Hassler Beehive Shock Absorbers. How I dealt with them.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hassler Beehive Shock Absorbers. How I dealt with them.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

I had posted this on the 2004 Forum. I thought it might be a benefit to someone again. The reason I got involved with the Hasslers is because I had a right side spring shackle to freeze up. When the front end wanted to bounce, the frozen shackle wouldn’t allow that side of the car to bounce while the other side did bounce. It was causing the front end to ‘leap’.
0frozenshackle

Not knowing if I really had to take everything apart, I did it anyway.
I can’t remember everything that I did. So, anyone doing this the first time may pick up some ideas from what I did. There is probably a more correct way of doing it but without any instructions, my process was a “hit/miss” venture. But it worked out fine.

When beginning to re-assemble the axel to the spring I first tried with the spring fastened up under the frame. When I held the axle up to the spring I couldn’t get the perches to come anyway near to entering the locations where they go through the axel.

I found that by having the already assembled spring and the axle laid out on the floor I was able to position both so as to be able to insert the perches through axle. I did have to do some forcing of the perches into the axle.

One of the larger Model T Ford clubs had a piece on Hassles with pictures & instructions like the black and white pictures below. But that website has disappeared. So, it is a good thing that I had saved the pictures.
IF YOU HAVE HASSLERS YOU OUGHT TO SAVE THE URL FOR THIS SUBJECT SO THAT YOU CAN COME BACK TO IT.

This brochure may be of some help?? (I have never seen it) http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/2081

The first thing to do is to make two spring compressing bolt thingies. First picture below.

It all came down really to tinkering. Rather than you having to read instructions, my pictures should be of the most help.
You are welcome to copy my pictures and print them.
My advice… if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

If you decide to not reinstall the Hasslers you have to exchange the perches from one side to the other. You can’t just turn them around… they will be at a wrong angle.
The last picture is for rear Hasslers.
Gene in Virginia Beach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

Woah! One of my pictures is too large. I thought by Xing down the page would get rid of the whole thing. But it didn't
It's back to the drawing board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Try resizing them to 6" x 4" at 72 to 110 dpi color and 150 dpi for B/W...works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

try putting them on the other forum no guess work,click-click-done.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Aside from the "other forum" Charlie, any other sage advice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:28 am:

i will have some for sale on the $5 & dime + trailer at at chickasha.will post pics later today you know where.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:47 am:

I don't see what the problem is. This is only 4 KB. It works just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Ha! Steve is in a playful mood today, must be the warmer weather. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Charley is correct, far easier to upload photos to the Model T Forum here:
http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/forumdisplay.php/1-Model-T-Forums

Over here on the speedster forum it can still be done, it just takes a lot more effort.

The shaft of the Hassler removal tool needs to be hard threaded rod. This used to be a 10" C-clamp bought at a yard sale for a dollar. The rod is 7/16" diameter, with the end ground down to 1/2" to fit the hole in the Hassler plate:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:24 am:

The "big end" of the tool was made from 1" X 1" X .090" 4130 steel tube. You could also make the end from steel bar stock. A doubler plate was riveted on to add strength.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:28 am:

The pin on the small end is a #12 drill shank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Here is a page from the Hassler instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:39 am:

Front instructions:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:56 am:

A link to full size images and instructions on the Model T Forum is here:
http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/1120-Hassler-tool-fabrication-and-i nstructions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

thank you royce!!! i was beginning to think i was nuts,now i think i am just old!!!!!!!!!!. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Good to see you back Royce. See you at Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Despite my not getting pictures posted there has been some good information added. Yes, on a new post it looks like I failed again but was able to post some pictures down into this string, http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/524966.html?1426168045
Be sure to click on the website that Roger Karlsson gives. It has my Forum 2008 pictures

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration