Old photo - My family

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old photo - My family
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Any idea of what year the car is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

None starter,1920-21.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:03 pm:

Uncle Jack -- What do you see that indicates '20-21 instead of '17-23?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Looks like an early '17 to me. I think I can see equal length windshield hinges, two piece front spring clamps, and clear headlight lenses. Possible a forged truss rod too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Ford went to the fluted lenses in 21 or shortly there after. Top bows look right and low radiator.cowl lamps would be non-stsrter.I can't enlarge to see other things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

For a reference, the little girl that is second from the left is my grandmother. She was born in 1908 and looks to be no more than 9 or 10 years old in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Justin,

If you would post a higher resolution photo of the windshield – that could help clarify the date (or click on my name and my e-mail address is the 3rd line down. If you send me a higher resolution copy and I will try to crop and post it).

Uncle Jack is correct that the side lamps would indicate the car was a non-starter model.

All guesses are based on the assumption that the parts are original to the car. The black radiator makes it a 1917 model year or later car (low radiator 1917-1923 model year cars). As Dave said, it clearly has the equal length windshield hinges that were used 1915 into 1917.

Below is a 1918 with the UN-equal length windshield hinges (no side lights – but you can see where they would normally be located.) Note the hinge is clearly above the spilt in the windshield. (Photo by Hap).

There is a note at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc17.htm which states:

APR 19, 1917 Acc. 78, Ford Archives
Windshield hinge (with the unequal length arms) noted.

Note in the equal length hinges the hinges are basically at the line in the windshield where the top and bottom pane of glass meet rather than above that line as in the later models.

On that same web page at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc17.htm it says:

----- Acc. 575, Box 14, #826, Ford Archives
Riveted style windshield frame and brackets were used in 1915 and 1916 and on the first 450,000 1917 cars. (Until about April 1917.)

MAR 14 Acc. 78, Ford Archives
Mention of new style windshield mounting brackets as having been used, and of the discontinuance of the 1915-16 style for replacement.

Allowing some time for stocks to be used up, and “IF” the car has the new style windshield bracket (again – a higher resolution photo will hopefully answer that) then the car would likely have been made some time around Mar-Apr 1917 maybe even a little later when both the old style windshield hinges and the new style windshield brackets were still both being used. If the car does NOT have the new windshield brackets then Aug 1916 to around Arp 1917 would be a reasonable time frame.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:58 am:

Hap, I'll try to get some higher resolution crops of the windshield and if I have trouble I'll get in touch with you. Thanks for all of the information. It really makes me wonder what the circumstances of the car were. Based on the ages of the people at the time the car must have been almost new when the picture was taken. My grandmother, who was born 11 days after the introduction of the Model T, lived to be 98. I wish that I had asked more about her growing up during that time when so many things were changing.

Also in the picture is my great-grandfather. His brother was the owner of my C cab. I remember hearing stories of him hauling hogs into Pittsburgh to sell them. It makes me wonder if he ever took my C cab on those trips into the city. If only these Model T's that still survive could talk...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration