Old Photo - Modle T At The Filling Station

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Modle T At The Filling Station
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:51 am:

nice top

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:05 pm:

A nice illustration of a starter equipped car that does NOT have the demountables.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:10 pm:

Hap, how do you know it is starter car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

Tony,
I had the same question but was embarrassed to ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

I suppose it is the lack of oil side lamps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

Starter cars most often didn't have cowl lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

Something looks strange with the driver side wheels.

It looks like the front and rear wheels have been switched. Front looks like 23" wheel with 30 x 3.5 tire and the rear looks like 24" wheel with 3 x 3 tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

I partially agree about the tire size. I think the rears are standard 30X3.5. They just look under-size because we are so used to seeing over-size tires on the rear. The front does, however, also look like 30X3.5. It does not appear to have a driver's door, so Canadian build is not likely.
I have heard that some owners and some dealers would have the fronts changed so that the tires would all match.
Interesting question.
Great photo regardless.
Thanks Jay, and all!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:38 pm:

I think you're right - 30 x 3.5 all around.

Here's a photo I have posted before, comparing oversize 30 x 3.5 to "true" 30 x 3.5 tires:

From left to right:

- 1930s or earlier Wards Riverside "blem" or "second" - slight defect in the bead so the Wards Riverside name was ground off - oversize

- 1950 Wards Riverside -oversize

- 1920s Trailblazer Cord - true 30 inch

- 1920s/1930s Goodyear - true 30 inch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:38 am:

Steve -- thanks for reposting the photo of the tires and wheels!

Tony and Henry,

Yes, the cars that were equipped with starters/generators did not come with oil side lamps. (Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/U-Z.htm#wshld which is discussing windshields. There Bruce stated concerning the open car windshields, “With the introduction of electrical equipment in mid-1919 the windshield mounting brackets were redesigned to eliminate the side lamp brackets on those supplied by the factory with starters. The older style (with the brackets for the oil lamps) continued on the non-starter cars.” Of course someone could remove the oil lamps and if they wanted to they could remove the evidence of the oil lamp brackets by either switching out the windshield brackets or later on – the side lamp brackets were merely bolted to the car using the same two bolts that held the windshield brackets.

Henry – its ok to ask questions -- that is one of the way’s we learn more about our cars. If it is not ok – then a lot of us -- including me -- are “messing up.” Another way to learn more about the cars would be to review some of the literature that is available. A good start is the online encyclopedia at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/index.htm which has a lot of good information about how the “typical” Model T was constructed for any given model year. I would like to emphasize the word “typical” because there were many variations not only at the main plant but at the branch plants over the years. And of course Canada, England, and later Australia, NZ etc. [technically Branch Plants – but really Canada and England were really early ones] assembled cars and would have had some local variations (for example the Canadian 1915 touring had 4 functional doors. The English 1915 touring only had 3 functional doors, but the false door was on the right side rather than the left side -- so the opposite of the USA tourings. )

Richard – you mentioned “Starter cars most often didn't have cowl lamps.” I know that owners now days sometimes add the side lamps to make their car look the way they want it to look. But I am not aware of any factory equipped starter cars coming with the oil cowl lamps also. It could have happened --- but do you have any illustrations, references, etc. discussing that? I am always looking for additional information about the cars. But I am also trying to document where the information came from.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration