Home Made Open Car Top Question ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Home Made Open Car Top Question ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel M. Chapasko on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:56 am:

Are there patterns available for someone who wants to make their own open car top? I have a 1927 Roadster and Touring. Are there videos available for do it yourself people?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 07:56 am:

I installed a Classtique top kit on my 1924 cut-off touring car (now a pickup) and was very pleased with the results, especially for my first attempt at a top installation.

I can't comment on the availability of patterns for those that want to cut their own material, but here are links to Classtique's top installation videos, in sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PVyCfqQhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxCd-PFWCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH43ONSK6T0

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Probably no patterns available to make top covers. But possible to do, with butcher paper and make you own patterns. Just lay out over the top frame.

For the runabout, its two sewn pieces of top material, the rear curtain, and the top cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:40 am:

I have scratch build half a dozen tops. By the time I bought all the materials and figured out the geometry, the kits seemed like a pretty good deal. Also the later tops turned out better than the first one or two. However there is a sense of satisfaction in doing it yourself. I haven't seen patterns but there are some good "How To" articles. One being in the "Model T Ford Restoration Handbook" by Floyd Clymer. I think it is still available through some of the T parts suppliers.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

You should be able to purchase copies of the drawings for the various top pieces from the Benson Ford Research Center. You would be surprised how many drawings are required! I replaced my 1916 top with a Classtique kit and it worked well. I relied on the Clymer book (red cover) mentioned by Richard Eagle; some emailed pictures from Macs showing details of the front bow area; and advice from knowledgeable friends. All three were invaluable.

I made four 18" tall saw horses and laid three 2" by 12" by 10 Foot planks to make a raised platform for working on the top. Planks went on both sides and behind the car. Another piece of good advice was to sew the bow covering on the bows. Not too hard once you got started,

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration