Flywheel magnets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Flywheel magnets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Ok fellows,
I need to put new bolts and washers on a flywheel I am rebuilding that hold the magnets in place. I notice the old washers are 3/32" thick, seams od ball to me. Next what do you use for new bolts, I am thinking grade eight 2 1/2 inches long? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 08:52 pm:

If your bolts are stripped or stretched or otherwise unusable, good original bolts and washers are plentiful. Grade 8 bolts is overkill. Just make sure the holes in the flywheel are clean and the threads on your new old bolts are straight and sharp and you're good to go.

I do, however, recommend that you NOT re-use the aluminum spools out on the ends of the magnets. They are usually brittle. Make or have someone make new brass or aluminum ones. They don't have to be hourglass shaped like the originals, though you can skinny them down in the middle to save weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

RV,
Thanks for the reply, I didn't know if the bolts on a flywheel needed to be stronger because of the weight at 1800 RPM. I notice the venders do not seam to carry flywheel magnet bolts so I will try to find some on e-bay or something.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

Jim, what is wrong with the old bolts?

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim B Boyer on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

Stephen,
I bought the flywheel on e-bay a few years ago with no hardware and I have a set of magnets and now I want to put it together. I also have a issue with washers, should I use washers from the hardware store or should they be a harder machine variety? Just want to get this part right. Thanks
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

I'm sure there are several local T'ers who has plenty of those bolts and washers in good condition and would give them to you or sell them very cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

send me an e-mail at dmcgearsatyahoodotcom.
I have plenty and they will fit in a small flat rate box.
Dan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration