Blast cabinet quit blasting?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Blast cabinet quit blasting?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

I changed out the media, pick up tube is clear, hose is clear, blowing air but no abrasive. Yes this is a HF large cabinet. Is there something in the gun I should look at or just throw it out and buy a different gun?

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

Tim, hold your gloved finger over the nozzle hole and squeeze the trigger. This will force air back through the system and usually frees up any blockage. Works on my blasting cabinet though smaller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:58 pm:

Take the gun nozzle apart if you haven't. It probably got moisture in there and clogged itself. I have the same cabinet and even with a drier/separator on it I still get a little moisture that makes it way to the gun.

I have also had debris get into the inlet of the gun too. Make sure everything is cleaned out.

TP Tools makes a better gun for these cabinets, but it also requires more air flow. So make sure your compressor can put out enough air.

http://www.tptools.com/USA-Cabinet-Gun-and-Pickup-Tube-Upgrade-Kit,2320.html?b=d*8026

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Yes I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:01 pm:

Water in the line can make the media clump up and cause a blockage. When mine acts up, I take the suction line off the gun and blow through it with the air line, like in the second picture below. Do it with the lid closed, it will shoot a guyser of abrasive up from the bottom of the media pile! :-)

pic01

pic02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

If it has the screw on type nozzle, sometimes the ceramic part can be pushed in to far and it wont feed. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

I have the same kind, and my gun recently quit working after only 10 years. :-)

I bought a new Campbell-Hausfeld gun from Amazon and like it much better than the one which came with it. If I had known how much better it works, I would have replaced it years ago. Seems like it was only about 20 bucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:24 pm:

Keith is right, I just checked mine and there is nothing to prevent you from pushing the nozzle in too far and blocking the suction feed hole in the gun. When I replace the nozzle I usually stick a pencil in the feed fitting as a temporary stop to keep me from pushing the nozzle on too far before I tighten down the set screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mat Klemp on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:35 pm:

My experience with the HF cabinet is the issue is with the suction tube design, more than the gun. I recommend getting the TIP suction tube.

Mat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

The new C-H gun I mentioned above came with a way long rubber hose and a new metal suction tube. I shortened the hose and just stuck the tube down into the pile of beads at the bottom of the cabinet. Works great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

IMHO you have too much media in your cabinet. I never put more media in mine than to fill half way up the shoot. My air line often gets a bunch of condensation and that water plugs things up. Holding the blast nozzle shut forces air down into the media and should clear things up. Make sure your pickup line is submerged in the media

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 08:37 pm:

Keith,

I think you just hit a home run. I changed the tip and it quit working. I cleared everything over and over and changed media (old glass beads that were now powder) but still nothing. I don't have time for a couple of days but I think you are correct...no suction because tip is in too far. I don't like those tips, they are hard to find, conical in shape and blow out the center. Might just get a new gun after I get it running again.

Thanks for something I wasn't looking at.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Tuominen on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

The biggest culprit that I have found is that the media has worn a hole through the pick up tube. Even though the tube is clear, it just doesn't suck. Not a sermon, just a thought.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration