Is any one having a hard time buying gas tanks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is any one having a hard time buying gas tanks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

I have been getting a lot of calls where dealers are out of the oval and round gas tanks, if you need one please give us a call. 815-633-7244 Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Bob, The major (maybe only) gas tank maker is here in Arkansas. I am having him build me a custom speedster tank and was at his place a few weeks ago. He was backed up on orders then and said it could be awhile before he got to mine. . He said he builds about 500 tanks a year, and he does everyone of them by himself. The weather has been bad and very cold at times this year. His shop is big and may be hard to heat. So that could also slow him down. But building model T gas tanks is his only business, and only job. So I feel like he will keep plugging away at them till he is caught up. That is him in the plaid shirt. I do feel like sometime in the future (near or far .??) we will have no gas tanks if he quits, retires, or just gets sick.

tanks

tanks 2

tanks 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Donnie:

Is that you in the blue jeans???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

No, that's not Donnie. He probably took the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Arnie, Mike is right, Im taking the picture. Nobody ever takes pictures of me ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Donnie,

This fellow's work is excellent. When you pick up your tank, please thank and compliment him for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 09:52 am:

Ted, you are correct about his work. It is "over the top" excellent. He also makes all the parts himself. He makes the castings for the filler and outlet, as well as all the threads and machining. It really amazed me what is involved in making the tanks. And it is all done on antique machines, and homemade jigs, dies, and fixtures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 11:06 am:

Just got off the phone with Bill (gas tank mfgr.) He called me to tell me my tank was finished. He also stated he was at least 2 weeks behind due to weather. We have had some very low temps (for Arkansas) and a lot of snow, freezing rain, and sleet and ice. He just could not make it to the business to work on anything ... Here in Arkansas it is not like up North, we have very little road crews to work on the roads,and they concentrate on the main roads. Ice is not like snow, and he lives in the Ouchita Mountains. If it is a little slick, the smart ones do not go anywhere. If you slide off the road in the mountains, it hurts...... Bill is a very good and above board type of person, and we are lucky to have him building tanks for us. My gas tank was a "custom" built tank. The "stock" speedster tank he makes is 10 inch by 27 inches. My tank is 14 inches X 31 inches and has the ribs ect in different locations. but he still charged the same as a regular tank. No special "custom" fees. I am no close friend or anything like that. I just believe in giving praise when it is due ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:09 pm:

Although not a great photo of the tanks, Billy custom built these Torpedo tanks for my wife's Fire Chief's rig a year or so ago - absolutely perfect ! Installed the outlet on the bottom same as the "filler" neck at the rear.

He is most definitely an asset to this hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By henry h on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

I have one (oval) on back order for a while now with one of the retailers. Sounds like it's just a supply problem. Any suggestions on an alternative source?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 01:07 pm:

Henry, You may want to scroll up to the top of this thread. It looks like Bob may have some inventory.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration