Mac's, Praise for a much maligned vendor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Mac's, Praise for a much maligned vendor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 11:55 am:

I know many club members have had poor or even terrible service from Mac's but I have never had any problems over the last few years, and now they have done for me the ultimate in customer service. Last September I bought a set of coils that were supposed to have been tasted and ready to use. I just stored them away for future use without unpacking them. In early February I unpacked them and they looked pretty but were definitely not ready to use, Points not matching, loose boxes, etc. I called our resident coil guru Ron Patterson and sent him pictures. He advised me that the best place for them was the trash. I called Mac's and spoke to a customer service rep. who was professional and helpful. She advised me to return them with a copy of the original invoice. I returned them fully expecting no credit or at least a substantial re-stock charge but to my surprise , on checking my credit card statement I found a credit for the full purchase price. Others may not agree, but I feel Mac's has always done right by me and this proves they still do. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

Well, they sold crap coils to you..
(Ok, all the vendors sell substandard parts - but the better ones will probably tell you about the problem parts if you ask before buying)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Your correct, the coils were not useable but at least they made good on the product even after 5 months. I wonder if any other vendor would have honored my return. Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 03:00 pm:

New coils do not come from the manufacturer pre- adjusted. It is up to the seller or customer to do the adjusting. Since most customers do not have a hand crank coil tester or even know how to adjust coils we pre-adjust every coil we sell. Most dealers do not do this and it is up to the customer. Most Model T parts available today are quality parts. There are a few that have problems but they are all that are available. It is better to have something than nothing at all. Hopefully those sub standard parts will be improved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

Maybe they had to stay in the oven a little longer,next time use a thermometer.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!
Tasted instead of tested

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 03:31 pm:

With all due respect, I don't see anything terrific in the customer service described in this thread. Any decent reputable old car parts vendor would have done the same.

Maybe Harvey's excitement from the no hassle return stems from low expectations which are in turn attributable to the experiences suffered by many others with the particular vendor.

I am happy for Harvey, but not impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

I am with you,Timothy,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

The best experience with customer service is when you don't have to use it because of broken or inferior merchandise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

Glenn, The coils I purchased from Mac's were listed as " original style with K_W point and bench tested. Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't the bench tested statement mean they were ready to use? That is how I read it. These were obviously not. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

I think if they buzz, they're tested as good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

If they were HCCT'd they'd probably have mentioned it. Harvey I had the same type of experience with them concerning the bad point sets that were out there a while ago. I specifically asked if they were OK because of what I'd read here on the Forum. Assured they were OK and they weren't. They took them back with a refund but I was out the shipping and I never got it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

John Regan calibrates his on a HCCT.

http://www.funprojects.com/products/5007KW.aspx

He also makes brass-topped ones for the early T's.

coils

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Just buzzing good is not ok. They have to be checked for gap, upper spring tension and movement and current draw. If all of that is set properly they should give you a nice consistent spark. Any dealer worth his weight in Model T Parts will gladly give you a refund if you are not satisfied and if he is smart he will try to find out why you are unhappy and correct that problem. Some dealers just don't care if you like their parts or not. I won't name names but there are a few. That's just bad business and the word gets around fast. 99% of the parts we manufacture are made in the USA so we can maintain Quality control.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 08:32 pm:

I saw those coils in person at Mac's and they really do belong in the trash as Ron Patterson said. Cases made of cheap wood and barely holding together. Points that were bolted on with no attempt to even align them and cushion springs that often don't move. One good thing about the big, corporate T store is they will usually accept returns without problem. I have returned items there six months later, hassle free. What made me laugh though was the decorative Model T coil clock on display in the showroom. The points were aligned perfectly and the cushion spring moves as it should. Go figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 07:01 am:

There are enough good vendors listed on this forum, why deal with a problematic one. 3 years ago I purchased four sets of coils from Ron Patterson.They have been so problem-free that with my 14 during heavy rains I would get water in the coil box. I ended up sealing the coil box cover with strip caulk 2 years ago. I haven't had to remove the cover since (and I do put a lot of miles on this car).I recently ordered a starter from Ron Patterson and mentioned how trouble free his coils have been, he stated obviously the points can go out of adjustment and if I ever had a problem with them just let him know. I've purchased parts from Glenn Chaffin, excellent service from him also. Of course everyone knows Langs excellent customer service

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:30 am:

As far as the coils are concerned Macs probably didn't manufacture the coils. If that's the case their quality control is not good.

I don't know if Macs has people on their staff who are really 'T' people and if they don't that's a part of the problem.

Maybe some of the vendors who manufacture T parts and sell their wares to Macs need to talk to them about quality control issues they hear about.

After all since Macs is a T parts supplier and their business suffers the vendors who supply their wares to them also suffer in the long run with one less parts supplier to sell to.

As whats been posted on this forum repeatedly: 'its all about the money' in the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

David Wells The Coil Box Clock was likely made in the Hamilton, Ontario Clock Company or perhaps in Hamilton, Ohio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Well John, if it was made here, that would explain why the coil casing looks so poor. U.S. Customs probably took one look at it and tore it to pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Glen:

I respectfully take exception to your statement:

"New coils do not come from the manufacturer pre- adjusted. It is up to the seller or customer to do the adjusting."

We have sold a couple thousand coils to date and we have always supplied them correctly adjusted and ready to run. In fact we strongly urge the customer not to tinker with them since they are ready to go. When we first started making coils we did in fact use an HCCT but then switched to using our own strobo-spark which has been in use for the majority of the coils we have made.

Mac's does not carry our coils but I have to laugh since they do carry our coil clock which is what was probably on display. Yes we do set the points with correct point action on those clocks. Don't buy it to convert to a regular T coil since there is no winding inside :-) Also - the T coil clock was NOT setup using our strobo-spark :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:06 am:

I would say that Mac's is a fairly maligned vendor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:31 am:

For what it is worth I have 13 Fun Projects coils. 12 in running cars and 1 spare coil in case one of the others failed. Early on I moved the spare to whatever car I was driving. I have never had to adjust any of them and have no idea where the 13th coil is now. The upside to this is that when I convert my 4th running T back to original coils I will only need to spend some time to find where I have put the spare coil. It is in a white unopened box somewhere in my shop. Then I will only need to buy 3 more coils from Fun Projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 07:27 am:

Paul,

Your post of 12:06 could be taken two ways. I'm not sure which way it was intended, but the way I chose to take it is amusing to me.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT J STEINER on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 07:42 am:

They are probably getting rid of the old unwanted reproduction stock that was made years ago. good or bad. Don't see anything different than what Dennis Carpenter Industries does. They sell their bad / rejects China reproductions to their customers instead of throwing them out to the trash pile..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 08:03 am:

Last thread on Mac's was deleted ("use at your own risk") - wonder how long it will take for this one to disappear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 08:08 am:

One wonders why this situation developed in the first place. I can almost understand it now that their probably a small lower sales part of a larger company as in "who cares?" But it,s been going on for years. Somebody up top didn't give a darn and it infected everyone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 08:21 am:

They do take out a full page ad in Vintage Ford. Maybe that's why it disappears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 09:11 am:

John Regan, I had to laugh when you said you make the coil clocks. No wonder the points work so nicely on them. Sorry I got my post mixed up when I said the case was poorly made. That would be the functioning coils that are made by someone else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Robert, I know Dennis Carpenter personally. I supplied him with 56 Ford Parking Light Housings that he used to reproduce them. This was one of the few things that he had made in China for the simple fact that if they had done them in the US, the cost would have been so great he would have found few buyers. I have a pair of NOS 56 Ford Parking Housings and a pair of his reproductions. The only basic difference is the Chrome on the reproduction is much better. He tries to have everything that he possible can made in the USA, which he makes a lot himself. His cost on making some of the parts is more then his competition is selling their foreign made parts. Dennis himself has a sterling reputation. If you ever bought anything from him and had a problem with it, you can be sure he would take care of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 09:26 am:

The trouble with Macs, is they cover too many bases. I think it is 09-72? I'd rather deal with someone who deals strictly in T parts, with Snyders being the exception.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 09:32 am:

This thread has been a wealth of information concerning coils. Having been away from the hobby for 40 years, I need all of the help available. I am disappointed that Mac's sent me sub standard coils but am happy with the outcome of the return given the time elapsed. I try to spread my purchases around so all vendors benefit. I really like Mac's 15% off sales. In 2013 I bought a radiator from them. All of the vendors I checked were selling for 650.00 or more but with Mac's discount I paid 552.00 That's a heck of a savings and the radiator works fine. I will continue to buy from Mac's as the need arises but not exclusively. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Dennis Carpenter also owns a Model T, few Ford V8 people know this. To bad he is not making T parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 10:22 am:

I've bought some really nice Cushman Scooter Reproduction parts from Dennis Carpenter. The quality was excellent!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:08 pm:

Dan B wrote:

"They do take out a full page ad in Vintage Ford. Maybe that's why it disappears."

Unfortunately, I too believe that is the case. There are those who would like to silence anyone giving a negative review of any vendor who pays for advertising. A reputation is something that is earned. You should not be able to 'buy' your way out of it if you have earned a bad one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

You know Hal I wouldn't want to think that's true but considering that the magazine probably needs every dime it gets it's not beyond belief. One would hope instead, that if the criticism is true, that it might make a difference in the service provided. It hasn't in the past but........ I have to assume that the bad sales are few but quite vocal. Not enough for them to make changes. Can't be massive or they'd have gone years ago + the company was just bought out so it looked good to some one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

This thread has drifted slightly to some comments about Dennis Carpenter's parts. Yes, they do sell the flawed parts, mostly at swap meets, and admit they are flawed and marked as such, but much cheaper for those who can use "seconds". Being CHEAP!, I have purchased some of them, especially for use on a "driver" car.
I don't mind this method of "recycling" and his recouping his investment in materials/production. One of the best buys has been steering wheels with flaws in the molding, which are oftentimes minor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 02:39 pm:

Some individuals who deal with Dennis are straight and above reproach. Let's say that this individual purchases flawed parts and as David says recycle them because like many is penny conscious. Now David goes ahead installs the parts on his ride and after a couple of years sells the car. Along with the sale he casually mentions that he has some Dennis Carpenter parts
slightly flawed. The new buyer could care less
what was installed, he wanted the car. Lets say the new owner falls out of love with his ride and sells it as is, Knowing full Well it has some flawed parts, but are such parts that do not make
the vehicle unsafe to drive. So he sells the car
to another buyer who after buying it, goes over the car with a fine toothed comb and noting all the flawed parts. This is not a problem for David since he informed the buyer about the flawed parts
and most likely pointed them out. It's those last two new owners who thinks bad things about Dennis Carpenter. I have used flawed parts and when selling a car, pointed them out, but I often had the original parts on hand to pass on, if they wanted them. Most did not. I trust those on the site enough to know they would not intentionaly steer me off the path, and if I needed a Dennis Carpenter part, I would purchase it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Some individuals who deal with Dennis are straight and above reproach and satisfied with Dennis' parts and have no complaints.
Let's say that an individual purchases flawed parts and as David says recycle them because like many is penny conscious. Now David goes ahead installs the parts on his ride and after a couple of years sells the car. Along with the sale he casually mentions that he has some Dennis Carpenter parts that are slightly flawed. The new buyer could care less what was installed, he wanted the car. Lets say the new owner falls out of love with his ride and sells it as is, Knowing full Well it has some flawed parts, but are such parts that do not make the vehicle unsafe to drive. So he sells the car to another buyer who after buying it, goes over the car with a fine toothed comb and noting all the flawed parts. This is not a problem for David since he informed the buyer about the flawed parts and most likely pointed them out. It's the last owner who thinks bad things about Dennis Carpenter. I have used flawed parts and when selling a car, pointed them out, but I often had the original parts on hand to pass on, if they wanted them. Most did not. I trust those on this site enough to know they would not intentionaly steer me off the path, and if I needed a Dennis Carpenter part, I would purchase it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration