Starters, What years?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Starters, What years?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

What is the first year that Model Ts had starters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

I have always understood 1919, but more knowledgeable people here will deny, confirm or expand on that.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Not all 1919 had starters ,but some one will know when they were added.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:55 pm:

07-24-1919 block replaced with the new starter type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

To the best of my recollection, the closed cars began to have starter/generator system in about the middle of January 1919. The open cars (at least some) were available with the starting system around the first to middle part of May 1919. My 1919 starter car is middle of May. Has some of the unique early starter car parts on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:44 pm:

Not, of course, counting the dozen or so earlier add-on accessory starters designed by Rube Goldberg (just kidding, most of them actually worked quite well). They were available by late 1913 if I recall correctly.
I am not the expert either, but the information given by Dick L, Kevin H, Frank v E, and Dennis H is all what I remember also.
Model Ts were available without a starter at least through 1926 model year.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:36 pm:

I think that Starters were still considered an option right through 1927. Not all were purchased with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Like Dennis said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 03:36 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/index.htm

1927 - Starter and 21-inch demountable wheels were standard on all cars. Starter was optional on the truck.

1926:
Touring early models with 30 x 3-1/2 non-demountable wheels and no starter. Available only on special order before calendar 1926.

Starter is optional on the truck. Pickup body for Runabout, $25.
NOTE: Starter and 21 demountable wheels were standard on all cars after early calendar 1926.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration