Kevlar linnings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Kevlar linnings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

Has anyone experienced excessive fibers from running Kevlar? My brother had about 15 miles on new Kevlar and his transmission was loaded with lots of loose strings around the mag ring, drums and especially the funnel on the oil tube.

Just askin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

that condition is usually indicative of a cracked drum. Suggest looking at drums while some one else slowly turns engine over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

Kevlar is bullet proof.
Drums aren't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 07:33 am:

It is my understanding that some Kevlar linings came without the ends sealed up which could allow for some fraying. However, I'm thinking Jack probably has the right idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 07:56 am:

Some Kevlar bands are not sealed at the ends.
Toon
0492R

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 09:15 am:

There are some brands of Kevlar linings that do come without the ends sealed up. I have a set that is shown in the pic above. I bought them from the maker direct and not through any dealer.
I sealed them with super glue and they work fine.
They have made them like that for years and recommend sealing the ends in the instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

The Kevlar weave will come un-done!

So always seal or buy lining that have been pre-sealed with super glue. And you can't glue then if they are used and soaked in oil :-(

Also, worn down drums with sharp edges on the end surfaces will cut into the Kevlar and cause shredding, another issue of worn drums. The bands shift and move over the drums, and sharp edged drums will knife the Kevlar.

Pre-sealed edge of Kevlar lining

If no sealed ends, then use this stuff.

Sealed end Kevlar look good and stays that way on good edged drums.

Un-sealed edges of Kevlar will fray away, ( lesson learned the hard way :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

The bands should be flush with the metal bands not hanging over .They will seem too long, but rivet ends first and then work them in. You can work them toward the middle and compress them into themselves. What ever you do, do not cut them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

Phil, the hang over is right, 3/16" to a 1/4".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

Mine said nothing about sealing them. I bought them from a dealer in Colorado. I guess I can not seal them now. Oily, I better check them. I hate to take the hogshead off too change the bands. I am running original bands for 1916.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

Kevlar is bullet proof but it does tear and can be cut. It will stop a bullet but a knife will go right through it. It is great if someone shoots you in the trans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:31 am:

The Kevlar bands that come in those small cans shown above are made and marketed by Red Hook Restorations.

The paper instructions that come in those cans notes that you should not seal the ends, but it does not say why.

The last set I bought direct from the manufacturer had the ends sealed with a clear epoxy material.

Prior to installation and ever reading the instructions, I always dipped my bands about 1/4th inch in Rustoleum paint.

I have had good results with that process and no problems.

My last set was in my T for 14 years and could have been used again, as they were still in good shape, but I replaced them anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

I seal the ends of nylon rope with a match. I wonder if that would be OK for Kevlar bands. Maybe I'll try it the next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Steve - If that works, it might be a solution to the problem of how to seal Kevlar bands that are already oil-soaked,.....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 01:52 pm:

Steve ; that don't work , Kevlar don't burn !!!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

Maybe if the oily Kevlar band was was clamped tightly in a vice, with just an eighth of an inch or so of the frayed end protruding above the top surface of the vice jaws and enough heat was applied it could be "forced" to burn/melt,.....???

Might be worth some "experimentation" with a "scrap" Kevlar band,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 02:03 pm:

Kevlar will start to burn at 450*C and regular match burns at 1200*C or so. It shouldn't necessarily burn, but it will probably melt - basically it should do about like nylon rope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 02:15 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/172400.html?1290641913

Older post. Burned Kevlar with a match. It glowed and charged but didn't really melt/bond like poly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

I've never had a problem melting the ends with a bic lighter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Is there a chemical that will melt it? Kinda like you melt PVC pipe when you 'glue' it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

Since this thread is about Kevlar I wonder if anybody has had their Kevlar bands become really unraveled and not just on the ends like Dan T shows in his pic.

I don't recall ever seeing any pics that show them being unraveled and coming apart in an engine. If there has been maybe I missed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Bands should not hang over. Watch the DVD that Fred Huston made on rebuilding a Model T transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 10:10 pm:

Phillip.
Fitting instructions for, woven dupont 100% kevlar bands.
The way I see it, if you try to squeeze the extra 1/2" in, you are compressing the weave, therefore less oil can be retained in the weave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

I followed the instructions Frank did, and i think he is correct. I bought mine from Lang's and i did not seal them, so like everyone else, i started second guessing myself till i looked at the photo Lang's posted as the product they were selling. I cant remember if mine looked like this before i installed them, but from this picture they look like they are already sealed on the end.

https://www.modeltford.com/i/c/1985l.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

Kevin, your linings most likely came from Rocky Mountain Machine Company (different from RM Brake Co,) and if so they should be just fine. I have run their linings for more than 10 years and have had no problems.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration