New to the forum? Lurking?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New to the forum? Lurking?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:10 am:

I know there are folks who only read the forum, and don't post for varying reasons. Sometimes one of those reasons is that they think they have to be MTFCA members to participate. No, no, no. There's no such requirement. Forum registration is open to everybody. Some of our regulars have never joined up because they're on a tight budget, or for other reasons. Most of us are MTFCA members, but it's not a requirement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Also, to further promote Steve's message, if for some reason you're reluctant to post your name and/or location, fine. Use a pseudonym. What's valuable is your participation!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Dang I have enough trouble writin' normal stuff, now Henry goes and posts a big long word!!
:-)
For those lurking, note that this bunch tolerates a lot of foolishness too! They let me hang around!
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

One big thing is that if you include a photo besure that you have a tape measure on your shirt or overalls like Steve !!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 04:53 pm:

Posters who use a pseudonym, or who don't post or reveal their city and state have been addressed here before. I don't ever remember a forum survey revealing whether forum users like or dislike the practice, but now might be a good time to take a survey. I have nothing to hide or fear, so I don't have a problem posting mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

Didn't we just do that a month or so ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwayne Durand on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

I'm a lurker. Shoot, I don't even own a T. I have a '25 steering wheel and one hub cap but that's it. I started reading the forum when I was building a bed for my grandson and was looking for ideas on the design.

I found myself enjoying the depth of knowledge among the posters here. Somebody will ask a question about a cotter pin for a 1925 and someone else will chime in and say the right cotter pin is 3/32" longer and that they are using one from a '19. Someone else will reply with something about the '19 being a one year only deal with the cotter pin if the T was built between the 3d of June and the 12th of October except for Tuesdays when the shorter pin applies. It's not a real example but you get the idea.

I don't know if I'll ever get a T or not. Right now the grandson insists anyone visiting to crawl under his Model T Ford bed with a handful of plastic wrenches and do some repairs. That'll have to do for now.

In the meanwhile I'll just lurk and enjoy reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

Congratulations, Dwayne! You have summed up the forum in a single post. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Dwayne, why don't you show us a picture of the bed. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwayne Durand on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

It looks like this Joseph.

Tbed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

The location business popped up a while ago. Some went for it others not. Doesn't matter a bit to me personally. Your choice and not a requirement. Like the bed by the way Dwayne.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

That is a really cool bed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

I'm a lurker. Proud owner of an early 26 coupe that I purchased last fall. Needs to be gone through and refreshed. Seems to be all there but the engine is apart. I plan on pulling off the body. Going to start with a bare frame, paint and renew as I go. Find myself looking at this forum daily. Have learned much by just being here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Dwayne, That is one heck of a nice bed. Your Grandson is a lucky lad! Imagine the fun you and he would have working on a real T someday.

Dave, Good luck with your '26 coupe restoration project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

Mike, as I mentioned in my post, I think the subject of pseudonyms and addresses had been previously discussed on the Forum. I just don't read every post (or remember everyone).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

Welcome Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:18 am:

Dwayne,
That is an incredible bed! OK with that kind of talent, you can definitely do a T! You've got the steering wheel, some of us started with less than that! :-) Regardless, hang around here, the more the merrier!
--hey, someone near Dwayne needs to give his son and he a ride in their T!
Common joke, "I found these running board step plates at the swap meet. Now to find a car to put them on!"
Dave, welcome "home" you'll find us here a lot--how about some pics of your project?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 03:33 am:

Dwayne & Dave - You guys called yourselves "lurkers"! Well, guess what? You are not "lurkers" anymore! Welcome to the "affliction"!

Dave - Quite a project you're undertaking! Glad you bought the '26 coupe last Fall. I have a suggestion though. You need to pick up another one to drive while you're rebuilding the '26 coupe. It's common to hit a temporary snag or two in a major rebuild project, and a "T" to drive during that time is a great "moral builder"! And besides that, if you need any more than that to justify a 2nd Model T, how about this:

Did you take lots of pictures as you disassembled the '26 coupe? No? Well then! You need that second Model "T" to go out and look at now and then to be sure you're putting the coupe together correctly! (All Model "T's are basically mechanically the same you know)

And Dwayne, we all hope that lucky grandson of yours with the cool Model "T" bed just "bugs" the heck out of you until "G'pa" buys a REAL Model "T"!

Welcome to the forum you guys,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 03:39 am:

Hey Dwayne, that left rear wheel only has 11 spokes! I doubt that a grandson small enough to sleep in that "little guys bed" is big enough to kick a spoke out of that wheel,....daddy must have done it while putting the little guy to bed!

Yeah,...us "forum guys" look those Model "T" photos over pretty close!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:43 am:

I'm a lurker, I too enjoy the minutia that you guys discuss, and some of the rants and raves. I don't own a T, but let's see; due to owning a '10 Hupp I have: a stack of T wheels, a T hub that had been used as a repair on my Hupp along with a new hubcap for same, and last but not least, some of the innards of the rear end on the Hupp are T. When the spider gears decided to reduce themselves to shavings in the original rear end, a set of T gears, with very minor adjustments, fit right in! Hupp had to be getting them from the same place as Henry in 1910!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 02:06 pm:

Dwayne,

I have a '15 frame that has been sandblasted and painted if you want to start collecting parts.
I am not sure where your located in NYS, but I am about 85 miles north of Syracuse. You want the fame you are welcome to it

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Wow Dwayne........a Model T bed in John Deere colors! Doesn't get much better than that. Very nice work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:20 pm:

Thanks for the welcome here. The T is still where I purchased it. Had been pestering a friend that's had it in his family for a long time. Called me one day saying he needed to come up with money. Went and looked at it with a car guy that I know. Was told that it would be a great project for me and in too good of condition to pass up. Plan is to add on to my barn at my rural get-a-way and take it there. Want to keep as stock as possible with the few upgrades (axle oil seals, and other items) that will allow me to drive this on country roads. Have built a few vintage British motorcycles and fixed up a 48 Ford 8N to use around my "compound". Want a driver, not a show car. Find it to be a fun hobby to make things operate that haven't in a while. I'm 55 and own enough things to keep me busy for years. This project interests the heck out of me and I want to do it right. Sure that I'll have many questions, but believe it or not between the couple of magazines from my MTFCA membership and lurking here I've learned quite a bit already. Thanks again, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leck - Ohio on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Registered lurker and recent T owner here…have to be careful, gunna have to use two hands to count my posts soon.

Steve Jelf, I was wondering if the forum rules had changed due to a recent post referencing about MTFCA membership requirements to participate in the Forum. And of course there was the survey…glad things stayed as they were. Thanks for the clarification.

Recently I’ve been thinking what torture it would be if Forum participation was required for membership! There is a lot of good information here, but man alive, there are some real crabs ready to jump on anyone’s case for such trivial gain. I appreciate those that are genuinely helpful and offer thought provoking discussion, on or off topic. Even the light humor and sarcasm is fun. However, I'm seriously considering just getting the Vintage Ford CDs for reading material, relying on the good books out there for technical reference, joining the local chapter for camaraderie and forgetting the Forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

John, let me be the first here to welcome you to the forum. There are a lot of great people here with tons of great information and vast experience with T's, hope you stick it out, the more the merrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

John - let me the second. For every snide crab on here there are 5 good guys who will go out of their way to help when you need it and can address issues not even scratched on the CDs. CDs are crab free, but they cannot interact for follow-up questions. Ignore the crabs and those out for trivial gain - I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 02:19 am:

John,
'sides which, some of really like crab feeds! MMMMM. . .
Oh wait, I immediately thought of food. . . . .
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Crabs? Try Buddies in Annapolis. As to our "outspoken guys? That's entertainment! Sure never stopped me. Hell, on occasion I'm one of 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 11:05 am:

It is nice to hear from new folks and I am glad Steve pointed out you don't have to be a member. Each person's circumstance and point of view may be different. I thought our local (not T) car club was among the most friendly and welcoming clubs until I overheard some conversation of how clickish and unfriendly we were. Their impressions are interesting. I had not thought of snipe crab but certainly have noticed different traits among us. The variety of personality adds fun maybe a little like the smell of gasoline on your fingers at breakfast while on a tour.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwayne Durand on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 05:27 pm:

Thank you for the generous offer Mr. Nichols. I mentioned it to the Mrs at supper and she got her eye exercise for the day. You may be familiar with the notorious 'eye roll'. Then I mentioned you were in the North Country and I got the more pleasant 'lifted eyebrow'. She does have two of them by the way but only lifts one when she's interested in something I have to say. She lived in Harrisville as a child and we used to pass that way taking my daughter to SUNY-Potsdam.

She and I will chat a bit more on the subject and we may just have to take a road trip to the North Country this summer. I'll be in touch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H. Nichols on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:45 pm:

Dwayne,

You can always reach me at 1-315-1934-2148

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration