Thread Drift

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Thread Drift
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

I thought with some of the helpful discussions lately that we might discuss Thread Drift. I have never seen an original Ford script one but imagine this is what it would look like. I doubt that I would use one but suppose every one has an opinion.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

I'm waiting for the first question asking how it works....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

Way cool! :-)

I'll add that to my collection of tools. It will go good with the Digital Pipe Wrench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:29 pm:

We will see Chuck. I like that wrench Ken. Precision Plumbing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

How does it work? Oh. Never mind. I looked it up. It's a threading die for progressive step hole drills used to make bung holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

A buddy of mine has an electric claw hammer.

Fortunately it runs on 110...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

I have George Washingtons ax. The handle has been replaced three times and the head twice.
gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Richard, what's the story of the smiley face?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 08:41 pm:

Gee, I thought we were about to be chastised for letting threads drift off topic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

I hope you know I am just having a little fun. One of my character flaws is to get a painful little twinge when I think I am being corrected. In actuality it is usually from someone trying to be helpful. Another flaw is sarcasm. I'm sure some folks get the same kind of twinge when they see a misspelled word, grammatical error or other problem. Yet others are offended by silly humor. This Forum is such a great place and I hope we can all adjust to each others points of view and quirks.

Have a nice day.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

If you misplace your thread drift, just use a pipe tap. it might even work better. Eugene's last name certainly seems appropriate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:03 am:

I would be interested in borrowing the digital pipe wrench for a project, but it is an English pipe wrench and I have metric pipes.

You Britts from England can't use it because it will not fit your Whitworth pipes either

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for any sort of factory drawings to make the little known two and a half way lowering shackle:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 01:38 am:

Rich,
You done it! I thought for sure I'd read about how we shouldn't drift the thread, and then when I opened the thread, I thought--that's gotta be one of Rich's paintings! Got me! And of course, you still show great attention to detail--it's not a new tool, it has the mushrooming on the end of a used drift!
You the man!!
I also Like Ken's pipe wrench.
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 06:07 am:

Richard, a brilliant piece of engineering, and it appears that you only used a brush to do it.

Looks to me a much more valuable device than the Round Tuit that I haven't got yet.

Dane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Rich,

Are you a member of the Sarcasm Foundation ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Come on guys, let's keep this thread on topic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:14 am:

I like Round Tuit's. Reminds me of the sloppy hand written sign my brother had on his desk: "Charter member of the Procrastinator's Association....Someday I'll have to make a better sign".
Neither of us got around to joining the Sarcasm Foundation. Yeah, like that would ever happen.

It also occurred to me that you can tap on a drift but not a tap. Go Figure.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:42 am:

My children used to ask:'"Why do brown cows that eat green grass give white milk?"

As I age and folks tell me to eat "proper foods", this was brought to my attention:

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Food drift?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Chocolate is good for you. It prevents cancer.

That's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Dave,

"Why do brown cows that eat green grass give white milk?"

Along those same lines, I believe an appropriate question is, if an asp in the grass is a snake, why is a grasp in the ass a goose?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:44 pm:

Ken, Your pipe wrench picture makes me feel much better!
Not the wrench but the mess of parts around it.
Just like home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

Screw the drift into a bushing. Then put a punch inside the bushing and hit the part of the drift inside the bushing. This will remove the bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Is there a punch line to this joke.

Do you get my drift?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 03:01 am:

The one I could never figure out is the left-handed monkey wrench! That's a tool that doesn't look a darn bit different to me than the monkey wrenches that right-handed monkeys use!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 04:29 am:

Harold,
Actually, there can be such a thing. The threads on the adjuster are reverse of the normal, so us Lefties can get really confused after spending a lifetime adapting to all the right-handed stuff! (Like scissors--I actually have a left handed set of them, but I'm so used to right handed ones, I don't find the left handed one all that easy to use!)
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:37 am:

Just don't run with any scissors, whether left handed or right handed! We'd miss you on the forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tex Holtby on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:57 am:

Richard - I admire your artwork! Nice touch with the "smiley" knot!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:10 am:

Punch lines always were difficult for my Grandmother. She was famous for:
"What kind of tool would you use if the monkeys escaped from the zoo?"
Her answer was invariably "A screw driver". And then a blank look if nobody laughed.

Harold, I have amended the phrase to "Don't run with the good scissors." Somehow that pleases me.

I now recall using an old tap to remove spindle bushings as Fred W. mentioned. However finding a use for the "thread drift" might degrade any humor.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:53 am:

Anyone know the difference between geesed and goosed ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

In the 60's my Dad would ask the sales people in Sears for the Paper Bag Stretchers or the watermelon holders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:29 pm:

Well, it was told to me by several people over the years I was working for Dot that a fellow was hired to work on the paving crew and on his second day they ran out of asphalt with only about 3 foot to go. The supervisor,not thinking the ding bat would take him serious, told the new guy to go to the maintenance yard and pickup the road stretcher. The guy said "Yes sir" and went straight to a truck and took off back to the yard. No 2 way radio in the truck so everyone was just standing there with no way at that time to get up with the fellow.A hour later, the supervisor's radio speaker was rattling, "Sir, no one here can tell me what the road stretcher is,can you tell me what it looks like?". The guy was on the radio in the maintenance office trying find out where it was! a ROAD stretcher? How dumb can you get to believe such a thing exist.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Being a Journeyman welder, we always picked on the apprentices. We would send them to shake the kinks out of the welding leads, so the electric would flow" better. we would send them climbing down 12 floors of ladders and stairs to turn the welding machine up 2 amps. (a totally useless amount to turn it up) ect ect. So one day another group of welders sent their apprentice to get a jar of "miracle weld" from the tool trailer. There is no such product. Now this was a very sharp apprentice, not the average run of the mill apprentice. So he took off to go get it. Seems he was dating the secretary in the office. It was near lunch time so he went to visit her. During lunch time she made and printed out a very impressive label for "Miracle Weld" it had good instructions, a nice logo, and even a bar code. He took the label and put it on a jar with some powdered "flux" in it. So after lunch when he came back to work he presented the "old hands" with the "miracle weld jar" You should have seen their faces. He even told them there were 2 types, one powdered and one liquid and hoped this was the right one. If not he would go get the other one .. It took awhile for it to sink into them as he "played" with the "old guys" very well. It may not seem that funny telling it now, but it was one of those moments in life, that I will never forget...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

Donnie,

Were you that apprentice?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 03:30 pm:

Sounds like when we used to send the new guy at the airport out to plug in the windsock. After that he'd have to either get a bucket of Prop Wash or about fifty yards of Flight Line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

Or send the new recruit down to the boiler room for a B. T. punch... (ouch!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Donnie,
Three posts later & I'm still chuckling!!
That's a saver!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Byrne - Racine, MN on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:14 pm:

Here is that Round Tuit you guys were looking for:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

I had a left handed monkey wrench but it was metric so I sold it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:26 pm:

Just reading this post tells me what makes this Forum so active, entertaining and informative. Unbeatable. Hope it never changes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Maybe when Spring arrives we will have more Model T talk. For right now the stories and word game will have to entertain us. Norm Crosby, George Carlin and even Lenny Bruce enjoyed the use and miss-use of words. So do I but then it may be parsley to my defecating sense of humor.

:?} Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Dave, I was not that apprentice. But it does sound like something I would do. I was very lucky as an apprentice. My dad and an uncle were Boilermakers most of their adult working lives. I grew up around all the stories. They both retired as Journeymen Boilermakers, and most of the friends of theirs were other Boilermakers. . So when I came along as the new apprentice, most of the guys left me alone. Either out of respect for my dad and uncles years at the trade or just because most of the stuff did not work on me... And I would do "high work" The guys who do not like working on "high work" will not bother the "high workers" in any way. Because they do not want to go up there themselves. We were working on a stack at Redfield Arkansas and had some work needing finished up about half way up the stack. We had a new apprentice who had been with us about a week and he seemed to be a good worker. So my rigging buddy and myself asked if he wanted to go up with us. He said yes, so away we went. About 100 feet off the ground I noticed the new guy was turning pale. So I asked if he wanted to go back down. He said "no, he could make it" About 200 foot up he had a "death grip on the scaffolds hand rail. about 400 foot up he was sitting on the floor of the scaffold. So we stopped and decide to take him back down. When we started back down he said No go on up "I said Ill be OK". So we headed back up. We were working at the 625 foot level of the stack. The scaffold was blowing around in the wind and banging into the stack. So our new guy just sat on the floor and put his head down. We only had about 15 to 20 minutes work, but when two grown men are walking back and forth on a 20 foot long swinging scaffold, and doing hard, heavy, work, the ride is like a carnival ride. So we finally finished up and headed back down. As soon as we touched down the new guy, jumped out, did not say a word, he went straight to the office and quit. The office staff told us later that as he was leaving he was saying, he was going back to the hog farm he worked at before becoming a Boilermaker apprentice, because there is not a "damn" place on that farm over 8 foot off the ground ... We lost a lot of good workers that way ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

My brother worked QC for a mfr. of high end exercise and cardio equipment.
Lots of tube bending and the welding of frames. He liked to tell the greenhorns
to go up to supply and get another bunk of fallopian tubes. It never failed to have
half the shop buckled over laughing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:35 am:

New Guy initiation.
My first "real" job (after graduating from college) was in Corning's Process Research Center where they had a very large tank of high viscosity oil (thicker than STP) that simulated glass flow in the forhearth of a glass melting tank.
If you touched the oil it would stick to your hand like flypaper and when you finally pulled your hand free the oil would leave long strings.
The best part was that the stuff was almost impossible to remove from your hand.

One of the tricks they played on new people during introductions was to surreptitiously coat there own hand with lanolin to stop the sticking and pat the oil.
The oil would bounce a bit like extra thick Jello or a balloon filled with water.
Then they would encourage the newbie to pat the oil.

There was a "legend" that one newbie was stuck on the oil for a few hours before someone helped him.

I had been warned about the oil trick so I coated my hand before the tour.
I almost didn't because I was not sure if I was being "set-up"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marvin Konrad on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:56 am:

In Basic Training at Ft. Leonardwood, it was inevitable that someone would be sent to HQ to request their 'masturbation papers'... My artillery company had guys asking for 'The Cannon Report'. The XO would go to his desk, write on a sheet of paper, fold it in half, and send the troop back to his platoon. What did the XO write??? "BOOM!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 02:26 am:

Back to the thread drift, I found this wonderful precision C-clamp the other day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 03:49 am:

John, you jest, but years ago a neighbor (in our old neighborhood) had a yard sale, and sold me this small "C-clamp" for a few bucks. Looked just like yours! I carry it in my piano toolcase to measure piano wire! (I have other "c-clamps" for the shop work, Starrett, Browne & Sharp, etc.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 04:40 am:

That's great John. You can never have too many Sea Clamps.

David, I hadn't realized you played the piano.

Always learning more hear.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Rich,
Wouldn't say I play, but I do fix 'em and tune 'em!
I took my tuning hammer with me on a fishing trip 'cause the guy said we were going to catch Tun-a-fish! :-)
But if a good Norwegian boy tells you he's gonna treat you to some LuteFisk--RUN the other way!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam "POPS" Humphries...... Lexington, KY on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Saw many newbys going to the warehouse for a gallon of dial tone and drop wire streachers at the phone company

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Your not going to try some LuteFisk just for the Halibut?

Always nice to hear from you.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 12:06 am:

LOL! No, it Smelt too bad. . . :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration