Please don't do this

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Please don't do this
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Sometimes you see a mixture of text and pictures that's hard to read because of the way they're typed in the Add a Message box by the person posting them. The poster just types merrily away without separating text from images, and it results sometimes in a bit of unnecessary confusion for the reader.This causes a random arrangement that puts part of the text on the same line as the photo.Some of it may be on the left and some on the right, and it's easy for the reader to miss part of a sentence and have to go back and find it. The way it appears before posting is like this:

The hodgepodge is easy to avoid. Simply use the return key between text and image so they appear on different lines. It should look like this in the box:

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on March 06, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:20 am:

The choir will now rise and sing a rousing chorus of "Amen!" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:21 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:32 am:

Frustrated old teacher...(G)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:02 am:

In out next lesson we'll cover less/fewer, shrink/shrank/shrunk, and farther/further. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:13 am:

Thanks Steve, I was wondering how to do that, I finally figured out how to add the pics into the text and now maybe I can get them separated better. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:13 am:

When do we get to lay/lie and Extraneous Apostrophe Avoidance Techniques? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Steve, try to keep on topic..... next lesson should be to discuss TEE, TEA, T and TT!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:27 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtI1t_3wWLM

Honestly though, Good points Steve! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Hey Steve, don't forget then and than.

Then = time
Than = comparison

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

And also, don't forget their, there, & they're, were & where.

Have fun,

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

Please cover all those topics in this thread so they'll be easy to find and provide good reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

No one has mentioned to, too and two.

Oh, and this as well, of course....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Richard!!!!!

<grin>

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

And...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

And then there's,.....your and you're. But the fact remains, there are some folks that just don't care. They butcher the English language in writing just the same way that they speak it. I once made a comment about grammar, and a forum member came back with this perfect example:

"I once made a mistake in grammar,....."but I seen it as soon as I done it".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

I'm probably that forum member, Harold. The late Ben Teague, a technical translator and past president of the American Translators Association, made that comment at an annual conference once and I mention it often in different places. Ben had a dry sense of humor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

I can read a little writing but I can't write much readen.
gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

My peeve is

Your

and

You're

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:19 pm:

In reading this thread, I see a line of thinking that could cause the loss of posters to this forum. If you are in a bunch of fellow Model T owners would you feel obligated to correct their use of the language in front of all present. Many would feel highly insulted and believe you are trying to pat yourselves on the back showing how much smarter you are than them. I am not the most educated person and yes I have had this happen to me. I try to tell myself that is just because of their lack of diplomacy , but I still find it hard to accept them as a good friend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

A lot of us would do well to take this thread as good advice,.....or advise,......no,.......advice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

Jim, I just read back through the thread. No one has corrected anyone. It's all general commentary on the state of the language. I never correct people's grammar, spelling or anything else. If I can read it, that's fine. It's about the content. (Okay, I make an exception from time to time for Steve, but he expects it... :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:32 pm:

I find the content of the posts, pictures and information, far more important than grammar spelling and size and placement of photos. Threads like this have made me try harder to be more proper but in the process of answering questions or showing information the details are sometimes overlooked. I think Model T's is what we are here to talk about. Remember some of us did better in the workshop than in the classroom. I said before, I hope there is still a place for us here too.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Carson...Carthage NC on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

I blame it all on the autofinish/autocorrect "feature" on phones! And lack of proofing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:38 pm:

Of course, there are those (certainly not me) that speak and write perfect English, which would make this thread to those folks, a moot point. NOT a mute point, as there is no such thing,.....but a moot point!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:39 pm:

I like sing, sang and sung every bit as much a bring , brang, and brung. I just brung this thought to you all while I was sanging a tune. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

Jim Sims & Richard Eagle - Good points and well stated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

Affect and effect are hard ones for me.
Affect - To have feelings for. To have an effect on.
Effect - (n) To bring about. (vt) to cause to come into being.

Confused yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Rich, I have been a full-time translator for 23 years now. Language is the principal tool of my trade, so I am fairly skilled at using it. If the participants in this forum ever decide to have a competition with prizes for "Biggest Klutz on the Forum," I will have a heck of a good shot at first prize. I come here for the fellowship, not the language. "Smart" has nothing to do with it. Different people have different skills.

Dick
(Last kid chosen for playground teams all through school)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 02:04 pm:

Where's Hurk? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Dick - I'm not sure that the last kid was actually "chosen"!

Sorry,.....couldn't resist,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

I try to proof read my posts before launching them onto the net, I feel all of you guys deserve the respect, of a well written post, you are entitled to, as there is so much knowledge put out here on so many topics. If I may, I'd like to add one point to Steves post, hit the return between pictures, it spaces them out on the page, rather then jamming them all together. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

There are forums to discuss proper grammar - and this ain't one of 'em! ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

As Dick pointed out, none of the previous posts has singled out anybody. So far they've all been general comments about common errors. Plenty of times in the past seventy years I've seen such comments in print, as well as words, phrases, and sentences constructions that were unfamiliar to me. I never took any of those things as personal comments aimed at pointing out my own ignorance. My reaction was to look it up, learn about it, and maybe even remember it.

Back to the original pre-drift posting, it was intended to give some help to the folks who don't know the procedure. In that way it's the same as a post telling me how to set my timing or adjust my bands. Call it passing along useful information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

Dang it, Am I ever gonna get my nose out of the corner in this classroom? :-)
Where is my 2 pieces of chalk so I can double write my sentences during recess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson Absaroka County on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

Mack
That is Funny!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 03:18 pm:

How many times to people tell you about a meeting/date/etc and forget the most important Ws:

WHO
WHAT
WHEN
WHERE
WHY &
HOW MUCH

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

"Oh,dear!" sighed Warren as he came in from school one day; "I wish we didn't have to learn so much about periods and commas and semi-colons and such things, I hate them."
Momma laid down her sewing and said: "Why do you hate them Warren?"
"I hate to use them,and,besides I don't think they are of much use. I don't see why we cant just write sentences without putting in any punctuation marks."
Momma smiled, and then, rising from her chair, she went over to the desk and got out a piece of paper and a pencil. Then she wrote: "The little turkey strutted about the yard and ate corn half an hour after his head was cut off."
"Why, mommy, how funny!" exclaimed Warren when he read it. "How can a turkey walk around eating corn without a head."
"He couldn't," replied momma,"and I have written just what I intended to write. I have , however, left out all punctuation marks."
Then she bent down and punctuated the sentence. It read: "The little turkey strutted about the yard and ate corn; half an hour after, his head was cut off."
"Oh, I see," said Warren and then and there he resolved to learn all he could about punctuation marks.

I don't remember who first showed me this,but, I thought it fit this thread.
and just for you Steve

a picture of an old photo. The caption below reads Chief Justice Taft, Mrs. Taft, their daughter Helen(Mrs. Fredrick J. Manning), their two sons, Charles P. and Robert A. Taft their two daughters-in-law, and their ten grandchildren.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 03:27 pm:

My picture posting days ended when my MAC died.
If I ever post another picture on this site I will be thrilled just to have it appear!
Now if Steve wants to ship me his MAC then perhaps I will try to follow his suggestions :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

OMG, R U serious?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 03:53 pm:

Ah, yes, the importance of commas....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

My god, I hope spring is going to get here soon or this forum will self destruct. Spring Fever anyone?

Steve, I have to agree with you on the original topic. Even as a younger lad it is difficult to read. I often think the poster just forgot to finish typing, then at the bottom of the picture.....there it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

Thank you Steve J for the advice on how to separate photos from text. It can be very difficult to read some postings when an important part of the text is clearly missing in action (or should that be "inaction"?).
While I totally agree with most of the grammatical and spelling gripes? And I do also agree that we ALL could use an occasional push in the proper direction. There is one other thing that I have learned that I think is of importance here. And that is that there are many types of intelligence. Nobody rates high in all of them. Some of the smartest, most intelligent, and wisest people, that I have ever met, would have failed a basic English writing course.
A few of our regulars are like that. Several of them are people I enjoy reading their comments. I look forward to their contributions to our discussions and search for history. Those discussions are theirs also.
A few of those "regulars" are not posting as much as they used to. While I do enjoy the many comments in favor of proper word usage, I also fear that we may be discouraging some good people from participating here because they begin to feel uncomfortable.
We should all be somewhat aware of our own limitations. I do hope those that for whatever reason do not write with the precision of others here, will look into themselves, and see the person that I and others do want to hear from. Keep writing as you do, we want to read what you have to say (within reason, says the person that can rant off topic with the worst of them). The rest of us? We can all use a little improvement. Take the complaints about their they're there too to two for four fore in the spirit that they are intended, and maybe work on something, as we all should. I'll keep trying to work on those run-on sentences.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy those model T Fords! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

Good info Steve. I have had trouble with separating text from photos myself and stumbled on the way to avoid the problem by separating the text from the photo prompts. I wish that technique worked on emails.
Don't take any of the jokesters comments to heart. They are more interested in calling attention to how cute they are rather than commenting on the merits of your post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

Wayne - That's a very nice piece of writing you just posted, and among all of the points you just covered that I agree with you on, your first paragraph reminded me of a little sign I saw recently that had a very clever saying on it that I really like. I may not get this exactly word-for-word correct, but basically, it said,........."We are all ignorant, but of different things."

"Ain't that the truth", right? FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Wayne - That's a very nice piece of writing you just posted, and among all of the points you just covered that I agree with you on, your first paragraph reminded me of a little sign I saw recently that had a very clever saying on it that I really like. I may not get this exactly word-for-word correct, but basically, it said,........."We are all ignorant, but of different things."

"Ain't that the truth", right? FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

Oops! Seems that I just have to do that every once in awhile,.....I don't know why,........???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold R Carpenter - Fair Grove, MO on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:23 pm:

Although the thread is about the placement of pictures in text, which I appreciate Steve, I will add a little note that English is not a very logical language. The plural of goose is geese, the plural of moose is not meese, the plural of mouse is mice but the plural of house is not hice, and the plural of man is men but the plural of pan is not pen; so go figure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

Well, if we're gonna be correct in our word use, grammar, etc., a quote comes to mind. Said Winston Churchill some years ago, "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put!"

So watch it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

HRC - You just reminded me of something I have probably mentioned before,.....I have a Japanese daughter-in-law who has done very well in learning the English language, and so help me, I don't know how she has done it! I do remember that she told me that one big help to her initially was watching and listening to American cartoon shows on T.V. But there are so many "exceptions to the rule" as you have pointed out, many of which are just not logical to me at all,......HRS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:15 pm:

Dick, in my high school language arts class we had a sign that said:

Let's eat grandpa.
Let's eat, grandpa.
Correct punctuation could save someone's life.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

Exactly, Stephen! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

What makes this Forum so great? If you're reading this far you know!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

I like the "flying comma", allows you to say more with less than the rest of those little squiggles do. Though I can't cypher texting speak at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Fenton on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 11:37 am:

My favorite is:
Remember I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird foreign neighbor.
Thanks to Ms. Babcock, 4th grade teacher. And, in case she can see this, I also can still recite the verb helpers.
To make this T related, she did remark how complicated her father's 'antique' Model T was to drive compared to her recently acquired 1949 Chevy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

Mrs Babcock had an odd sense for what was complicated :-) Hey, it's the Chebby that's odd - even dangerous, har '49 wouldn't stop when pressing the right pedal, it would go faster - and it wouldn't go anywhere when pressing the low pedal??
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

About 20 years ago I was sent to Romania to work on the construction of a nuclear power plant. I was given a local as a helper so that he could learn a bit about the controls I was installing. He spoke fairly good english, I asked him where he learned, he said at the movies, John Wayne!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 04:20 pm:

Ken, remember, you can't put to much water in a nuclear reactor.

I am glad to see there is good natured banter and plenty of self deprecating fun going on here. I for one can't tell you how many times I type up a paragraph here and come up with several "red letter words", only to try variations of the spelling more than a few times before I stumble upon the correct versions of the words.

Or I just pick a different word.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

Yes, I know I left out several commas above. That magazine cover is to funny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Eric, too funny. :-)

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 08:59 pm:

The English language really is weird!

Why is it do you suppose, the the word "everyone" looks just fine, but there is no such word as noone; I guess it's "no one".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

To be discriminating is a virtue. To discriminate is a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

This thread reminds me of the kid who told his 9th grade English teacher "This will come in real handy if I ever get a job in a verb conjugation factory".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

There might not be a word noone,but there used to be a nooner!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud in central Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

Bud, "used to be"? Are you showing signs of age? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Yup!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration