The most desirable Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The most desirable Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

Has there ever been a study or consensus on which year and model of the production T's are the most desirable? I know that a lot of people think the 14 touring was the benchmark, what's your thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

I have a '14 Touring and like it very much, but in my opinion the '11 and '12 Torpedo Roadsters are the most desirable.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

I guess it depends who you're talking to. I favour the '17-'22 models myself. Especially Runabouts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

I have a 1916, but I have always liked the improved 1926-27 T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, March 13, 2015 - 11:57 pm:

I have 2x 16's and 2x 26/27's, rather drive the 16,s any day, so anything veteran gets my vote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:00 am:

Desirability, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. A car may be rare and costly, but isn't necessarily what a lot of people desire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:15 am:

1909 pre serial number 2500.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:17 am:

While I would not turn down any Model T's my favorite year has always been 1914 Touring's. And second on that list would be a 1914 roadster! By 14 Henry had sorted out the process of building T's and they, IMHO, were just about bullet proof. I like gas lights. I have never had the head lights, or side lights, go out while driving and I drive my 14 about 4 or 5 times a year back from the big first Saturday cruse in Golden CO after dark. That being said it is hard to beat driving my weather proof 26 Coupe! I can recall pulling over to the side of the road while driving a Touring in Arkansas during a monsoon rain and having to open an umbrella inside the car to keep dry. All I can say is that any day spent driving any T is better than going to work by a long haul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:17 am:

A friend of mine has a 1911 Torpedo he's restoring and it's going to be an awfully nice car when it's done. Personally, I'd love to some day have a brass rad touring (probably going to be a bitsa in my case) to give rides in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Royce, why under 2500?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:29 am:

ssssh! (because it has a water pump) he-he!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:30 am:

I like the 1908 to early 1914, (late 1913 calendar year),Model T's. Still Brass and under 400,000 made. Pre-assembly line days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen 40 miles west of chicago on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:01 am:

I would say it is the one the other feller just bought for a song.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:30 am:

I like the 15/16 transition models.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:15 am:

I have both brass and black,but like the blacks the best, especially the 24 touring. I also prefer original over restored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:23 am:

Of the brass I do like the 14 touring the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 07:05 am:

John, for me the most desirable Model T is the one I don't own.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 08:35 am:

Well for Pete's sake!!....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 08:54 am:

I like brass. I also like early cars, and for me, the 1909-1912 T is the favorite. At that point in history, I feel the Model T was innovative, and equal to much higher priced cars in appearance, appointment and price. If I had my choice (and unlimited funds) it would be a 1908 built (number 309 or earlier) touring.

Always fun to dream.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:03 am:

I think Keith nailed it. The '14 Touring is the quintessential Model T. But, the '11 Torpedo is the most sought after.

I would prefer to own a '15 Centerdoor over the '11 Torpedo, but that's just me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:06 am:

So far a heaps of different opinions but no mention of the 1915 Couplet! It offers the best of both worlds. A nice enclosed coupe for the Mrs and a nice top down roadster for the guy! I would love to own one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:07 am:

It'll always be a Touring for me. I don't know exactly why but the last ones (26/27) actually have a sporty look with the top down. Least favorite? probably the early coupes. Way too boxy but again the last ones, when HF learned to bend metal, were dynamite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:41 am:

I'll go with Warren- most desirable is the next one I don't own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:59 am:

'26-'27 Touring hands down :-)

Was Henry's final OK on changes to the chassis, and Edsel's wishes for body design and features!

The Improved Car touring has it all, room for friends, cowl gas tank for no worry hills, dual frame opening windshield, big trans brake, big drum emergency lined brake, big steering wheel, big balloon tires, big fenders and wide running board, lower stance, and best of all......a driver's door!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Kind of a dumb question! Not everyone thinks the same or likes the same Model T's. To each his own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:27 am:

What year did Ford choose to re produce?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Dan, you're clearly not an overweight, middle-aged man with stilts for legs and joints that creak and groan. :-) It's been my experience that the "improved" Fords are the tightest fit of all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leffler on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:45 am:

I can't help it I like them all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Eric

That's why I said the touring!

If the fit is tight up front, and you need more room, move to the back seat :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:02 am:

If I could only choose one, the budget was unlimited, and I could convince my wife to polish brass, I'd have a hard time choosing between an '09 Touring or an '11 Torpedo.

The '09s are cool because of their historical significance, first year, rare early parts, etc.

The '11 Torpedo is in my opinion the most beautiful T Ford ever produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:14 am:

This one:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Australia on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:00 pm:

The most desirable T? Easy; a very rare brass era Australian bodied RHD; rare, unique, stylish and never in black!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Any of them between 1914 and 1922, even if I had loads of money. Or just be happy with Nellybell that I have. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

Even though I have a couple of '26 cars (Touring and Tudor project in progress), I still like the looks of a brass car. They have a certain elegance that is missing from later models. And I fully agree with Eric, the Improved cars are a tight squeeze for just about anyone other than a 12 year old. If I could trade my cars for a good '15 down the road I'd probably do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

Eric - I also have a '27 Fordor and don't feel cramped in it at all. The driver sits up nice and straight and the seats have good cushions. It's a very comfortable car to drive, much different than our '26 Roadster which has hardly any padding on the lower seat cushion.

Of course, I'm not anywhere as tall as you at about 5'9", but you might try out a Fordor some time just for the heck of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

Model T's are like sex, all are good, some are better than others. All in the eyes of the beholder.
My favorite has always been the one I have, as per above.

Ajo Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Wightman on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

The 1909 Touring, and the 1911 Torpedo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

1909 Coupe or 1909 Towncar!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:33 pm:

I'll agree with Bill, my favorite is the one in my garage. (Currently a late '23 coupe)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

I guess this is one of those "it depends" questions. The most desirable in terms of dollar worth would be the rare-as-hens'-teeth, 2-pedal/2-lever, 1908 car (which could be sold for an enormous amount of money so I could then go out and buy the car I really want: an early, wood-bodied, 1912 Touring (and have enough money left over to buy a trailer and tow vehicle). -

I like the '12 because it was early enough to have all the brass, the diamond-tufted leather upholstery and long windshield braces of the earliest cars, but had all the mechanical problems ironed out. -HmóDid the wood-body '12s have the closed-valve engine?

In practical terms, however, I did alright with my '15, which is common enough that I dared update it a bit for practical touring and traffic-jamming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

I think we agree it is different for each individual. I agree with Bob C. above. My mocked up '09 has been very satisfying to me. Most non T folks couldn't tell it from a real '09. I can tour with it without the worry or insurance cost a real one would have. It has a '20 engine and '13-'14 running gear and a home made body. The people who I have toured with and do know the difference have been very accepting of it.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

I'd like a '14 Touring, but probably not for the reason others do. I'd like a brass car with acetylene headlights and I figure that everything else being equal, a '14 would be the cheapest one that meets that criteria. I'm not married to the Touring body style, but it does have the advantage of being able to carry more passengers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

I love them all but my favorite would have to be the '09 touring in red. Second would be the '15 touring. I'm lucky to have a '15 and really enjoy it. Really like the '26s too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:43 pm:

Isn't it wonderful that Ford made 15 million of these things about a hundred years ago and we can have this discussion today? Most of the favorites are readily available for less than the cost of a new bass boat. Even the most expensive Model Ts still cost less than a new, well equipped, Diesel Ford F-250 SuperCrew.

As for my most desirable Model T to own? My wife jokingly settled it for me this afternoon when she said "Your favorite Model T is our '14 Touring, because you'll never sell it unless your single or planning to be." Case closed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 07:14 pm:

MINE !!! :-)

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

I like the black era most. They just represent the quintessential T to me.
Trucks are best of all. There is just "something" about an old flatbed truck.
Brass is too "foofie" and the frog-eye high mount headlights on the Improved
cars ruin the aesthetic. All are great, but most I prefer in someone else's
garage ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / MN on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Larry Smith...what is your favorite Model T? A fun question, not a dumb one. I am waiting to see a positive posting from you one of these days.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Maybe i should have made the thread title a little less ambiguous, like, "What is your most desired Model T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

For me, best of both worlds... the '15 -'16 brassies. I just love the look of brass against the black and the lines of the "new" cowling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

John - you're good with this title. This is a great thread!

I saw the title of this and immediately thought of the "Rip Van Winkle T." For me, "desirable" means as untouched as there is out there - or "historic." Maybe #15,000,000 at Greenfield Village - Edsel drove her, Henry rode in her. Preferred it when she was out on the floor in the museum and not behind a curtain in the Village (making a 30-second appearance at the end of some audio presentation).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

Hal Davis had a good point about the '14 being the least expensive model year that still had acetylene headlamps (and the antique look of the cherrywood dashboard and square-corner oil lamps). -When I submitted my want ad in the classifieds, I advertised for a '14 or '15 because I wanted brass, but couldn't afford anything of earlier vintage. -As luck would have it, I came away with a '15 and am very happy with it.

The "problem" with model-years earlier than '14 would be that their rarity and far greater worth sort of precludes compromising their originality with things like turn signals and electric headlamps. -I would also hesitate to use such a car as a "knockabout driver." -No, I'm good with my humble '15.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

Ron, you're not the only one who feels that way about the 15, 000,000th T. That presentation is ok with a Model T but not "THAT" Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Dave - I first saw her 37 years ago. She was sitting in the museum and I must have stared at her for an hour. I next saw her three years ago - when I couldn't find her in the museum I asked a docent where she was. I must have sat through that audio presentation about 5 times to get my 30 second peeks at her. Very disappointing.

When I went through in 1978, they had Model A engine #1 on display in the museum as well. Couldn't find that on my trip three years ago and the docent I asked had no idea what I was talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 12:08 am:

Thanks Ron, i appreciate your sentiment very much. The main reason I'm here is to just learn about our cars that i truly love. I just learned something from Keith Gumbinger less than an hour ago that i had no idea about, but he had the answer i was looking for, and that's what's great about this forum. I realize you can't please everyone here, but i think asking questions should be encouraged and not frowned upon just because you get some grumpy replies..Just my 2 cents, probably more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 12:27 am:

In the seventies, I had a 13 wide track touring that had the original wide track fenders on it when I bought it, but the rear spring; rear axle assembly; and front axle had been changed out to standard tread. I was lucky enough to find the missing parts all within 100 miles from me. The original engine rebuilt at .030 over bore. The body and sheet metal had zero rust, although the fenders were a bit wavy. I'd give all the T's I've owned since then (except my grandfather's 27 coupe) to have the 13 back again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 12:38 am:

Hi John - Thanks for the compliment...I'm glad to help.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin hawes on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 03:30 am:

Dan killicut, I agree with you the best is an original car. I just bought my dads model t coupe and am getting it back to running after 30 years of garage sitting. tomorrow here in colorado 70 + degrees so I am gonna test out the new bands, carburetor, then put back in shop for the rocky Mountain brake switch out. Hope it is a great day for t'ing!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

The most desirable T is one that can win the Montana 500! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

Tom, You're right about that! That'd be a fine running T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 09:38 am:

It's a good thing we all have different opinions on this matter or everyone would want the same car. A man once told me, "I'm glad that all of us don't like the same thing. Otherwise, every man in the world would be after my wife!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

I have never met a Model T I didn't like, even just a pile of parts! But if I could only choose one it would be the Rip Van Winkle about 50 years ago. After all this a fantasy post, Right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 07:49 pm:

I'd like to run across a 1911 Torpedo Rip van Winkle car that some kids just wanted to get rid of, out of that old barn on the property they just bought. I'd be glad to haul it off for them, dust and all.

How's that for a fantasy post? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Mike W! Now you're talkin'!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration