Enclosed Trailer for Fordor??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Enclosed Trailer for Fordor??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 01:47 pm:

Does anyone here haul their Fordor in an enclosed trailer? What size do you use, and what would you change ? I have a 1927, and I am looking to buy a trailer this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

Ed - I have a '27 Fordor and it goes in my 7' garage door easily. Actually, I think it's about 6'9". If you get a trailer that has a rear door opening of at least 7 feet, you should be ok.

My trailer is also 8' wide which makes it much easier to get in and out of the car and walk around it.

For length, the Fordor is about 11' 6", so you need at least a 14' trailer, but 16' is better, especially if you carry extra parts, chairs and other stuff in the trailer also.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Get one with a interior beaver tail. That will drop the floor at the entrance by about 3". Make it much easier to load and does not add to the overall height.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williams, Humboldt TN on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:32 pm:

I would not buy an enclosed trailer without getting it big enough to get any Model T I wanted in it. I have a '15 touring and I think it is about as tall as any T. I bought a Husky Cargo trailer. It is 8'6 wide by 7'6 opening. The box is 20' long with a 2' V nose for better aerodynamics. The trailer is very well build and did not break the bank. I bought it direct special built for me from the factory close to Atlanta. It has plenty of room for my T strapped down and room for my wife to get all of her stuff in we have to carry on tour plus what ever we pick up along the way. It is a very good looking trailer well worth the money. huskycargo.com I got the HD series.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Ed,
If you do a search, you'll find a lot of discussions of pros and cons of about everything associated with enclosed trailers. There are many non-T things to consider, such as how much you can spend, what are you going to pull it with, and where are you going to keep it. I've bought a lot of trailers over the years that were available and cheap enough that I could "get by" with. Last summer I finally got the trailer I had wished I had for years! It's a 24' box plus the V-nose, so I can haul 2 T's. It's 8' inside, so I can haul my TT. It has an 8' wide drop down door up front to allow me to load 2 motorcycles or a golf cart crossways in front of a car/truck. It has two 7000 lb axles to carry whatever I need to carry. I deal with a company in FL that will custom build, and even provide a price list of the more common options like extra height, etc, to allow you to plan out your "dream" trailer and see the cost and adjust as necessary. Remember--all the builders can make a pretty one, but, look deeper at the functional stuff like size and distance of frame and crossmembers. To keep the cost down, many enclosed trailers come with 3500 lb axles, giving you a 7k capacity including the empty trailer which can weigh 4000 lbs. Plan and ask questions. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 12:00 am:

Thanks for the input guys. This is just what I hoped for. I am leaning towards an 18 foot long, 8.5' wide, 8.5' high trailer, with a V-nose. My wife has suggested selling our '26 depot hack to purchase a trailer for our freshly restored Fordor. We have three possible tow vehicles, a 2005 Yukon Denali with a 6.0, a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2, and a 1996 GMC C3500HD 18 foot flatbed with a 454. I have towed our 27 foot camper over 10,000 miles with the Denali. If I planned to tow full time with the GMC flatbed, I would buy a 24 footer. I can put a car on the deck of that truck, and still haul the camper very comfortably. But in reality I will tow mostly with the Yukon or Dodge, so the 18 footer will probably be the one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 12:19 am:

Ed - The size trailer that you just described is almost exactly the size I have in mind, except for one more thing:

As long as we're probably talking about a "custom" build, I'd also specify to the builder that besides the V-nose, I'd have the roof slanted downwards in the front as much as practicable, in the interest of further minimizing wind resistance,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 12:27 am:

Ed - The size trailer that you just described is almost exactly the size I have in mind, except for one more thing:

As long as we're probably talking about a "custom" build, I'd also specify to the builder that besides the V-nose, I'd have the roof slanted downwards in the front as much as practicable, in the interest of further minimizing wind resistance,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:38 am:

I will be bringing this truck and trailer to Chickasha for sale, I'm asking $10,000 for both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Ed,
With one that tall with a V nose, get them to add an extra foot to the tongue. You may want to pull it with a motorhome someday, and that extra foot keeps things apart going in and out of places.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration