1922 Model T - for sale in NJ

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1922 Model T - for sale in NJ
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Leonard on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:42 pm:

Due my uncle's recent passing, I have a 1922 Model T. I live in NJ and while I'd love to keep it, I don't see myself doing anything with it as I really don't know much about it. So, I'm looking for a buyer...

Some details - while my uncle drove it on a occasion, I don't think it has been run in at least 5 years. The body looks to be in good condition with no major issues as far as I could tell looking at it today.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thank you in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Post a picture and identify what body style it is .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Hello, Shawn. You have come to the right place for help. I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle, but at least you have his Model T to help you recall fond memories of him.

"...while I'd love to keep it, I don't see myself doing anything with it..."

Don't give up on it too quickly. Model T's are different from modern cars and seem strange at first, but those of us here really like them. You might too, if you'd get more familiar with them.

There are some Model T folks near you. The best thing I can suggest is that you hook up with some of them and have them come over and familiarize you with T's. Or maybe go to their shop and get to know a running T. You might just be surprised at how simple they are and easy to get close to. And since your car was passed down from a family member, you would have a connection to it that most of us don't have.

To find T'ers near you, go to the MTFCA home page and click on "Chapters." You'll see a link to clubs in NJ with contact info. Most Model T guys are more than happy to help out anyone who is interested in T's.

If all the above is out of the question, I'd suggest that you post an ad on the Classifieds section of this website, with pictures. The more pictures, the more info potential buyers will have. But I hope you will do this only as a last resort, after trying to get more familiar with your uncle's car. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 10:35 pm:

Where are you exactly Shawn? Or more to the point where's the car at? Depending on the body style I might be interested. Or send a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Leonard on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:40 pm:

Thanks all for your responses, I appreciate it. I will post photos - I'm hoping to go to the garage where it is located tomorrow.

I like the idea of seeing a running T. Still, I'm afraid I'll never get to the work of getting it running and doing the necessary restoration work. Hence, my hesitation to keep the T.

Also, I'm the executor for the estate, so I need to value the T for tax purposes. So, I hope I can accomplish two things at once if I can find someone nearby to see their T and get a feel for its value.

Look for an update tomorrow. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Leonard on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Hi, I tried to post photos, but they seem to be too large? I took them with my iPhone. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:56 am:

Hey Shawn,

I use an app on my iPhone call "simple resize" for posting pictures here.

Open the photo from your library, and save it to the default 460x416 size and they'll work. You may still only be able to post a couple pictures at time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Here are shawn's photos.

Looks like a '24 to me:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Shawn - Hard to say from the West Coast about the value of an East Coast, but just sort of a guess on my part, but I'd say that if it doesn't run, you might get somewhere around 5K for it, but running and drivable, you might get as much as 7K or 8K for it. The worn but serviceable upholstery an top help a lot. In looking at the photos, is it possible that the upholstery is original? If so, add a bit more. Just my opinion, worth only what it cost you,......ha, ha,.....nice car,......harold ( ; >)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Leonard on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Royce, thank you some much for posting the photos. I really appreciate it.

Regarding the year, the registration for vehicle (it is registered and insured) says 1922…

Speaking of registration - is there a title for a car like this?

Also, the hood is there, it is just off to the side in case anyone was wondering

Finally, when looking around the garage I came across what I suspect are spare parts (head light, radiator…) as well as an engine with clutch attached - look very similar, but not the same as the engine in the car. I didn't take of photos of these items, but could next time I'm there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:39 pm:

Yes, New Jersey requires titles for cars this old as I believe they started titling cars in 1923. If you don't have the physical title in hand for the car, you'd better see if you can find it. NJ is a pain in the rear....

Or you can request a duplicate title. That will cost you sixty dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

The car is most definitely not 1922, unless the owner registered a 1922 engine in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Being registered as the wrong year is not a big deal at all, it seems about half of all Model Ts are registered incorrectly. I agree that the car is a 1924.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Leonard on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 07:37 am:

Spend some time looking thru more paperwork last night and no title. Still, I have the vehicle registration (good thru 3/2017) which implies a title exists. So, I can get a duplicate title for $60 as William said earlier. Unless, I find it soon, I'll go this route.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Leonard on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 07:40 am:

In addition, regardless that the body implies a 1924, the registration says 1922 so I'm going to go with this. When I go to see the vehicle again, I'll look at the engine to see what is stamped on it as the date of manufacture - I came across an earlier post in this forum about how to find & ID.

Also, I'll do the same with the other engine I mentioned and let you know what I find (with photo)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

I have seen 1922's with a straight windshield like my roadster, and with a slant windshield like the one in the picture posted. I think the change was made with the 1923 model year which came out late 1922, and if the car was first sold in the fall of 1922 it would be called a 1922 but if sold after January, it would be a 1923. See pictures attached This is a picture of my 1922 Roadster with the straight windshield and low radiator

The car on right in this picture is a 1922 with the slant windshield.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Model years are determined by the manufacturer, not the state DMV.

No such thing as a 1922 model year Ford with a slant windshield and one man top.

Shawn: If you are going to order and pay for a replacement title, you should get the title corrected while you are at it.

If you push the car out into the driveway, take some good photos of it and supply us with the serial number on the motor, we can tell exactly what you have.

Based on what we see, the one man top, slant windshield, high radiator indicate a 1924 or 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Shawn, Click on my name, send me an email, and I'll see if I can come to you and see the car. Maybe we can figure out if it will run or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Pierce on Friday, March 20, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Not sure about New Jersey but here in Connecticut (and most of the New England states)titles are not given to vehicles older than 20 years. Just a bill of sale, previous registration card, and a vin check is all that's needed to put on the road. Not sure what others have done from title states who try to title old cars from here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 12:17 am:

Mine's a 1925, and a title was required for it and it's 90 years old. According to the NJ MVC website, any vehicle that operates on NJ roads, requires a title. So, there ya go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, March 23, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Shawn I replied to your message but it might not look like it's from me but from a different email address as I have all my email forwarded Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Leonard on Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 06:20 pm:

Hi all, I want to let you know that I finally found the title today - it was literally the last thing I went thru - it was inside the original insurance policy envelope - Jan 1993. The title was issued on Jan 6, 1993.

It is titled as a 1922 - which as we know doesn't match the body type. Last Saturday, a fellow T owner - Will Vanderburg was nice enough to come see the car and explained a lot about the car - THANKS Will!

One thing we did try to do is ID the engine, but unfortunately the stampings are readable - Will surmised that this is why the registration/title has a vin # that isn't "correct".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 12:15 am:

The numbers were "illegible". Not a single number was visible. The title/reg number are assigned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DAVID SPENCE on Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 02:01 am:

If wishing to sell this car to a European buyer especially in UK you will need a title having just imported a T from USA , no title in UK means not able to substantiate true age despite all the info in the from here to obscurity book our registration authorities consider the car as a parts car .

Get a title .

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration