Tripoli Iowa NRS car-Photo What are the other ones?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tripoli Iowa NRS car-Photo What are the other ones?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

The "State Bank" is not in the building but "State Farm" is.

Looks like an insurance company is there today. The NRS is gone too.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 06:34 am:

Good one Ken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Herb,

Thanks for posting the great photo. While most folks generically lump all the 1906-1908 four cylinder Ford cars that were not the early Model Ts as NRS Fords, Ford actually called them four separate models. In this case the middle car shown is technically not an NRS car but rather an SR for the Roadster. While most of the chassis parts are identical between all four models, the Model N Runabout; Model R Runabout; Model S Runabout; and the Model S Roadster; the body parts including the splash aprons and fenders are unique to the S Roadster. And all four of those models had their own serial number sequence. I.e. there was a #1 through the end of production for all four of them.

Note above on the 1908 Price List of Parts shown below Ford clearly states “Ford Models N, R, S, and S Roadster” but only shows three cars. But on page 3 of the same price list they show that the Model R Runabout and the Model S Runabout look almost the same from the side but have easily distinguished rear decks as shown below:

Many of the books tend to list them as Model N 1906; Model R 1907; Model S 1908 but they show the Model S Roadster and not the Model S Runabout. Showing only three of them leads many folks to think there were only three models rather than four. And I think the cover of the 1908 price list of parts that shows only the 3 illustrations is probably part of the reason many authors have only listed the three models rather than listing the four models.

Additionally back in the early days of the auto industry, many companies produced the same model for several years. In this case the Model N was produced for 1906, 1907, and 1908. The Model R was primarily produced in 1907 but a few were also produced later. The Model S Runabout began production/shipping in Aug 1907. And the Model S Roadster began shipping in Mar 1908.

And while all four models were replaced by the Model T, a few were assembled later and shipped as new cars. For example on page 482 of Bruce McCalley’s (R.I.P.) “Model T Ford” he documented a shipment of new Model N, R, S, or SR cars was on Jul 20, 1909 when three Model S Roadsters (#3,710, #3,711, #3,719) and one Model S Laundalet (#3,709) were listed as shipped from the Ford USA factory. [Bruce’s book is available in paper back from the club at: http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/model-t-ford-the-car-that-changed-the-world . It is also part of a much larger documentation on two CDs see:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/333725.html?1357665853 and note that the shipping on the CDs went up and is approximately $6.25 now.] I currently don't have any specific documentation on Ford of Canada last shipments. But if someone is willing to visit the University of Windsor Ford of Canada archives located across the river from Detroit I’m 80% sure that information is in the files they received from Ford of Canada several years ago. See: http://web4.uwindsor.ca/units/archive/ford.nsf and if you would like specific accessions to look under, please drop me an e-mail with “Model N,R,S,& SR Research” or something similar in the title and I will gladly look up where you should search.

And the car to the left of the Model S Roadster looks like an early Buick to me. But when I tried to zoom in on the name on the radiator, I could not make it out so I am not sure about which make it really is.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 09:43 am:

The other cars are Buicks. Since I don't see a crank, the one in back MAY be a Model F 2-cylinder - it cranked from the side.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration