The all aluminum TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The all aluminum TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 12:20 am:

alu TT

Henry Ford had an all aluminum TT built to haul mail for Ford Air Transport Service. I wonder what happened to it? Likely it had a standard steel chassis and just the body was made out of aluminum, but it's still quite special. From the early 20's on, Ford usually saved most specials built - if not on display at the museum, they were kept in storage. Then there have been two critical periods - first WW2 when lots of what Ford thought wasn't essential went to scrap for the war effort and the early 80's when the museum sold other precious artifacts they thought were unneccessary.
Did this one go to scrap in WW2 since aluminum was in high demand for aircraft production?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 12:39 am:

I read in one of my books that this aluminum TT was stamped out at Edward Budd facilities and only one was made. I don't think the aluminum was strong enough to last very long but there are other photos of this taken at a Trimotor event ..

Notice the Budd style wheels.

Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 06:38 am:

And from that picture it was polished!! That's SUPER cool! Well, when I have more money than sense I shall be recreating one of these for myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan - Vineland NJ 08360 on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 07:09 am:

With the F-150 Ford pickup made from Aluminum it, you would think, be of interest to Ford today as a marketing item. Also I wonder why Ford did not polish one of the new pickups for marketing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:27 am:

Ford had numerous special-purpose vehicles built for factory use (some pictures below). I wonder if any, including the aluminium TT, survived?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:37 am:

Gee Erick, now you did it. I bought the 2014 F150 to avoid the aluminum truck. Thanks to your idea though, I want one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:02 am:

When a previous owner found aluminum in the body, he stripped it and painted the steel parts to match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:06 am:

Now you've got more than the radiator on the runabout to polish, Steve ;)

(but better to put a timing gear in place and make it run)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration