Time to Charge a 6 Volt Battery

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Time to Charge a 6 Volt Battery
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Burton on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

What is the correct way to charge my 6 volt battery?
The charger I have is a 12 volt unit with settings for 2,6 and 12 amp.
Do I need to purchase 6 volt charger?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:35 pm:

Does your charger have a selector switch? If so just put it on 6 .If it is one of those digital POS,I'd buy a better charger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Burton on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

The charger has no option for a 6 volt setting. It is a newer electronic unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

If it were me, I'd get a 6 volt charger. That said, do a Google search on "charging a 6v battery with a 12v charger". Some links will come up with ways to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

I have 3 of this model and they have all worked very well for many years. They are no longer being made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Schauer-battery-charger-6-or-12-volts-Model-CRMF 612-USA-Made-Solid-state-/291402642124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d8f372cc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:05 pm:

Get another 6 volt battery. Wire with a heavy jumper cable. Connect the minus of battery #1 to the positive post of battery #2. Put the charger on the lowest amp setting 2 or 6 will work. Connect your positive cable of the battery charger plus to battery #1 and connect minus cable of battery charger to battery #2. Check batteries about every 4-6 hours. be sure and connect the chargers positive to a positive battery post and connect the minus of the battery charger to a minus on the battery That is how to use a 12 volt charger on a 6 volt battery, you just need two 6 volt batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Burton on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

Thanks for the advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Conte on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 07:05 pm:

For the cost of another 6 volt battery you can get a good 6 volt charger.
There's plenty out there.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A15707061%2Ck%3A6+volt+ charger&keywords=6+volt+charger&ie=UTF8&qid=1426374182&rnid=2941120011&ajr=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Last year I bought a real nice 6v/12v charger from Menards. Think it was only around $20. Works fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:05 am:

I've had this model from Harbor Freight for a while. I think I bought it on sale for less than this price though. While not automatic, it does a good job of charging the battery up fully in about four hours.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/battery/26-amp-612v-manual-ch arger-60322.html

On the hand it's getting to be spring and I'd bet you can find a good one at a local garage sale for a few bucks. I think the gal down the block has two in her garage that never get used. I may have to pick up a spare when she has her annual sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 08:30 am:

Everyone has their opinion, but this is by far one of the best chargers I have owned, and it does 6/12 volt as well as various types of batteries. I own the rebadged Mac Tools version of this, but here it is available from Napa.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Battery-Charger-Smart-C harger-Maintainer/_/R-SORPL2320_0085637623

And this is the Companies web site:

http://www.cloreautomotive.com/category.php?id=91

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

If the 12V charger is a simple unregulated type (i.e., a transformer and a rectifier only), then you can charge a 6V battery simply by connecting a headlight bulb in series with it to limit the current.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

I've been using one of these http://www.cyclegear.com/MEGABOOST-Pro-Series-4000-ChargerMaintainer for several years. It performs well for both 6 and 12 volt systems. For the price it is hard to beat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:02 am:

have a six/twelve volt selectable charger.

I accidentally left it on twelve volts charging a six volt battery.

It only took a few seconds, cooked!

New battery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 05:39 am:

No accidents with mine Brendan, it automatically adjusts to plate voltage and only shows amps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

There is a problem with using a 12v charger on a 6 v battery . On a 12 volt battery a 12v charger will begin to taper off the charge as the battery nears being fully charged. If connected to a 6 volt battery a 12 volt charger will see the battery as always being deeply discharged and will run full tilt until it overcharges the battery.

That said, if your careful and compute the number of amp hours going into the battery, it is possible to charge a 6v battery with a 12 volt charger.

Better (and cheaper) in the long run to get a charger that can be switched to 6v.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration