OT - $14 Billion and They Call it a FORD

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - $14 Billion and They Call it a FORD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

USS Gerald R. Ford:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

Yup! Not only the most costly Ford, the biggest too. 1,106 feet long and over 100,000 ton displacement.

Of course I learned many years ago while serving in the submarine service that there are only two kinds of ships at sea, submarines and targets. :-)

Neat photo. Thanks Ralph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Cool! I was aboard the Eisenhower for a good while. I understand the Ford is a new class with the JFK to follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

My son is a shipbuilder at the Newport News shipyard. He is one of thousands of skilled craftsman building this magnificent ship. I'm a retired navy Chief and was fortunate to attend the FORD's Christening ceremony in late 2013. She is a beautiful ship with capabilities far beyond the current Nimitz class carriers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 06:33 pm:

Actually cvn-88 has been launched and is in the final fitting out stage. Right now they are cutting metal on cvn-89 the John F Kennedy and cvn-90 the Enterprise is in the planning stage.

Just an fyi

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

How many carriers in the world, and which nations?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Gary, what years were you on the Ike?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

78-82. I wasn't ships company but was in VF-143.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

The Ford is CVN 78, Kennedy will be CVN 79.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

You were on when it was about new. I was a Nuke MM from 97-99.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

I have heard it's still the cleanest carrier in the Navy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Ralph, here is Wikipedia's answer to your question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_carrier#National_fleets

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Steve Blancard, You are corretc. I stand corrected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Take a look at the Russian carrier Admiral Kusnetsov. I wonder how well that upswing on the forward end of the flight deck worked out for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Galen West - Halfway OR on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

Henry, I too was a submariner. 1959-63. What years were in and what boats?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Galen,
I was in the US Navy from July 1968 until June 1972. I was on the USS Trigger (SS 564) from January 1970 until June 1972. I reported aboard her in Charleston, SC and a few months later we sailed via Jamaica, Panama and Acapulco to new home port San Diego. Then we made several cruises to Victoria, Nanaimo, Vancouver, Seattle, and Bangor testing the then new Mk 48 torpedo system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Kile ....San Jose CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Henry, I served on board the USS Nereus AS-17 in San Diego the same time as you. Was your boat attached to the Nereus or the Sperry?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

I have been in two subs in my life. The U-505 and the USS Cobia in Manitowoc. Does that count? ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Bruce,
We were attached to the Sperry, if I remember correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Have you ever considered that there are more aircraft in the ocean than there are submarines in the sky. Go Air Force.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay F. Cramer on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

My dad was a Marine so long ago that he served on the Mayflower (PY-1, the first of class called Patrol Yachts that started during the Spanish-American war). After WWI it was converted to the presidential yacht, then later reconverted to a gunboat and serving under the Coast Guard. After WWII it ended up in the hands of the Israeli navy. My dad was on it in the presidential yacht part of its career, during the Coolidge administration. To bring in T content, he said when were at the summer White House they used to borrow a TT that belonged to the government, tie the doors open to cover the official markings, and drive up to Canada for a load of liquor. The Customs agent at the border would confiscate a few bottles (probably his commission off the top) and send them on their way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 01:47 am:

Hal,
I can swim. Can you fly? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:35 am:

In all the years I have worked on aircraft I never left one up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:43 am:

Good one Royce! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:47 am:

Guess the Greeks got it right in the first place;

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration