What was your best day owning a Model T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What was your best day owning a Model T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:51 am:

My best days owning a Model T are spent driving grandchildren and teaching them how to drive a Model T!
ps: you'll have to ask for "the rest of the story" about this photo, it has to do with what their mother said about it. Look for more photos with grandchildren coming soon.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:14 am:

I've lived lots of fun days with my T, but the most rewarding was seeing the faces of children and their families/caretakers when they got to look at, take pictures of and ride in my car. We selected groups with special needs (underprivileged, ill or otherwise) and gave them rides around town during our special event. The biggest group was 171 kids one year. It was amazing! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 08:18 am:

Eric looks like you really are enjoying yourself and performing a wonderful service for those children and their family's. Keep up the good work!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:12 am:

Last year was the first year I participated in the Light Parade of the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village. It started out at dusk but was dark when done. It was such an adrenaline rush driving bumper to bumper with other cars and all gas lights lit. The exhaust smell of so many slow moving, rich running antiques was incredible. The experience of Greenfield Village is one every T owner should have, and driving at night put it over the top. The main street all lit up with a few thousand people standing on the curb watching the parade. Some areas of the route were dark and with no lights inside it was an experience I had never had while driving the T. The reflectors in my Model 16 head lamps are poor, if I really had the need to drive at night, I would have to improve them. The people and the cars put the experience at the top for me......Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Every day is my best day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

My best day of owning my 22 Touring cut off was in 2011. I invited my uncle down to my house and surprised him with what I had done to the T he had given me in 2001. This T had been in the family since new and was parked in 42 because of the war. The last memory he has of it was when he was 4 years old in 1937 in Haverhill Ma watching his father drive away with it for a trip to Conway NH to the family farm. Taking him for that ride in 2011 looking over seeing that smile on his face turned him from 78 years old to 4 years old was amazing. I gave him a ride in the T he always wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Our adventure with T's was short lived. From late 06 till we liquidated when we decided to move to Ecuador. They were all "best days", especially out driving but they were really special when backing them (22 bitsa p/u, 26 roadster & 27 speedster)off the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

My wedding, June 23rd, 2012 :-) Well, my '15 T is following me at least :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Wedding have always been great but one of the best days was for a birthday. Our neighbor was to turn 100 and we tried to have the car legal and in shape to pick her up in 2005. Did not work. Well maybe at 101. No, maybe 102? Well at 103 in 2008 the car was on the road. She came down our street in the back of our touring with the queens wave. She had been in silent films, bit parts and was even pictured with Fanny Brice (sp?) and she could still play the part. Great memories of a great lady.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Larry is right every day is a great day in a Model T. A few stand out more than the rest. I have to say my all-time best was at the Centennial. We were driving around in our 14 Touring, I pulled into a tree shaded area and asked Ellen if she would marry me. Obviously she said yes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

When I turned the key and hit the starter button on the newly rebuilt engine I had just dropped into my '26 Touring and it started right up! Ran great from the get-go without any hassles or problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Robert Skingley - I agree that driving in the Old Car Festival Gaslight Parade is a great experience.

BTW, the picture you posted of your T with all the lights lit is a really good one. It would be a very good one for your Profile Picture...just my opinion.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Had the car one day (barn find); after replacing the engine harness wiring (no insulation--but original wires w/ford tag!), cleaning mud-daubber nests out of the intake & valve galley, AFT down the spark plug holes, fresh oil, fresh gas, checked the coils for buzzing (no, didn't even set them, nor did I clean out the carb!). About ^ hand cranks, maybe a few more, she sputtered, Opened the mixture a bit more, two more cranks and she RAN!
and we're off to the garage!
So far, that's been my best day with Barney! Have more work to do before driving him (oh, second best day was when the license & title arrived!) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 05:41 pm:

I really enjoyed using my '14 in my wedding, but my best Model T day happened about 18 months earlier. When I got home from the All T Reunion in Farmington, MN, I decided to take my '22 Centerdoor out for a spin. That drove changed my life.

A common stop for my on my little joyrides was at a local botanical garden. They have a peacock pen there and I like to watch them. On that particular day, I met Nicole, the young woman who would sit next to me in the '14 on our wedding day and many subsequent tours. She supports my affliction with old cars and even takes turns at the wheel. Sharing my life and hobby with her is my greatest pleasure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:16 pm:

I am surprised no has said, the day I bought it and the day I sold it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Haven't had a bad day yet even though I have been left stranded.

It's amazing how many new friends you can make while sitting alongside the road in a broken down Model T...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Taking my Daughter and granddaughter in our annual Memorial Day Parade. We see them so seldom - Overseas with the Navy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

That one is easy to answer.
The best day for us was when I took my mom for her first ride in the T after it was stored for 45 years.
It was Thanksgiving and the ride included my two granddaughters.

Here we are backing out of the driveway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

I don't have any ancestors with whom to share my Model T's, and I envy those of you who do. My parents grew up during the depression of the 1930's, and during the time I knew them they preferred "new" to "old stuff." My Grandparents probably would enjoy riding in Model T's today if they were alive, but they're long gone.

I think the most enjoyable time I've spent with a Model T is when I drove my '15 Touring from here in NW Arkansas to Richmond for the Centennial. It took 4 days to get there, I drove on tours during the week, and made it home in "only" 3 days. One of the days going, I was with Club members in their T's. The rest of the time, it was just me and my T. The trip was 1,800 miles in all, and I loved every one of them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:17 am:

Christmas morning 2 years ago when the boys came running in to wake us up saying "Santa brought us a Model T!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

How can you pick a "Best" day. I've had dozens of fantastic T days over the last 50 years. The Best recent days have been with Grandchildren. This one was on a VMCCA tour. We had the oldest car and elected not to travel the 200 mile plus day with the later (30's to 80's) cars but drove to the coffee stop and spent the rest of the day on the beach at Bear Lake in Utah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:25 pm:

Lots of good memories with the ol' TT, but the one that stands out the most is my worst memory. I was about 10 years old. My grandfather and uncle and I took the truck out into the orchard to pick up freshly picked fruit. We arrived at the first stack of boxes. They got out of the truck and told me to sit in the drivers seat. I was told they'd load the fruit. My job, once the stack of boxes was loaded, was to press the low pedal and drive the truck to the next stack.

Well, the first time I pressed that damn pedal I killed it. If looks could kill I'd be dead too! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

Driven three T's, three best days

September 1986: Visited my touring at the restoration shop. Was able to take bride for her first ride and all caught on video tape!

August 2010: Just finished re-wiring friends '26 tudor. Asked me to take him for a ride. Haven't driven a T since to 1994. After doing three point turn in driveway,(just like riding a bicycle or __x) away we went

September 2014: Took runabout to car show in downtown Salem, wound up getting interviewed for local cable station and took home Sponser's trophy.

Every time I get behind the steering wheel is a best day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

The Day I bought it...and the day I sold it!

Just kidding about the day I sold it.

Thats what they say about Boats and Motorcycles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

My dad bought a 1925 coupe from the original owner in 1960. It had a bad bearing in the engine, so it could not be driven. He wanted to drive it in the local Pancake Day Parade in about a month. He found another engine and swapped them out. He finished the project the night before the big parade. When he asked his employer for time off to drive his Model T in the parade, they refused to give him the time off, as he had just started the job a few months before and had no vacation time accrued.

His younger brother, my uncle Jim, volunteered to drive the car in the parade. Of course I was 9 years old and got to ride along. I rode the car in the parade, and it ran wonderfully. All my dad got was a black and white picture of the car in the parade.

The day after the parade, my dad bought a farm. It was a life long dream to own a farm, and at 34 years of age, and a wife and six kids, the Model T was parked. It took several weeks to make the move to the farm, and when it was time to move the Model T, it would not start. It was pulled to the farm with a rope, and parked in a barn.

It sat in the barn from 1960 to 2005. Dad always talked about getting the car out and getting it going, but it never happened. One day I told him that if he was ever going to get anything done, I would help him, and we better get started.

He agreed, and we brought it to my shop. Within a few days, he told he thought it best if I just took the car. So I did. He was not in good enough heath to really help, but he would stop by almost everyday to check on progress.

It took me 2 years to completely rebuild the car, every nut and bolt. I finished the day before Pancake Day Parade, 2007.

Dad may have missed the Pancake Day Parade in 1960, but he was with me when we took it in 2007. That was a great day.

Every year after that, it was understood that Dad and I were in the Pancake Day Parade, with the Model T. The last time was 2010, and it took 4 people to get dad in the car. He suffered from Parkinsons. By that time he had lost his ability to speak, but riding in that parade, he was still able to muster a smile. Looking back, that day was the "best day".

Dad died in 2011, just a few days before the parade. He never did get to drive the car, but sure enjoyed our trips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 01:51 pm:

There were a lot of good times in my model T's.
A lot of years ago I did some courting in a rough touring car. (The lady is now my wife) Some time after that, hauling around my two sons.
In late 1994 I was in Galveston in my 1910 Mother-In-Law roadster doing a part in a western movie (Down town Galveston) There were lots of model T cars parked along the street and also Texas cattle and horses. The movie people had me drive my car into a small herd of Texas longhorn cattle. (I only got one ding in the radiator)
The movie name was "Gambler V", a Kenny Rogers western movie.
I also had a scene photographed and publisher in the July-Aug issue of "Vintage Ford" 1995. The photograph made the front cover.
Jay personally called me and called me "Cover Boy".
I just finished looking at a part of the movie I found looking up Gambler V movie no my computer. Brought back some good old memories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

The best times are giving kids or adults a ride in my Speedster.

One time I drove a young lady around a gas station and she was just thrilled.

A couple years ago I drove to UW-Madison and a middle aged lady asked for a ride. She is the Dean!

Unfortunately she did not agree to grant my son all A's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

After owning over 20 model T's my best day and sad day was after my mother died when when my dad said to come take his T to it's new home my house. He had owned it for almost 60 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

Warren,
I can identify with your example. It was a bittersweet day when, shortly after my father's unexpected passing, my mother signed over the title to the '23 Runabout that my father and I restored together. The memories of time spent with him are worth more to me than the car is, but the car is still priceless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:10 am:

I think we all agree the best time is just getting out driving and sharing our Model Ts.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

My 1919 Speedster was my grandfathers back in the 1920s, then my dad ran it from the mid 50s until he took it off the road for engine work in 1979. Well, it sat for the next 33 years, disassembled, in my brother's barn. Dad passed several years ago, and in late 2012 I trailered all the parts from the barn in upstate NY back to my home in Dayton, Ohio, and started working on it. My first drive was last spring, but that wasn't the best day.

Last September, my mother (now 71) came to visit. She had not seen the restored Speedster in person until then. We were both very emotional, as I was able to give her a ride in the same car that she had first rode in when she was 17 years old, and was dating my father.

That was my best day so far, and will be tough to beat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 06:52 am:

Thanks Dave, I agree that would be a very special day.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 04:30 pm:

When Liz came awake after her 50 year sleep!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

The day I took all 8 grand kids for a ride.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration