Fold Over Welting question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fold Over Welting question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

Is that the right welting for the 26 coupes?
And how does it go on

Thank you ..Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:20 am:

I assume you are referring to hide 'em welt. It is available from most of the vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Here's a discussion on Ford barn about hidem welt installation:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104985

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 10:37 am:

Fold over welting is different than Hide 'em welting. Try this link:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/282769.html?1334932626

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

To the best of my knowledge, Fold-over welt was what ford used around the tops of the closed cars. Hide'em was also used, but mostly on the seat upholstery areas. I believe the fold-over was used, as it would keep water out better than the hide'em.
I assume there is documentation somewhere????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

Here is a picture that Dave S. posted some time ago. The fold over welting and Visor would be the original. While this is for the earlier Closed Cars it would appear that it carried through to the later Coupes and Sedans.

Best regards, John Page Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 05:36 pm:

Also, the rain gutter nail cover strips are longer than the gutter, so as to cover the ends of the fold-over. The Hide'em wouldn't work with them, another vote in favor of fold-over. Now to get the top kit folks to supply the kits with fold over instead of Hide'em like they do now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Ok thank you all for input,...now how do i nail it ?.. on the top where the uncovered area the -[small arrow ] or in the lower where the welt area Thanks Again ..Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Lorenzo,
Believe it or not, halfway between your arrows! You have to be able to fold it over, and nails too high will prevent that. Too low, and they won't be covered by the fold over part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:31 am:

Lorenzo,
Believe it or not, halfway between your arrows! You have to be able to fold it over, and nails too high will prevent that. Too low, and they won't be covered by the fold over part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 03:27 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Thank you , do i use any glue in back of it ,or silicone seal ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Lorenzo,
Originally, no, but some folks do, especially if they are doing a lot of foul weather driving, not glue but a sealer. 3-M makes some clear automotive seam sealers that would be good for this, and they have a fairly long working time. It's been too long since I used any to make a specific recommendation, sorry!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration