Generator Problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Generator Problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

As usual I have a problem seems like one right after another. I have a 1914 engine correct by serial number that has been modified with a 6 volt generator. These engines were not made to have a geared generator so this is a belt drive. It appears that the generator is pretty much like the ones used on the later flat head models. There is a part number on it that says Ford AA 3 which I haven't been able to cross reference yet. Point is my generator is not putting out so I am trying to find another one or at least what Ford it was originally on. Also I am pretty sure the generator will work for neg or pos ground depending on how you polarize it Is that true or false? Next question does any one have this same set up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Yes, a generator can be polarized either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Thanks Ted I thought that it could be. Wasn't 100% sure so thought I would ask.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Why don't you have someone rebuild it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 10:24 am:

That is my intention Mike. Finally found a couple of places around my area that still rebuild the older one's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 11:02 am:

How many terminals on that generator? If only one, then it works the same as a Model T generator and should work (if it's operational) with a cutout or a (Fun Projects) voltage regulator.
If it has 2 terminals, one smaller one and one larger one, it will require the proper voltage regulator for it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration