Can I fix wobbling wheels "At Home"..?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Can I fix wobbling wheels "At Home"..?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

I Know it's still not warm outside, but I for one want to take advantage of this year’s driving season/weather after the long cold and wintery winter.. I'm going thru her now.. but I remembered a fellow at the end of last year telling me that on a tour. He notice my back wheels wobbling. And I did remember feeling the car shaking from side to side a bit .. I had checked the rear bearing at the beginning of last year’s season, took them out.. they looked ok, so I removed all the old grease on the bearing and inside the shaft, re-greased them and I also installed new inner and outer felts. So Here's

where my question starts:

Is there a way to smooth the rims/tires out a bit without sending them off.. if I removed the wheels can I bag on the high points of the rims or well I do more damage, well I see the high points?. , any input will help..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 06:42 pm:

People will need a little more info. Wood or wire? Clincher of dismountable? If they are wire;

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163274

If wood dismountable; could be any number of things. Spokes loose at hub, at fellow or rim not on straight or bent. Tire could be not square to rim. Bent rim. etc
Wood or wire;
Jack the car up and spin the wheel or turn it and look at it. Mount a piece of chalk on a stand, start at the center of each wheel, turn the wheel so it leaves a chalk line and see how much out they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

If it's a demountable, it could also be your not having the lug nuts drawn up enough to true out the tire. My rims have a ridge round the inside of the rim that I tighten the lugs to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

It could be the problem isn't in the wheels. Since the problem is on the back, you'll first need to determine whether the axles are bent or straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

And while you're investigating wheels and axles, there's also this annoying little glitch to check out: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RVB on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Mine's are wood, 30" i'm going to check how tight the lug nuts are.. I thought there tight.. i'll also lift the back up and see if the spindles are out of alignment.. sure hope they aren't..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:12 am:

RVB...if you are lucky enough to have a rear wheel that you know is straight, either from another car of your own, or a friends, you might want to try a swap and do the check with the wheel jacked up off the floor. If it still wobbles, like my '15 did, then you have a bent axle. I replaced both my axles even though only one was actually bent, and now it's smooth as can be, no wobble. Just a thought. Process of elimination!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration