Old Photo - West Virgina University High Street

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - West Virgina University High Street
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

A lot of the buildings are still there.

The top is gone off the one on the right but seems to be the same location.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

I like the unimproved version the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 09, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

Chuck, get with the program ! America is hellbent on boiling itself down into
a sterile and characterless lump of blah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:57 am:

I am not sure? I think the touring in the front (your left) corner of the photo is a Willys Knight.
Sometimes I wish I could just crawl into these photos and stay there.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 03:58 am:

Jay - Where the heck do ya' get 'em all? I love all the old photos you post, but my favorites are the old street scenes like this one, small town or big city, either one!

And Ken, thanks for the "modern day photo" from exactly the same spot! Nice work! One of my favorite things on the forum is to be able to compare "before and after" photos!

I think the most notable thing in comparing these two is the lack of the cone shaped shingled roof on that turret on the corner building. And I'm not a bit surprised! Can you imagine a roofer re-roofing the original roof on that turret? Gives me "weak knees" just thinking about it!

And you're right Ken,......not only surprising how little the scene has changed, but how little change there has been to those two big buildings in all those years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 04:10 am:

Burger - You're absolutely right! We think anything 100 years old is old, but not really. My Son and I took a trip to England a couple years ago, to visit relatives on my Mom's side, and of course we did the "tourist things" too. But a trip like that just makes one realize that we really don't have anything that's very old, and what we do have, we don't seem to value very much. My great aunt, until she passed away just a couple years ago, still lived in a row house that was over five hundred years old! And there are lots of buildings over there that are much older than that,....and they just treasure them and take good care of them. Seems like that'll never happen here! We just "tear down" and build strip malls and housing developments with cookie cutter houses that are five or ten feet apart, and the "city fathers" don't care if neighborhoods look like an army camp,....in fact they think it's great because the more houses, the more property tax income, right?

Oops,....didn't mean to do the "soap box" thing and clutter up this great thread,......sorry,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:56 am:

I agree with Chuck & Harold, I like the old better, maybe that's why I'm a T guy. Wayne have you ever seen a 1952 Willys Aero Wing, it got 35 mpg!! I did an appraisal (Antique & Classic Automobile Appraisals of New Hampshire) on one just last month. Never saw one before, it was a great survivor. They say American auto manufacturers never made economy vehicles, they did (Nash Cosmopolitan) they just never sold.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:00 am:

I heard once that the difference between Yanks and Brits is that a Yank thinks 100 years is a long time, while a Brit thinks 100 miles is a long way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:01 am:

Jay, I love these pictures that you post and the "same scene, today" pics posted. I don't know where you find them, but keep them coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Ken,

I don't see your '14 or your '25, but that sure looks like my TT holding up traffic (as usual) coming down High Street!

I spent four years there in aerospace engineering school, so that must be my TT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J Marino on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:48 am:

We used to go to movies here. Does not look open now?

h

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

I remember seeing Planet of the Apes at that movie theater in the late 60's. I had to leave the movie early to walk my date back to the dorm by 10pm! Those were the rules back then at WVU. A very conservative school then, but not now. Found out later that I missed the best part of the movie! I didn't fare any better with my date either!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Gilbert, as I am both, I agree....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Tony,

That must be what happened to the top of the turret. They launched it!

Ken P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:05 pm:

Warren H, I have seen a Willys Arrow before. Don't know if it was a "Wing" or not. I am not that familiar with many cars built after 1929.
As for the how old is old thing? Ask the Greeks, Egyptians, or others from the middle East (or parts of the Orient). I used to know a Palestinian who was born in Israel (a fine man). He showed me a travel poster that showed a very old part of town and pointed to his families' home. He said the building was 2000 years old and was quite proud of the fact that some of his family still lived there.

Gilbert, I have heard that English/American 100 years/100 miles thing before. Maybe, with the strong Cornish heritage around Grass Valley, that explains something about the people around here. I often hear people around here complaining about having to go "clear across town" to go to some market or place. "Clear across town" in this town is five miles. I grew up in San Jose CA. There, when you said "clear across town", you meant thirty miles or more. Each way.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration