Ketchikan Alaska-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ketchikan Alaska-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Front street 1924.

Can you find it now?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:35 am:

In June my wife and I, along with som friends, are going on an Alaska cruise. One of our stops will be Ketchikan. I'm going to go see if Front Street still looks anything like the photo.

That's a really cool photo Herb. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:38 am:

Henry, I will also be on a late June/early July Alaska cruise through Ketchikan. It's on Princess Cruise lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:39 am:

If I got the right view, it looks like it's gone residential:

front_street

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Anthony,

We sail on the Golden Princess June 1. :-).

It will be our first cruise, so we're looking forward to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony J. Marino - League City, Texas on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:50 am:

It's my first Alaska cruise! Coral Princess on June 24! Looking forward to it. Hope to pan some gold in Ketchikan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:40 am:

It's here on Front St. It looks like the building in the modern photo that says Alaskan Heritage MIGHT be the same as the one in the old. Also, a couple of the houses on the hill are the same. Other than that - pretty different. No monster cruise ship in the old picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:49 am:

Well done, Chris, I knew there must have been something wrong with the view that I found. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:50 am:

There is a model T tour to Alaska this year, run by the Southern California club. Inland passage to Haines then 2000 miles in the Ts through Tok, Fairbanks, Denali, kenai, then back on the inland ferry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

They have modified the turret but looks like you are spot on. There is a tunnel at the end of the street now but you can climb the stairs if you want.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:43 pm:

And there this photo which says it was taken on July 4th 1917. Note the banner is campaigning for a car ferry. The link is:

http://www.sitnews.us/0513News/050113/050113_ak_marine_hwy.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

I missed it the first time I looked at the picture but the story says it is a Cordell transfer truck...

There was this little interesting Ford story though...

when one of early Ketchikan's leading citizens couldn't get his sputtering and stalling Ford up the steep street to his home, he'd back it uphill in roaring reverse gear to the cheers of onlookers and the children running alongside it. Ketchikan was so enamored of the automobile that in the 1920s the city fathers actually considered blasting the boulders out of the impossibly steep Edmonds Street and paving it as a thoroughfare! And it may be myth, but it was also said that J.R. Heckman had a fear of backing his car out of his garage, so he installed a turntable so he could push the car around and drive out head first!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Really interesting stuff Brian. Even though the caption on that photo dates it July 4, 1917 I think it's a little later. That's a TT, and it doesn't look to be new in the photo. I'd guess maybe early 1920's.

Thanks for posting!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

If you stop at Skagway (more than likely) there are three things I advise to see. The Red Onion Saloon tour, The White Pass and Yukon Route train ride, and the Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp & Salmon Bake. Best open air grilled salmon ever.

The wife at the Red Onion:

Liarsville pics:

Railroad ride: www.wpyr.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Bring a warm jacket and hat. The panhandle of Alaska is much cooler than farther north at Anchorage. Anchorage is a beautiful city. Lots of flowers and color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:37 pm:

The Pioneer Hotel in the first picture is still listed as being at 118 Front street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Caribbean Gems in the latest picture is at 212 Front street so the hotel must be close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

In the first old photo, I noticed the interesting mounting of the licence plate on the T Truck. I guess it was to double as a sunshade. And the two cars to the right look like a matching pair of Centerdoor Sedans. I bet they were part of a taxi service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:10 pm:

We were there two years ago, Ketchican was a tourist trap..... jade and other jems were selling at top price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Is it just me, or does that road look like it's made of wood planks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

I agree with you Mark. I think it is/was wood. Probably their answer to all the permafrost issues. Pretty neat, except watch out for flying toothpicks during an earthquake!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Gary White,When in Skagway Try and find Jim Hamilton who drives the Steam engine tour on the White Pass and Yukon RR!! Jim has a extreemly nice 15 touring in Skagway!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

Ken: Met Jim Hamilton At Skagway while he was working on the Railroad. !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

When you are in Ketchikan stop by the museum and see this photo:

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Bud, We were in Skagway in 2008. Would've been nice to have met him. Our traveling days are pretty well behind us now. Getting up in age but mainly wife won't fly anymore. She has had it with all the hassle.

Bob, All the ports are tourist traps. Same shops in each. 80% of shops/stores have no relativity to Alaska. Have to try and look beyond it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:26 pm:

We went in 2006 and when i was buying fuel i met Jim when he spotted my MTFCI jackett! Bob,does he still have that great 15?? Someday getting back to Alaska is high on my list!! We have friends going back on a cruse but we drove and 5'th wheeled for 90 days. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Looks like the Pioneer Hotel moved from the original picture, then closed. In this picture Effy Jewelers is 122 Front St and Julie's is 120. This is a bit further south than the original picture.

And . . . I suppose wooden streets don't get muddy when they thaw.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration