Carburetor that I cant find info on

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Carburetor that I cant find info on
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:49 am:

hello all, I have two carbs I cant find anything about them. If you have any information...miller 1909miller ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Those are cool! Like futuristic space carburetors. Sorry I don't know anything about them.

Are you sure those aren't phase rectifiers for a turbo encabulator?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:05 am:

the first one has a patent pending 1909. I did find an add for the second one.miller 19?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:04 am:

See page 21 of THE MILLER DYNASTY by Mark Dees
A great book!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:43 am:

I am not a model T guy. Just trying to help someone. So take them to the scrap yard?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

NO!!!!! Im not familiar with them, but they sure are neat. Even if they aren't special they will make someone good wall art (hint hint)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Mark;
Give it a little time. There are a number of people that might have some more information but not everyone is at their computer all the time.These might pre date Miller racing stuff so you might try asking at;

http://www.hcca.org/index.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:59 pm:

Year 1912. Reference New-Miller Manufacturing, Indianapolis, Ind.
Miller Carburetors and how they are made.
See Horseless Age p 822 + , Vol 30, No 22.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=UzMfAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA822&dq=carburetor+miller+m anufacturing&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fPb5VNbiDse0yASZ_4DYBQ&ved=0CE0Q6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=ca rburetor%20miller%20manufacturing&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Mark,

Those are valuable carburetors, used on early race cars. I am guessing they are worth no less than $400 each. If you want to get top dollar put them on eBay.

Harry Miller is perhaps the most famous American race car designer of the 1910 - 1940 era. His cars dominated international racing during that time, and his carburetors were and are highly coveted.

Reed more here:
http://milleroffy.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

"So take them to the scrap yard?"

I have to bite my tongue.

Maybe not on the level of the Mona Lisa? However, irreplaceable and to some extent priceless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 09:12 am:

Form the text of the period, 1912-1913, the carburetor it was a replacement item. Not all Miller products were race car related. Miller and his associates were manufactures and innovators the carburetor business paid the bills. You can do with the carburetor as you wish - trash it or make cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:25 am:

He wants to sell them. He has been offered $1,600 for the pair. We just have no idea what they are worth. This is a friend of mine and I just want to get him top dollar. Does anyone have a value? The one is a prototype and I feel is a museum piece. But I know nothing.
Thanks All. I would never scrap them I was just trying to get a response. Thanks again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:39 am:

$1600 for the pair is a fair price. If they were mine I would take that deal. They are super rare, but so is the engine they would have originally been used on. Some people collect them just to display in their glass case. Miller's work was extraordinary.

Here is one of Harry Miller's designs - this is a replica built to the exacting standards of the long lost original:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Take the 1600 and run

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

I do believe there is too much excitement here over the name Miller and wishful association with racing. I still believe that the carburetor presented is a design that was manufactured as a replacement for early automobile engines. This also would be found in the information from automobile journals - pre-1920- mentioning the Miller carburetor. Attached is a patent for the carburetor. The patent discussed adjust-ability from the driver's seat and better fuel distribution. Nothing about racing.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US96 2649.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

George, I do believe you have never handled anything made by Harry Miller or you wouldn't be so quick to discount the value of these. He was a perfectionist and everything I've ever seen made by him would be very hard to improve upon.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

Howard that is true I never handled anything made by Harry Miller. See my March 6 post. Year 1912. Reference New-Miller Manufacturing, Indianapolis, Ind. "Miller Carburetors and how they are made."
See Horseless Age p 822 + , Vol 30, No 22. I have handled items designed my Mr Miller, and others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:51 am:

James I see one of his carbs sold for $8,600 at RM auctions.. So $1600 seems a little low for two. AB4 and AB13 are stamped on the carbs. Not sure what the AB stands for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

Any one consider this may be aircraft related?
(The Airplane Engine, p282, Marks, 1922)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

remember mark that just because someone paid 8600 at auction for another carb does not mean that these are worth that much. Auctions are horridly unpredictable and different models have different values. Pintos and Shelby Mustangs are both Fords, but they certainly aren't worth the same amount

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

This is an earlier Miller Master carburetor from when he had his shop in Los Angeles. It is a jewel - like work of art, with a spray bar instead of jets, and a rotary barrel valve instead of a butterfly throttle.

This is typical of the carburetors Miller made. They were crazy expensive when they were new, not something for the average guy ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

I sold one like Royces for 600 a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

As used on Simplex race car.
http://theoldmotor.com/?p=53653

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 10:32 pm:

Anyone else waiting to see how many Mr. Howe has rebuilt and his technical opinion on the matter?

P.S. Glad to see you posting again Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

I have several of those Miller Master carbs in various sizes but I've never run one. The aluminum barrel tends to be swelled and stuck in the bore or the end of it popped off. It would be no big deal to make one but there are not hours enough in the day to do all those projects. I've tried several times to sell mine, not much interest in them.

I don't know anything about the ones at the beginning of this thread. I'd like to have them just because they are so cool looking.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration