In Need of Junk Axles and Wheels for Tevye's Cart

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: In Need of Junk Axles and Wheels for Tevye's Cart
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:44 am:

The Fife HS (Washington State - near Tacoma) drama teacher and I have worked on the music for his annual musical since 2008. He is looking ahead at doing "Fiddler on the Roof" for the spring of 2016 and, since I drive a Model T, he asked me today if I knew where he could find some wheels for Tevye's cart. Unfortunately, I only own one T and it is an improved car, so I don't have a lot of spare parts, let alone the larger 30" wheels. What I did replace, I gave away to a friend who needed an axle for a Ford Quadricycle that he is building from scratch.

I said that there are probably several Model T owners who have collected parts over the years that have some 30" wooden wheels that probably shouldn't be driven on. The wheels would also need some rear axles that would have to be cut and welded together to fit a smaller cart. He is willing to pay for the parts as long as they aren't too expensive. He is also open to any better ideas. I thought I would start here and get the creative juices flowing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 04:26 am:

Since it's just a play, look for a wood-spoked wheel tea cart.
Making props can be fun. For The Music Man, I made an upright player piano (used in a few scenes) Made some measurements of the side of my piano, scrounged an electronic keyboard for the keys, then made a box out of lumber & plywood that resembled a piano and held the keyboard (Amaryllis had to "play" it during Marion's piano lesson). I took a picture of my player piano roll box with a roll in it and glued it to the front of the piano--voila, player piano that was easy to roll around and didn't take up as much space as a real piano--and by turning it around, the back became Mariann's library desk.
The only thing really missing were the player pedals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:40 pm:

Parts bad enough to never need for a model T but good enough for a cart should be easy to get. If you were about 400 miles closer to me, I could help out.
A couple things to consider. If you weld two outer ends of axles together? Be careful how you put the wheels onto the axles. NO axle keys. You need to be able to turn the cart smoothly on stage. A little judicious filing (or filling?) of the keyways in the axles would also be a good idea. Either file the edges on the axle keyways down in just a little bit, or braze them full and file smooth. If the axles are smoothed , hopefully the keyways won't catch or bind causing the wheels to fight on stage. A thin steel shim could also help. Make sure the threads on the axle ends are good. Use castle nuts with cotter pins to hold the nuts to hold the wheels. Do NOT tighten, leave the nuts about one turn loose so the wheels can turn easily. Grease moderately. I would say to use a good fibered wheel bearing grease, but I haven't been able to find any for several years. The axle should turn freely also.
I know from personal battles, that keyways like to find a way to catch and fight, even without keys in them. Rolling a car around a garage that way is bad enough. You don't want to fight a cart onstage in front of an audience.
Have fun!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration