Ross steering box, the version I am making is for '26-7

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ross steering box, the version I am making is for '26-7
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 06:31 pm:

Last evening I was doing some final checks on bolt spacing and discovered to my horror that the original Ross box I was copying didn't line up with the holes in a lower column bearing and frame rail I had handy. I was quite distraut, and further realized that the slope of the column was different. Today a good friend came out and he pointed out that the '26-7 lower bearing was considerably different. Upon comparison it became obvious that what I am copying is the '26-7 version.
The '26-7 version has;
1. different hole locations
2. different slope
3. The column is moved about a inch closer to the frame rail (which of course explains why the drag link is longer for for these cars).

So what I am making is the '26-7 version and will not directly bolt into the earlier cars. I believe it could be installed into the earlier cars with a adapter block
OR
I might make another case pattern for the '25 and earlier in the future. Fortunately the case core box will remain the same and the sector support and all internals etc. remain the same.
So for those who have expressed interest please confirm that the '26-7 version is what you want or that you would be OK with a adapter block and taper shim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Les,

I will still be interested in the 26/27 style. Any idea yet of price? I may want two or three. Keep up the great progress!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

I was talking to another friend and he thought that perhaps the '26-7 column actually was angled very slightly to the side of the car.
So I did some more measuring and I am not finding that. Still, before I machine all the mounting faces (which is the first operation I will be doing), I am looking for any knowledgable input on this.

The problem, when doing what is referred to as "reverse engineering", is that the part I am measuring was made to a "manufacturing tolerance" AND has years of wear and use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

I understand (understood?) that the '26-7 Fordor column angle is different than the Tudor, Coupe, Roadster, and Touring. Any input ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Ed
I have heard that as well. I believe it was angled the same as the early cars. What I am making is for the other cars, but with a tapered shim might fit the 4 dr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Please put me on the list, when you figure out the pricing. edbaudoux@gmail dot com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:47 am:

OK I think I have emailed a price to all who have expressed interest over the years. Back in 2012 this ebay auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/360494401407?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m143 5.l2649 went for $2,300.00. I am not asking nearly that
So at this point I doubt I have any left for sale, but a second run might be justified. With sufficient interest I would consider making a run of '25 and older versions (it requires a new pattern for the box casting)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:21 am:

Les,can I also get info and pricing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 11:41 am:

Jack
Sorry I missed you. It is now sent to you as well. Thank you for your interest

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 03:34 pm:

All
It appears I am sold out at a price of $1,200.00 each. Upon further study I have concluded that the '26-7 version is easily adapted to the early car with a simple 1" wide spacer and a 5 degree wedge, so it becomes really difficult to justify the expense of another pattern, considering I probably have been able to pay myself a whole $5.00 per hour (and that is not for thinking time)!!!
I'm probably just "burnt out" on this project at the moment!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Will you be making more or was this to be the only production run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Derek
I don't have a good answer right now!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Les. Let me know if I could get in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hanson on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 05:39 pm:

Les,
If you decide on another run, put me down for one please. Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration