Ruckstell serial number

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ruckstell serial number
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:08 am:

I am in the process of building a Ruckstell and wondered if the serial number 92386 is simply a progressive number or if the numbers signify added info? Any way to tell what year it was manufactured?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 07:26 am:

Is it a small drum or large drum axle? A large drum must have been made 1926 or later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 08:46 am:

Large

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:21 am:

That number is relatively early, and definitely a small drum. Maybe Glen Chaffin has all the numbers. They seem to have made around 200,000 of them. I have a plate the is 194785, and is an Eaton.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 08:03 pm:

Tom, Your number appears to be an early number. Are the corners of your name plate square or tapered. The later plates were tapered. Ruckstell produced over 630,000 Ruckstells so you are a long way from a 26-27 number. Someone may have replaced your plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

Thanks Glen. I have about got it all together and notice that the plates have different size rivets from side to side holding them on the axle housing. And the plate has square corners. This is why I asked. It has all gone back together well and it appears to have little wear, inside and out.
Thanks for the info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 09:14 pm:

Glenn, I beg a question, when was the last axle made? 1930? or? I have a TT rux that is in the 62?,??? will check tomorrow. I know it cam out of a 1927 TT frame by the sn on the frame. J

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

This is on a TT Ruckstell.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, March 15, 2015 - 10:27 pm:

Jerome, Ruckstell sold his rights to the Ruckstell Axle to Eaton around 1928. Eaton did not continue to manufacture and sell Ruckstells but used the patents and design in their heavy duty truck axles. They still do today.The whole story is in my book, "Glover E. Ruckstell and The Ruckstelll Axle." You should read it. Ruckstell was an amazing guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, March 16, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Tom, did someone mess up your rivet holes? They usually have the same size drive? rivets on both sides.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration