Reposting Hassler Beehive Shock Absorbers. How I dealt with them.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Reposting Hassler Beehive Shock Absorbers. How I dealt with them.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Wednesday, March 11, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

Several days ago I tried to post this with several picture (one of them being ejected because it was too large). I was running out of time and Xed it down. But it appeared anyway with no pictures. BOO!
Let me try again.

I had posted this on the 2008 Forum. I thought it might be a benefit to someone again. The reason I got involved with the Hasslers is because I had a right side spring shackle to freeze up. When the front end wanted to bounce, the frozen shackle wouldn’t allow that side of the car to bounce while the other side did bounce. It was causing the front end to ‘leap’.
0frozenshackle

Not knowing if I really had to take everything apart, I did it anyway.
I can’t remember everything that I did. So, anyone doing this the first time may pick up some ideas from what I did. There is probably a more correct way of doing it but without any instructions, my process was a “hit/miss” venture. But it worked out fine.

When beginning to re-assemble the axle to the spring I first tried with the spring being fastened in place to the fame cross piece but couldn’t get the perches to come anyway near to entering the locations where they go through the axle.

I found that by having the already assembled spring and the axle laid out on the floor I was able to position both so as to be able to insert the perches through axle. I did have to do some forcing of the perches into the axle.

One of the larger Model T Ford clubs had a piece on Hassles with pictures & instructions like the black and white pictures below. But that website has disappeared. So, it is a good thing that I had saved the pictures.
IF YOU HAVE HASSLERS YOU OUGHT TO SAVE THE URL FOR THIS SUBJECT SO THAT YOU CAN COME BACK TO IT.

This brochure from Snyder’s o Lang’s may be of some help?? http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/2081 https://www.modeltford.com/item/C2A.aspx

The first thing to do is to make two spring compressing bolt thingies. First picture below.

It all came down really to tinkering. My pictures with instructions added should be of the most help.
You are welcome to copy my pictures and print them.
My advice… if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

If you decide to not reinstall the Hasslers you have to exchange the perches from one side to the other. You can’t just turn them around… they will be at a wrong angle.
The last picture is for rear Hasslers.
Gene in Virginia Beach

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Don't keep making new posting each time. Bump your original posting and add the photos there. As long as it's bumped we will see that it has new content. The color of the title changes when it gets bumped if we have not read it after the bump. If you can't get the photos to post try opening a free on line photo storage like Photobucket, make it public and post the link in your posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 12:33 am:

Here is a 2008 thread by Gene with some pictures: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/53569.html?1208891118

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 12:35 am:

2008, well that's one way to remember when I put mine on! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:35 am:

Thanks Roger,
You are a man after my heart. You must save threads that are important to you. I am going to add a couple of pics from my original try.
The added color pictures will show better details. Also pics from a Hassler brochure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:47 am:

Thanks Roger,
You are a man after my heart. You must save threads that are important to you. I am going to add a couple of pics from my original try.
The added color pictures will show better details. Also pics from a Hassler brochure.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration