Talk about a vague ad....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Talk about a vague ad....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-T-1913-ford-model-t-manual-restored-/22170905 1615?forcerrptr=true&hash=item339ee3a6df&item=221709051615&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

He's stated the year, told of it's condition and stated his price (which seems a bit on the low side considering), I guess he figures the award on the windshield says it all, so what's left to say. Or maybe he's hoping somebody will give it a good home...how altruistic do you think he is? My money is on that's it not a real 1913 and his title probably proves it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

its not a vague add, its the new stupidness of ebay. i noticed early this week when i saw three adds with no description. i thought how the heck are you gonna sell a 30 thousand dollar car without telling me anything about it? well, our web designers think the more clicks the better. so, now all week i see that every ebay add has another box to click that says" see complete description". then you click on that, then you hit X to make it go away,then you click on "back to search", and in my case it brings up a totally blank screen, so then you click your back button again, now about one minute and six clicks you are back shopping. how dumb is that? fine if your selling a pair of socks, but when you click on a car, you certainly have enough interest that your gonna want to read about the item, so why all the extra crap to get it? the more gizmos the better, like i cant operate a car radio any more, or a tv remote.... i better quit now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

VIN works out to a May 1914 engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:33 pm:

One fuzzy photo is not going to bring much action, unless you are really looking for a 13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

Way too much about them and not enough about the car they are selling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

I agree. One picture, especially one that bad, won't do much good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, March 06, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

i just got off the phone with a friend, and we compared ebay listings at the same time. same listing, same time, on the phone, and my screen showed no description without clicking another box, his showed the whole listing, no need for extra clicks. Ed, check again, is there a big blue box under the vehicle specs ( cyl, ac,power brakes etc) that says click to see full description? i must be part of a test they are doing, perhaps you too if you see that. same browser too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 12:05 am:

also, when i look at the listing ed posted, i get the blue box under item specifics, that says "veiw the full description". no other description without clicking that box. any body else see that????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:11 am:

This is a listing service. Most likely the seller submitted one picture and a brief description and the ad is posted in various places such as Auto Trader, etc. The Ebay listing is probably just one avenue for the sale. I'm sure if you request more pictures you would get them. These are the guys that call you when you place an ad on Craigslist and want to help you sell your car for a "small" fee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 09:16 am:

Well, I almost hate to bring this up, but feel it's worth mentioning. I came across this car late last year when I saw it in Hemmings for $43K!! Yes, 43!! Had them take some pictures-old fashioned way, they have no computer. Very nice older couple for sure. When I got the pics I was shocked to see the paint is totally wrecked from the heat while this car was in one of those public storage buildings. The lady didn't seem too concerned about it, the brass has that great patina for those who like heavily tarnished brass. Needless to say, I politely declined even talking further and sent the pics back. Found a 200% nicer '13 for half the money!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:36 am:

I see the normal equipment description that an Ebay ad has but beyond that and only one photo, that's it. This car is not even listed in the other cars they are selling.
There is more to selling something then checking a few box's on the power train and typing in the mileage and VIN. A good description of the physical condition and in this day and age when you are buying over the internet not from next door, good PHOTOS are a must. I see a good number of ads that the car being sold (some of way over market)is sitting in a garage or barn in the back corner piled high with junk, some even having been restored at one time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:40 am:

With respect to the "See full item description" button, I think this has something to do with eBay saving on bandwidth by not having to display all the graphics and photos for window shoppers. It's just like when you want to look at an ended listing and have to take an extra step to actually see it. They are getting penny wise and pound foolish with all of these extra hoops they keep making people jump through (buyers and sellers both) and you can almost be guaranteed that any irritating change like this that they make, it's made to better their bottom line -- not to enhance your experience.

There's a "Tell us what you think" button directly to the right of it. Do it. Let 'em have it with both barrels and maybe this foolishness will go away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:46 am:

The listing worked fine for me, no extra clicks or hoops to jump through. It looks like a nice car from what I can see in the picture. If I were in the market for a '13, I'd drive over to OKC and look it over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Some of us only see the normal equipment part of an Ebay ad with no box to check to see better description;

Vehicle Specifics for 1913 Ford Model T
Powered By AutoCheck
Vehicle History Report Not Available
1913 Ford Model T
VIN#: 519513
Possible Explanations why the report is not available include:

The seller didn't enter the vehicle identification number correctly.
The vehicle is too new to have a history report.
The vehicle was manufactured prior to 1981.
The vehicle didn't have a 17-digit vehicle identification number.
The vehicle wasn't intended for the US market (such as limited production exotics).

Item specifics
Condition: Used VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): 519513
Year: 1913 Interior Color: Other Color
Make: Ford Transmission: Manual
Model:
Model T
Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty
Mileage: 0 Vehicle Title: Clear
Exterior Color: Blue For Sale By: Private Seller

If you are getting more then what I have posted here then we are not all seeing it as some are not getting a box to check for different description. I understand using a different photo carrier like some ads do as Ebay dose not have much band width when it come to photos and expect that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:35 am:

If it was listed last year for 43 grand, I expect the current reserve is also wildly high and it's unlikely to sell until reality sets in and the reserve comes down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:43 am:

It's some sort of beta test where eBay anointed some lucky users and not others. Probably has to do with activity or feedback.

There's a discussion with screenshot here:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2015/2/1423711994.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:50 am:

thanks for posting that Walter. i wonder if ebay will get the hint. and yes, i give em both barrels and then some every listing i look at. i would like to send them off a nasty letter besides, but likely that would take the rest of my day to get thru all the hoops to find where to send it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

Let's send Mike and Frank to buy it for us. Oops better not as they would probably ask for 45 thou.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 05:59 pm:

But where is the MANUAL?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

Don't expect "computer people" to take a hint. Having spent nearly half my working career working with those people, I know something about it. They think quality of life is measured by how many times you can click a button, or how much free web space you can take up to say nothing (otherwise sometimes known as "glitz"). Most of them grew up wasting their childhoods playing Super Mario Brothers and believe that everyone in the world has nothing better to do than play hide and seek on their computer screen all day and night long looking for secret life and magic keys or mushrooms.
Do you think people that preach putting as many click-words into your ad's topic line as possible (instead of actually saying what you have for sale) is going to ever accept that a description in the listing might also be a good idea?
One of the things I have looked for for many years is a replacement for my Homburg hat that was stolen many years ago. For years, I would do my search on eBad, get maybe a couple dozen hits. Some were way over priced, some in poor condition, some just not what I wanted. The last past few times I tried to search, I got more than ten thousand hits. Not one in a hundred was anything whatsoever to do with a Homburg. I read dozens of listings to see if ANYTHING ANYWHERE inside the listing had the word Homburg. No, they didn't. I haven't checked for a while now (maybe they've changed it? I did send a complaint to them. Never got a response). eBad, in order to garner more hits for their sellers made "Homburg" synonymous with "hat".
No. Those people do not understand that information is important. You are supposed to just click around till something catches your eye. Then click on "Buy it now" because that is how you are supposed to do everything.

Ranted too much. Again.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:20 pm:

well put Wayne. i read a couple pages of the complaints in the link posted above, and the one that stood out to me was saying that the test may be so in the future you would pay extra fees to have the description show in the listing. poor ebay, they must be really hurting for cash. if you sell a ping pong ball, i guess it would work, but any of the antique things we all go after, whether it be a car or a household antique, it better have a good description or i wont be a bidder. i guess i got the habit back when i had dial up and the photos would be slow to load so always read the description while waiting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

pic looks like it was taken in 1978.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:59 pm:

The area code given in the advert is 402 which is eastern Nebraska.
Looks ok but I wonder when the picture was taken?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

update on the ebay thing. first, this thread has sort of taken 2 paths, sorry for that, but i actually had them on the phone today. it really wasn't too tuff to do either, small wait. it seems that besides missing the description, some other features from my ebay selling account have changed. i could not send an invoice for a sold item, and i could not see the original listing to try to figure out why i could not send an invoice. earlier in the day a friend logged into his account, on my computer, and could not see a description. so, it must be my IP address that is the contaminated spot. so i called them up. the gal on the phone at first denied any knowledge of the test. hard to believe that. next she had me click on relist the item,which will bring up your whole original listing. there used to be a spot to click"see original listing", but no more on my machine. so when we saw the "relist" item page it showed that i had checked a box that said "payment by cash or money order within 7 days". i never checked that because i dont belive that you can!!!! always it is automatically set up to take pay pal only. so, i got past that confusion and she went and asked some one about the test. the answer was, its only for 2 weeks, and the reason is that many people now are using an ebay ap on they're smart phone. i dont know any thing about smart phones, but she said they do not see they description without clicking another window already. true? soon i suppose we will all click another window that will be full of more money making ads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:40 pm:

I have to click on a description box to see the description on my Kindle for active auctions. I can't find the description at all for sold items when on the Kindle.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration