispo, Ca. Dad parted with enough money for the three of us to go for a 20 minute flight.

A couple of years later Mom had earned her Private License. Spent a lot of time at the airport Saturdays and Sundays. Just before the war, a local bought a 4 place Waco Biplane. It was the first time I ever smelled the 'New Car Smell'

Sincerely

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

After the 2003 Dearborn Centennial, I flew co-pilot and got to take the stick on cross-wind and downwind legs of the circuit. What an experience!

At that time EAA were advertising a week long course at Oshkosh to learn about the Trimotor ending with half hour at the controls. I always promised myself I'd do it one day, but I don't see it mentioned anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

It must've been about 1998 or 1999. I rode my motorcycle to see the EAA airshow in Oshkosh, WI. They kept that Trimotor busy all week long selling rides. I couldn't afford the fare, but I did it anyway. I figured I'd never get the chance again. It was great to hear those three radials humming in synchronicity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason, Whittier, CA on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

If you see this sign at an airport near you...

sign

Here's Gilbert's crank for "winding the rubber band".

trim

I can't think of a better way to see the LA Harbor. In what other airliner can the pilot fly it with his elbow hanging out the cockpit window??

harbor

Best Regards. BE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

How 'bout flying over the harbor and downtown LA in the Goodyear blimp? I got a last minute call from my friend Tommy, who had extra seats, so younger son and I jumped in the car and sped to the blimp in Carson. I called Humble Howard, who made it too. The other guy I called was Frank Harris, but he was at the harbor when his airship came in.

\popjpeg{525312,}

We flew over the St. Patrick's day parade at a leisurely 32mph, windows open. It was a lot better birthday 12 years ago than I will have Tues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

There will be a trimotor coming to the Lincoln, Ca. airport in June. Probably the same one. Our club is taking some T's there to check it out and maybe some photo ops. I have flown in them a couple times. They are airborne model T's. Slow, noisy, leaky, and it does not seem entirely clear you will get to the destination without incident. But you do, and have a great ride getting there. I'll be on board again.
Erik

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration