Springs on Speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Springs on Speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

I'm in the process of making a Rootlieb type speedster. should I remove a leaf or two from front and rear springs before I install them? Not lowered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 06:24 pm:

Hal, I did, and then replaced them! Two out of the rear let it bounce around to much. Two out of the front let it settle too low.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

Hal, I studied about this question when I was setting up the chassis on my speedster project Im working on. The general concsencius was to leave the front spring as-is, because the front weight on a speedster is about the same as a stock car. Then the rear spring suggestions were to only remove one leaf from a roadster rear spring set, (I do not remember how many a stock roadster spring has). I have not driven mine yet so I can not give a first hand opinion if I did it right or not. But that was what most of the suggestions were to use. good luck with the project. and remember picture, pictures, pictures, No pictures means it really did not happen ... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Thank's gents!!! I think I'll 'use m all'. Here's my start...still a long way to go. Since this pic, I have the engine mounted with new blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Just check when and if you remove any, that the u bolts still clamp the spring tight in the frame rail, I had to space a back spring with a short top leaf to clamp it all up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Thank's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:11 am:

We have built several speedsters here. I leave the front spring as is and remove two or three leaves from the rear as the car is so much lighter than stock. Actually, I don't remove them completely, I cut the outer part off and leave the center part in so the spring clamp will secure it in the frame properly. Do this and install shock absorbers and your car will ride much nicer.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:32 am:

Thank's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:44 am:

I haven't read the other replies. However, from experience, the answer to your question is: "No".

I had bottoming out problems and almost got in a serious accident due to excessive rear end hop while braking heavily. I put everything back to standard, and later installed friction shocks, and it now handles like a champ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Rear springs had 8 leafs on most T's. 1922-27 sedans and 1925 pick ups had 9 leafs while some light 1923-25 runabouts had a 6 leaf spring.
I took the top leaf off so I have only 7 leafs on my light open pick up and it works fine and the clamps can be tightened - ok, it could benefit from shocks, but it's mostly the stock 7 leaf front spring that occasionally gets the bounce on bad asphalt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

I have a '21 Runabout which started life as an aftermarket-bodied Delivery vehicle put onto a bare chassis. The chassis came with a 9-leaf rear spring. When I restored it, I disassembled the spring and had the leaves powder-coated, then coated their sliding surfaces with graphite spray. I was afraid it might be a stiff ride after I changed to the lightweight Runabout body, but it is not.

I think the "secret" to having a good smooth ride is the treatment of the leaves, rather than the number. Powder coating is very slippery, and the graphite makes them even more so.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration