Steering gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Steering gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

This is a repost of an accidental post to the classified.

I bought a Fox fatman steering wheel and on first fit I see it would work better if the key in the steering shaft were relocated so when the wheels are pointing straight ahead the steering wheel would pivot up. I looked at the procedure in the Ford Service manual to open the steering gear case and reposition the key way and it doesn't look that difficult. Am I mistaken?

Thanks,
Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

There shouldn't be anything that stops you from positioning the keyway anywhere you like when you screw off the steering gear cover. The gears may need some new grease in there too. Remember to replace the small screw that locks the cover in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Thanks! That's what it appeared to be reading the instructions. Wanted to make sure there wasn't some surprise to drop out and be impossible to get back when I open things up.

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:14 am:

It all went well. I wiped off most of the old grease and packed in new. After figuring out how to re-insert the center gear everything went back together well with the key way where it needs to be.
Thanks again,
Ron

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration