Come H*ll or High Water.... :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Come H*ll or High Water.... :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 10:33 am:

....my T is coming out today!!! I'm so sick of winter this year. Even though there's still feet of melting snow in the yard, my driveway and our street are clear of ice and snow. Both the T and the '05 Queen have been pushing against the door for a few days now, the day is nice and the temperature is about 10 degrees celsius(10 above freezing), and that's good enough for me! Apparently, as I type, Jennie has informed me it's raining slightly, so that means less salt on the road when the car(s) come out later. Hopefully pics will follow later today! :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:05 am:

Darren, because the degrees are different, 10 celsius converts to 50 fahrenheit. Not bad, actually... Go for it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:18 am:

You're kidding of course, Dick.

Standard temp is 15C - 59F.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:33 am:

Great to hear Darren. Looking forward to the pics. My car is in pieces but, parts are on the way and next week will be the big push to get it finished. Enjoy the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:04 pm:

Yes I went through this yesterday I say

"MAMMA GO GET YOU SHOVEL" well that didnt work.

when she leaves I shall partake in spritis
ferment'i open door an floor it, my car eats snow.
is this clear as mud?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

Don't follow you, Ralph. I didn't do the math, I used an online converter. However, since 1 degree C is equivalent to 1.8 degrees F, then 10 C is ten degrees C above freezing, 10 degrees C = 18 degrees F, and 18 degrees F above freezing is 32 + 18 = 50 F. Are we talking at cross purposes somehow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

Tf = 9/5(Tc) + 32

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 01:58 pm:

That's pretty much what I said, Bill.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 02:46 pm:

Maybe Ralph is saying that in sunny California he doesn't take HIS T out when it's below standard day temperature.... :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Sorry, Dick. I'm wearing a pressure mask at the keyboard now, and read 60, instead of 50...

My keyboard has temp display, and it says 28C right now, with open window three feet away..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 05:53 pm:

So what is -40F in C?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Interesting one, Gary... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Most people have a lot of trouble converting the two measuring systems (whether we are discussing distance, volume, or temperature). Think in approximate and round numbers.
Celsius degrees are slightly under two Fahrenheit degrees. Celsius 0 equals 32 Fahrenheit.
F 32 plus -40 F equals 72 Fahrenheit degrees below 0 degrees Celsius. With a near 2 to 1 that would be roughly minus 36 degrees Celsius. You can try to make a minor correction for the actual 1.8 to 1 versus the approximated 2 to 1 conversion? However, can you really tell the difference between -36 degrees and -40 degrees?
I realize that Gary W is probably joking. -40 degrees is the "magic" number where the two systems meet. But I have been converting the two systems for many years once I realized that almost nobody knows how far five miles really is (or exactly how much a gallon of water is when it is sitting in a 1 1/2 gallon bucket). A kilometer is roughly 2/3 of a mile (actually a bit closer to 3/5). Five miles is roughly 7 1/2 kilometers. A liter is somewhat over a quart. A roughly a gallon of water is roughly 3 1/2 liters.
If you need to know exactly how much, or long, or warm, something is? Get out the measuring cups, tape measures, or thermometers. I just thought I would take this opportunity to say that there is no good reason to fear the metric systems.
Ralph, Always good to see you here!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

And Darren J W! Enjoy that drive!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:08 am:

Nothin but rain all day Saturday, and Today! :-( Monday may have to be the day! However, today is not over yet!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Why don't you use all : Celsius , Meters , Liters , Kilogram . Much easyer !!!!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Toon, it's not always that easy. When I moved to Holland, I also had to learn "ons" (which isn't an ounce) and "pond" (which isn't a pound)... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Suppose to be 50 degrees tomorrow, but still way to much snow on the ground to even think about getting a T out. Way to much salt on the road also, need a lot of rainy days to get rid of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

They are predicting high 50's and maybe even reaching 60 here tomorrow. If it does I'm going riding no matter how much salt and crap is on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

I put about 50 miles on my 14 Touring today. I just got back home and checked the thermometer. It is 84 degrees here in Denver at about 3:30!

(Message edited by paulmikeska on March 15, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

One more picture with the mountains in the background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

84 Degrees???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:23 pm:

YEP!

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=80004

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

Let that web site load and you will see that the high was 87 today!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 12:03 am:

Here it got up to 35 degrees with occasional snow flurries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 02:51 am:

Paul, I can see that your car is a real chick magnet!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Well, it took some time, but today being a nice spring day, it was nice enough to get the old cars out, finally! The T is coming out later. We got our 1905 Queen running today and drove it about 10 miles. My son Caden is home for Easter from college. This is his first time driving our Queen. He has driven a 1906 single cylinder Cadillac, so he is slightly familiar with early cars :-)
I let him drive it around the block a few times with me riding shotgun, but he put it in the garage himself. We got a little bit of i-phone video for your entertainment!
Here's the link to the video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPrX4t6n9s0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

Great video, Brake! Brake!!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

LOL!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike mclean pefferlaw ontario canada on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Great car Darren will we see it on any tours this year mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:13 pm:

-40C equals -40F I first learned this when I was driving through Grand Rapids, Minnesota at 6 PM and the temperature sign on a bank showed those temps. The next morning at Margie, Minnesota it was -55F, the coldest temperature I have ever experienced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

It was about 14 degrees above freezing today. With a nice wool sweater on, I was able to enjoy a short drive without my winter coat. Hope fully we will be on a few tours this year. I know the HCCA is having a few tours near our area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Kramer on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

When Darren was out with the 1905 Queen,he stopped at my place & took me for my first ride of the season in his 1905 Queen.Our 1913 T is parked in the back of the garage & you have to drive across the lawn to get it out.The ground is too soft right now to drive on.The 1909 T is stored close to the driveway,but we are getting new wood installed on the back rims & they should be done any day now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Boothroyd, Victoria, B.C. on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 06:11 pm:

Paul, was the chicken well done when you arrived home?

Regards,

Steve b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, April 03, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Looks good Darren. I got mine out today too for the first time. My new Brassworks rad went on perfectly and there are no leaks at all. It sure keeps it cool too.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration